Carry off own luggage

bclub

1 minute ago, bclub said:

Cruising on Britannia in April to the Norwegian Fjords. Does anyone know if we can disembark early carrying our own luggage?

Yes is the simple answer.

From about 7.30 I believe.

We don't do it mainly because I am not carrying Michelle's 25 bags of cocktail dresses and shoes down the stairs!!!

We tend to have breakfast then a leisurely stroll off around 9.30, but we only live up the road so no rush for us.

Andy

11 minutes ago, bclub said:

Cruising on Britannia in April to the Norwegian Fjords. Does anyone know if we can disembark early carrying our own luggage?

We always carry our own luggage off the ship.

There is a lift down to ground level.

Thanx everyone, just got my package and it state’s that you can leave between 9-11. We have a flight from Southampton @10:25. As we only have 1 roll aboard each, (sorry AndyMichelle,) we are happy to walk off and even down stairs, if it means we can leave earlier. 

6 minutes ago, bclub said:

Thanx everyone, just got my package and it state’s that you can leave between 9-11. We have a flight from Southampton @10:25. As we only have 1 roll aboard each, (sorry AndyMichelle,) we are happy to walk off and even down stairs, if it means we can leave earlier. 

How do you cope without 20 pairs of shoes, even if you only wear 2 the whole cruise? Apparently she needs choices...

Have a fantastic time.

Andy

What u might find even more amazing, Andy, we are coming off a 13 day TA the day we board Britannia. Maybe it's a British thing, my SIL visited us in the U.S. and brought a suitcase full of shoes. My brother was not happy.

Guess I've lived in the States too long. 3 pairs, 1, I'll be wearing. Hope it doesn't snow, as I'll not have any boots.

20 hours ago, bclub said:

Thanx everyone, just got my package and it state’s that you can leave between 9-11. 

This is the time slot for people who are NOT carrying off their luggage. Self disembarkation is as soon as the ship is tied up on the dock, usually around 0715-0730.

Brian

Not sure if this applies to the terminal but we did that once and sadly the ship was late arriving and it was pretty chaotic.

My only concern was the escalator. We didn't use the lift and chose to use the escalator with the cases. I am quite small and I didn't realise until standing on the escalator that the cases were behind me and if they toppled so did I. They were steep escalators and I vowed not to do that again!

Not the cruise lines fault, mine for not thinking. Just thought I'd share if it helps anyone

Edited by Presto2

3 hours ago, bclub said:

What u might find even more amazing, Andy, we are coming off a 13 day TA the day we board Britannia. Maybe it's a British thing, my SIL visited us in the U.S. and brought a suitcase full of shoes. My brother was not happy.

Guess I've lived in the States too long. 3 pairs, 1, I'll be wearing. Hope it doesn't snow, as I'll not have any boots.

Blimey. How will you cope in the snow in your flip flops... 

Have a fantastic time, it sounds amazing.

Andy

I always use the escalator as I don't like lifts and anyway there's always a queue and I just want to get away. They always try and persuade women into the lifts, especially if they're not very tall. Fortunately at 5 feet 7 inches I'm tall enough to manage my large case. A good tip if you self disembark is to take a small rucksack as hand luggage; it's on your back giving you both hands free to manage the case. My case normally goes with the Baggage Handling Company so it's great to get the train with just a small but surprisingly capacious rucksack.

Saves on taxis too; you can walk to and from the station unless it's pouring down.

Good tip,Coldia.  I’ve heard the lifts are a nightmare on P&O at any time. Cannot imagine what it is like when 3,000+ people are trying to disembark. I’ve found on most cruise ships people are always polite, UNTIL it’s time to get off the ship. I’ve seen people nearly come to blows. At one port they had to bring down the Captain to calm people down. It was very scary. We’re happy to take the stairs for most of our time on board. Have bought a sling backpack, so with only 1 suitcase each, it should not be a problem. If we can beat the hoards.