Equinox vs. Silhouette

alpha58

We've had two cruises on Equinox, Western Carib in 2014 and Med (Barcelona to Athens) in 2015, and loved them both. We're booked on Silhouette for a Caribbean sailing on 3/24. Looking on the website, I'm seeing more differences than expected between the two S class ships.  

Things we particularly liked on Equinox -- Oceanview Bar, provided a shady area for drinks in the rear of the ship.  Gastropub, craft beers! Bistro on 5, a nice change. From what I can gather, none of these are available on Silhouette. At least Café Al Bacio seems to be intact. Any Silhouette fans have ideas for substitutions? 

Been on both did not notice the things you mentioned ,both are great ships I like the Silhouette a little better.When we were on the Equniox we found the gastro pub empty most of the time . We found a nice quiet place to get away.

Edited by dolittle
add info

Assume you are talking 2020.  Since Equinox will be Revolutionized by then it is impossible to make a comparison.  Personally we like the Silhouette better because of the Lawn Club Grill, but who knows what will happen with Equinox.

Some of the changes since 2015 apply to Equinox as well. Now I haven’t sailed on it, but my understanding is that bistro on five is gone from all ships, replaced by Sushi on five. Silhouette has a sunset bar that may be similar to the oceanview bar on Equinox. Equinox is the only ship ive heard of with a gastropub however.

45 minutes ago, alpha58 said:

We've had two cruises on Equinox, Western Carib in 2014 and Med (Barcelona to Athens) in 2015, and loved them both. We're booked on Silhouette for a Caribbean sailing on 3/24. Looking on the website, I'm seeing more differences than expected between the two S class ships.  

Things we particularly liked on Equinox -- Oceanview Bar, provided a shady area for drinks in the rear of the ship.  Gastropub, craft beers! Bistro on 5, a nice change. From what I can gather, none of these are available on Silhouette. At least Café Al Bacio seems to be intact. Any Silhouette fans have ideas for substitutions? 

You should not be too disappointed depending on your priorities.  Bistro on 5 has been converted to Sushi on 5 on both ships.  You can enjoy drinks in the Oceanview Cafe at the rear of the ship or the Sunset Bar one deck up.  There is also some shade available on the side and at the bar in the Sunset Bar area.

As mentioned the Silhouette has the Lawn Grill Specialty restaurant and it also has the Porch.

I believe the Equinox is the only Celebrity ship with the Gastobar, but you can enjoy/purchase you craft/specialty beers in the wine cellar on the Silhouette.

Thanks for the answers, everyone. I think what I'll miss the most is the Oceanview Bar. We found it to be not overly crowded (unlike Sunset) and shady (unlike most of Sunset). I know we can fetch drinks ourselves and schlep them to the back of the Oceanview. Not quite the same as having a bar and waitstaff right there.

I am looking forward to trying the Lawn Grill though. 

We actually enjoy both.  But really like the Silhouette more.  Have upcoming reservations on both again.

The Silhouette is newer and we love the lawn grill. Many people enjoy the porch also.  We also like to book a cabana. 

The Equinox still has the glass blowing area.  After a few cruises, enough to see.  Seating uncomfortable and the area is so hot during the day.  Hopefully before our August Equinox cruise, the glass blowing area will be removed and replaced with the lawn grill our favorite restaurant.

Bistro on 5 has been removed on all X ships and replaced with Sushi on 5 (which is mostly empty at all times on all ships). The Corning association no longer exists, but on the ships that formerly had the Corning Glass ship, there are now extra fee glass blowing classes available. The Lawn Club Grille on Silhouette (and Reflection) is located in that area and is a dining for fee venue that many folks love. We enjoy the Sunset Bar on deck 15(?) aft and it's a great venue for a sail away.

We’ve sailed twice on the Silhouette, and while we haven’t sailed on the Equinox, we’ve sailed on the Eclipse.  For us, having the Lawn Club Grill on the Silhouette gives her the edge.  And, overall, the Silhouette is our favorite ship. 

WE have sailed on both ships and like the Silhouette better.  The Silhouette has a Hideaway near the Hump on Deck 8 which provides a quiet place to read and coffee & tea are available all day long.  Very convenient for us, especially with a hump cabin on Deck 8.  The Equinox has a special whisky tasting lounge on Deck 15 which few people know about.  Ask at the liquor shop abot tastings if you are on the Equinox.

Edited by CRUISER166
hit wrong key and prematurely posted unfinished post.
  • Like 1

We are currently on Silhouette in the Caribbean, its our fourth time on this ship (previous cruises in The Med) and in my view it has the best layout at the rear of the Oceanview as it has more tables for al fresco dining in the shade. The physical bar is missing yes but they always (weather permitting) set up a mobile mini bar from about midday till late and there are wait staff especially during lunch times. They quickly learn what drinks passengers are asking for and try to make sure they are there. If not the first couple of days then the wait staff will get them from the internal OV or Sunset bars. 

The above poster was correct about Sushi on 5, it was almost empty every time we pasted it on  our Feb. 22nd cruise. We use to enjoy Bistro on five.

Edited by Decpl
spelling

The Equinox still has the glass blowing area.  After a few cruises, enough to see.  Seating uncomfortable and the area is so hot during the day.  Hopefully before our August Equinox cruise, the glass blowing area will be removed and replaced with the lawn grill our favorite restaurant.

There is a dining guide on one of Celebrity’s sites. It definitely does not indicate a Lawn Club Grill will be added but they are adding cabanas to the lawn. No clues if there will be a change to the glass blowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Bistro on 5 has been removed on all X ships and replaced with Sushi on 5 (which is mostly empty at all times on all ships).

This was our experience in November.   They should move Cafe Al Bacio into that space.  There is never enough seating for those who want it.   We really liked the Hideaway on Silhouette, especially now there is coffee service in there all day.  

• Like 1

There is a bar outside the Ocean View cafe on Silhouette, but we found it was not well stocked, but the servers would go up to the Sunset bar to get your favourite drink.

Both the attached pictures were taken while seated at the outside section of the Ocean View. As we were sailing in the Baltic we choose to sit in the sun, but there were defiantly shaded areas.

F0B7DA94-AA7D-4B47-A7C1-F493EFE13C0B.jpeg

T

D2FFE98C-52CD-49AD-90CF-1C6BE187D401.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk