Restricted diet, milk

Tealmuso

I’m sailing on MSC Armonia on 8th April, this is my first ever cruise and I’m beyond excited. I’m severely lactose intolerant and I was wondering if I’m able to bring lactose free milk on board to use at breakfast etc. Does anyone know if this is possible and if so where I can store it? Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Tealmuso said:

I’m sailing on MSC Armonia on 8th April, this is my first ever cruise and I’m beyond excited. I’m severely lactose intolerant and I was wondering if I’m able to bring lactose free milk on board to use at breakfast etc. Does anyone know if this is possible and if so where I can store it? Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you inform MSC before you sail of your dietary requirements, they can facilitate you:

Guests with food intolerances and/or allergies are asked to inform MSC Cruises of their requirements through the Special Needs Form, and, once on board, to confirm their needs at the Reception – Guest Service and/or with the Maître d’Hôtel. 
If informed in advance, on-board staff will be happy to assist guests in choosing dishes that do not contain foods or ingredients that could cause an allergic reaction. 

In order to be able to provide our guests with the best possible on-board experience, we need to be aware of all our guests’ special needs in good time, regardless of their complexity. We therefore ask that guests inform us of any needs they have when they make their booking, or at the latest two working days before departure. After this deadline, we may be unable to provide the level of assistance required.

Special Needs Form.pdf

If you would like to know how this works on board if you've filled out the form in advance, I'm celiac (gluten intolerant) and have been on two MSC cruises. Not sure if they follow the same procedure for lactose intolerant, but I'll share anyway. 

• They have a separate kitchen for special diets.
  • You get a different waiter at dinner than the rest of your table. They give you a special menu and take your order.
  • Breakfast and lunch are best to be had at the restaurant, so the staff can accommodate your diet. There's no dietary information at the buffet, so it's at your own risk. You can ask the staff of course, but I've often find they got no clue. So I prefer the restaurant. No cross contamination risks either. The waiter for your table will get the "special requests breakfast/lunch waiter" (as I call them) and they will hand you the menu and take your order.
  • The menu for breakfast is always the same (as it is for everyone else). The lunch and dinner menus are different every day. Sometimes the menu is similar to the menu of the other guests at your table, but often that's not the case.
  • The one down side is: your food will be served at its own pace, so not in sync with the rest of the table. I've been in situations where I got dessert and the rest of the table hadn't even gotten their starter, or the other way around. Kinda takes the fun out of eating together, but that's just something you have to deal with, as you have no other choice 🙂

Hope this helps 🙂

*edit: I didn't answer your question, lol. There's a good chance they have lactose free milk on board. You could call and check to make sure. If they don't have it, I think it's no problem that you bring it and store it in your mini bar. If they ask you about it, you've got a good explanation. I've brought gluten free foods on board as wel, never had any questions. 

Edited by mrisj