Cruise Critic Community
Florida_cruisers

How will RCL pull this deal? Guarantee cabin on a sold out ship

My friend wants to join our upcoming cruise and I looked on RCL and various other travel websites, there’s no cabins available. She then called the cruise line and they “found” a cabin for her somehow, so she booked a guarantee inside cabin on a sold out sailing where there’s only ONE suite left. There are no other cabins left in the whole ship. What do you think RCL will do? Upgrade someone else and give her their cabin? Certainly I wouldn’t expect them to give her the suite that’s going for $8k when she booked a guarantee inside, right? 

I would guess Royal would use the "Royal UP" program to bump up a handful of people.  Owner Suite to Royal Suite, Junior Suite to Owner Suite, Balcony to Jr Suite, Ocean View to Balcony, Inside to Ocean View - and voila, an inside stateroom is now available.     (and Royal gets a bunch more money from all the other upgrades).

Royal does not always show all their available cabins.  Chances are your friend will het an inside cabin. 

Just like an airline there is a small amount of overbooking as well.   There are always cancellations, and RCI typically has cabins that were not available for booking.   

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Just like an airline there is a small amount of overbooking as well.   

And what happens if no one cancels? Airlines offer incentives for people to take alternate flights. I can’t imagine cruiselines doing that, especially when other travel arrangements are involved (airfare, hotel). This is for a Mediterranean cruise. 

Edited by Florida_cruisers

Posted (edited)

If you're talking about your May Jewel of the Seas, I just checked my go to on-line cruise broker and they have insides available on every sailing plus other categories.

Edited by Big_G

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Florida_cruisers said:

And what happens if no one cancels? Airlines offer incentives for people to take alternate flights. I can’t imagine cruiselines doing that, especially when other travel arrangements are involved (airfare, hotel). This is for a Mediterranean cruise. 

I am not sure how they pick people but there are threads on CC about how they got bumped from a cruise and were offered some compensation.

I think the most recent I read about was a mediterannean cruise.  RCI does whatever they want.  They cancel whole cruises just because some company wants to charter the boat.  Cancelling one or two cabins for overbooking is nothing.  Sadly it happens and is not the best way to build a reputation but they do it anyway.  It’s all about the dollar.

Recently had a friend who’s whole cruise was cancelled due to a charter.  They typically give a handful of alternatives for the same price on various dates and maybe $200 in airline change fees.  That’s it.

Edited by rimmit

32 minutes ago, Big_G said:

If you're talking about your May Jewel of the Seas, I just checked my go to on-line cruise broker and they have insides available on every sailing plus other categories.

For May 29, 2019? I don’t see it and I’ve looked in many cruise travel sites.... 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Florida_cruisers said:

For May 29, 2019? I don’t see it and I’ve looked in many cruise travel sites.... 

I'm seeing all categories on that sailing. I'd post the site but I've been spanked before for trying to sneak it in. The prices highlighted in blue are special offers. If a category is sold out they replace the price with the word Call.

image.png.49b33639fc646f067c6baf109e62cc0d.png

Example of one almost sold out.

image.png.85deccfb9184bbbd86e2d425cc8b1fb3.png

Edited by Big_G

10 minutes ago, Florida_cruisers said:

as of right now there is one J3 junior suite and one oceanview gty available.. so they are moving things around

the GTY booking is likely to get the category they paid for, and they will "bump" someone up  (who paid more) to a better cabin.

If the inside cabins are truly sold out, passengers who paid a higher fare might find themselves upgraded to a higher category cabin (either inside their cabin type or next class up, i.e.; inside to another inside or inside to oceanview).

Plan on your friend being assigned the least desirable inside cabin on the ship. Anything better should be looked upon as good fortune.

Not a shuffling game at all.  All cruise lines have a hold on several cabins in different areas of the ship.  They have to do this because there are always a few cabins that will require moving for various reasons.  People have to be relocated due to plumbing problems etc.  We were moved from an inside deck 2 cabin to a deck 8 ocean view balcony in the middle of a cruise due to the impossible noise problem we had from the cleaning crews.  Unable to sleep and awakened every morning about 3:00am because we were beneath the deck 3 restrooms.  They offered us this resolution, we did not ask for another cabin, but it was available so they moved us.  Another great RCCL service story!  In any event, they always have cabins available in such cases even though they don't show on web sites.

