Carnival Cancels All Stops at Antigua

JT1962

Not many details yet, but apparently Carnival has cancelled all future stops in Antigua. This will probably affect all Carnival Corporation Lines - Carnival, Costa, Holland America, Princess, etc. No specific reasons given in the articles below, but recent crimes against cruise passengers and / or monetary issues regarding access to the port could be issues.

http://www.nationnews.com/nationnews/news/238844/carnival-cruise-lines-cancels-stops-antigua

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-ships-to-stop-sailing-to-caribbean-port/30177

Edited by JT1962

This had to be $ related.  I saw somewhere else that they were trying to claim there was a travel advisory.  There isn’t.  Travel advisory is level 1, normal caution.  I would like to see a formal announcement from Carnival.  I’m sure it will be BS and talk about things other then it costing them more money. 

I was in Antigua recently for a land vacation. I felt safer there then I do in the US.  Many people at the resort I was at did not think twice about grabbing a local bus into town.  We walked around St. John’s and never felt uneasy.  I know people who have family there.  The crime there is a fraction of what you would find in any US city.  

Its a shame.  It’s a gorgeous island with amazing sites and amazing people and stunning beaches.  I can’t wait to go back.

You have to wonder why Carnival isn’t going there yet continues to go to the Bahamas and Jamaica??? $$$$$ that’s why.   

• Like 2

It sounds like it is all about the money:

Carnival said:

”Government officials in Antigua have taken steps which indicate they don’t want cruise lines and our guests to visit so for the time being we are focusing our itineraries on the destinations that are more welcoming.”

Antigua PM Browne said:

“The reality is that the FCCA is literally exploiting the Caribbean. So you will charge, for example, thousands of dollars for your visitors to the Caribbean – and I know that the cruise business is capital intensive – but when you are giving these countries five or six dollars per head this cannot cover the capital costs for the infrastructure”

The President of the Antigua and Barbuda Cruise Tourism Association said:

“I am afraid that we may see more cancellations and it is indeed cause for concern as these cancellations will impact everyone business from store owners to tour operators and bars and restaurants, etc.”

I also saw the following which could be more telling:

"Even though an official reason has been provided by Carnival there could be more behind it. The island is making a multi-million dollar agreement with London-based Global Ports Holding. The agreement is set to expand the cruise port at Antigua. This is also the same company who recently announced a huge development investment for an expanded cruise port at Nassau, Bahamas."  and

"The Antigua and Barbuda government recently selected Global Ports Holdings for the development of the island's cruise port, rejecting a rival bid backed by the cruise industry."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know anything about this current change of itineraries - but I can say that I have visited Antigua several times (last time about 2 years ago, admittedly), and have always felt very comfortable to travel around on local buses, despite sometimes travelling alone. Especially a treat to beat the cruise crowds to English Harbour and have the place almost to myself for an hour or so!

I do hope this doesn't hit the economy of this beautiful - and very welcoming - island.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Our November 2020 Princess Cruise booked this week is scheduled for Antigua, so perhaps this isn’t a Carnival Corp-wide issue.  Such a lovely place, so I hope we keep our original itinerary. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got an email a week ago that Caribbean Princess won't be stopping at Antigua Feb 20, 2020. St Maarten has been substituted. Only reason given was "operational considerations". I think that could be anything!

Very disappointed, we had booked a day on a cat to see turtles and have a lobster lunch!