What is the cruising experience on the Sky with the open bar?

LoveTheSea84

Hello everyone.

I haven't been on a cruise in about 7 years - prior to this, I have been on the Jewel, Gem and Breakaway.  I generally love the Norwegian freestyle dining, and although I hear and appreciate some people's complaints about how this cruise line nickels and dimes, I have just never felt the same way. But I still respect their point of view! I'm laying that all out just to let everyone know that I have sailed with them before, I'm overall pleased with their ships and business model.  I just have some questions about their new initiatives and other ships/ports.

That being said, I'm looking for a vacation for my honeymoon and we found the cruise to Cuba/GSC on the Sky that leaves out of Miami.  This ship/sailing also offers "open bar" and one package upgrade per person.  All of that being said, I have a few questions.

1. Does anyone have experience with the Sky, especially since it was dry docked? I know its one of the older/smaller ships, but I have also sailed on the Jewel/Gem and found them to be big and enjoyable enough. Is the Sky comparable? 

2. We are really picking this cruise because of the stop in Havana - has anyone taken this route? Was it fun? Was it worthwhile if this is the port we are really looking forward to going to? (I'm also looking forward to GSC because I haven't been since they were doing renovations!)

3. (and most importantly) how does all of this open bar stuff work?  The route advertises "open bar for all" but then there is also a package upgrade available that is "drink package" - is there a difference between these two? Why would someone choose both of these options? 

I like to drink and especially on vacation, so a drink package would benefit both of us - however I"m not super picky. If there are included drinks and wine, I will opt for those.  i've read about how the packages include drinks up to $15 but there are up charges for other options, and that often the 'included' alcohol is sold out - is this an experience that many people have had? Are the included drinks super watered down and disgusting? Are the lines for drinks really that unbearable? Is there really hardly any alcohol that is included to be found? Also, does this include drinks/wine at dinner? 

4. Finally, if there is no difference and we have the unlimited bar included anyway, should we opt for the dining package? The last time I sailed with Norwegian, it would be the cover charge for the specialty restaurants and then you just ordered - does the package just mean the cover charge is waived? Some people have alluded to "al la carte", and I"m just wondering if this means that you get in for free but still have to pay per item on the menu for the specialty restaurants?

Thank you again for reading and considering my questions in my stream of consciousness! 

1 hour ago, LoveTheSea84 said:

Hello everyone.

That being said, I'm looking for a vacation for my honeymoon and we found the cruise to Cuba/GSC on the Sky that leaves out of Miami.  This ship/sailing also offers "open bar" and one package upgrade per person.  All of that being said, I have a few questions.

1. Does anyone have experience with the Sky, especially since it was dry docked? I know its one of the older/smaller ships, but I have also sailed on the Jewel/Gem and found them to be big and enjoyable enough. Is the Sky comparable? 

2. We are really picking this cruise because of the stop in Havana - has anyone taken this route? Was it fun? Was it worthwhile if this is the port we are really looking forward to going to? (I'm also looking forward to GSC because I haven't been since they were doing renovations!)

3. (and most importantly) how does all of this open bar stuff work? 

In answer to some of your questions, if you are not too picky, you will be happy with the drinks and wine offered with open bar. Re the Sky, we were on in October 2018, just before dry dock and the public areas and furniture looked warn. I am sure it looks better now. The only thing I found a bit disappointing in our balcony room is that the sliding glass door, instead of being two panels of glass, is one panel of glass and the other panel is solid with just a porthole window. It lessens the amount of natural light coming in, but we didn't spend much time in the room.  Re Cuba, you will find a lot of good info in the forum topic on Cuba. Enjoy!