4 hours ago, Florida_cruisers said:

Cruise lines do this all the time.  It's called a move-over offer.  You take a different cruise and generally get your entire original fare back as a combination of onboard credit and future cruise credit.  Generally they also offer some airline change fees and may offer price protection on some alternative cruises.

Have seen only one case of someone being bumped, and they eventually wound up on the ship anyway.

Charters happen generally 8-12 months out.  We had a Mariner cruise chartered where we would get back to Miami and switch to another ship in Fort Lauderdale.  Booked Brilliance out of Tampa to replace it and had a day to drive across the state to meet the second ship.  In our case had not booked flights yet.

5 hours ago, Florida_cruisers said:

My friend wants to join our upcoming cruise and I looked on RCL and various other travel websites, there’s no cabins available. She then called the cruise line and they “found” a cabin for her somehow, so she booked a guarantee inside cabin on a sold out sailing where there’s only ONE suite left. There are no other cabins left in the whole ship. What do you think RCL will do? Upgrade someone else and give her their cabin? Certainly I wouldn’t expect them to give her the suite that’s going for $8k when she booked a guarantee inside, right? 

Mine is not a suite, but I just booked a guarantee balcony cabin for a 9 niter on Anthem Aug. 29th cruise.  There are 3+ different guarantee pricing.  Chose a type 5D balcony guarantee that will be between deck 8-11 and it's not a obstructed view. 

The pricing was excellent and hoping for the best.

5 hours ago, Rewind said:

I would guess Royal would use the "Royal UP" program to bump up a handful of people.  Owner Suite to Royal Suite, GRAND SUITE TO OWNERS SUITE, Junior Suite to GRAND Suite, Balcony to Jr Suite, Ocean View to Balcony, Inside to Ocean View - and voila, an inside stateroom is now available.     (and Royal gets a bunch more money from all the other upgrades).

FTFY

Posted (edited)

I booked a grand suite, our first. It would be awesome if we got upgraded to the owner’s suite 🙏

Edit: we have cabin 1554 and the balcony looks bigger on the deck plans than the owner’s suites 1560 and 1568. So maybe what we have is better. 

Edited by Florida_cruisers

1 hour ago, SRF said:

FTFY

As I was writing that out, I knew I had missed one...   but we book the steerage class so I'm not too familiar with the suites.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:05 AM, Big_G said:

I'm seeing all categories on that sailing. I'd post the site but I've been spanked before for trying to sneak it in. The prices highlighted in blue are special offers. If a category is sold out they replace the price with the word Call.

image.png.49b33639fc646f067c6baf109e62cc0d.png

Example of one almost sold out.

image.png.85deccfb9184bbbd86e2d425cc8b1fb3.png

Is there anyway you can share your on-line cruise broker?  I'm getting very depressed thinking going on a sold out cruise isn't happening and I've been doing so much research and calling anyone I can think of 😞 I tried messaging you but for some reason I'm not allowed to message (new to this site so not sure why)

15 minutes ago, squeeky126 said:

Is there anyway you can share your on-line cruise broker?  I'm getting very depressed thinking going on a sold out cruise isn't happening and I've been doing so much research and calling anyone I can think of 😞 I tried messaging you but for some reason I'm not allowed to message (new to this site so not sure why)

No.  That is the ultimate rule on this site.

And private messaging is disabled.  You can only communicate like this.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

7 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

No.  That is the ultimate rule on this site.

And private messaging is disabled.  You can only communicate like this.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Stinks 😞 I really need help, thought this was a good source to come to

4 minutes ago, squeeky126 said:

Stinks 😞 I really need help, thought this was a good source to come to

It is a good source, just ask for what you need.

58 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

It is a good source, just ask for what you need.

Not knowing all of the rules or ins/outs, can the Ops communicate the needed info via e-mail.