Impressions from first time Azamara cruiser

ak1004

9 minutes ago, nordski said:

Last spring we were able to use Facetime using the ship's network whilr in one of our ports. I don't think there can be any guarantee of speed given the different locations the ships visit.

As has been pointed out, at times in Norway we lost all internet connection and even occasionally TV reception.

Yes, there are also issues in the Middle East  and India, nothing to do with speeds but it gets blocked from land, Jordan we could not have internet all the time we were there.  I have to use the internet to access work systems and it has not been a smooth time onboard across the world.  You cannot say yes it will work, I would say in about 75% cases it works to variable speeds some of which are not sufficient to allow me to get through the various security hoops some business systems have set.  I did find it far better on Celebrity than Azamara and Pursuit was particularly poor in South America but I also know IT guys were still working onboard trying to set things up (hence no interactive TVs, stories about new servers then being needed, then new servers were found not to be the solution etc) so I am not sure if that was ship or location or both.

8 hours ago, flyingshoes said:

Onboard network speed in mbps.  Satellite up/down is the weak link and is slower than that of course.  I send 5 mb photos via email, manage my banking and financials, pay bills, post 10 photos ar a time on FB, use MarineTraffic and Windy apps, etc.  Streaming is a non-starter although I have heard from fellow pax that Facetime and the like work (can't vouch for that).  WhatsApp works fine for calls and texts, including photos.

You get 30-45 mbps???  I find it very hard to believe. From my screenshot posted earlier you can see less than 0.5 mbps and this was in the top range of the speed.

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

You get 30-45 mbps???  I find it very hard to believe. From my screenshot posted earlier you can see less than 0.5 mbps and this was in the top range of the speed.

I think that time relates to onboard network speed only. I'm sure it also depends on which cabin your in with regards to the proximity of the router nearest your cabin. Since my DW likes to access the internet from our regular balcony cabin rather than some "hot spot" common area, would it make a difference if instead we booked a suite? I hope not, but since you pay a big chunk more for a suite, it would kind of make sense.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

10 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I think that time relates to onboard network speed only. I'm sure it also depends on which cabin your in with regards to the proximity of the router nearest your cabin. Since my DW likes to access the internet from our regular balcony cabin rather than some "hot spot" common area, would it make a difference if instead we booked a suite? I hope not, but since you pay a big chunk more for a suite, it would kind of make sense.

It makes no difference indeed in my experience some of the suites (e.g. around 8058 on Journey) are blackspot and if I am staying in them, I have found moving to Mosaic cafe was a better spot.  Poolside was also quite good (though I prefer to see poolside as my leisure spot and never work there)

Edited by uktog

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

There was a router in the Club World we had on Pursuit, it was mounted on the lounge ceiling, given the size of a CW it made sense. For The Club Continents on deck 8 they were mounted in the corridor as normal.

Internet on Pursuit wasn’t great but at the time they were still working with the old system P&O had installed but with upgraded routers. We were also in Norway so satellite reception was not always possible but we had good 4g coverage with our phones so it didn’t matter.

• Like 1

I have to admit to occasionally going out into the corridor to be near a router in order to download my newspaper, especially at busy times (it is definitely slower at some times of day then others. 8:00am is usually slow - I guess when lots of people are looking at their emails!)

• Like 1

Well, since we won’t be booking an AZ cruise until after the complete cruise itineraries are posted through Dec 2021, I guess we’ll hold off making a decision until that time. Maybe by then AZ will see the importance of quality internet service in the balcony cabins, especially if they are charging around $1,000 per day to occupy those cabins on some of their more cool itineraries. If not, that’s ok too as there are other cruise lines. Oceania’s R class ships come to mind. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I'm not sure what is onboard network speed. I was referring to download speed on your device, as measured by Speedtest. 

Yes, there are some differences depending on your location, but more expensive cabin doesn't necessarily mean faster internet. This is true on any ship. What matters is where the routers are located.

regardless, there is no chance you can get anywhere close to 30-45 Mbps. This would put you in a high range of what most people get at home. The highest I have seen on a ship was around 10+ Mbps on Regal Princess, and this is considered excellent for a cruise ship.

Can you "manage" with 0.5 Mbps? Sure. People "managed" with much less 10-20 years ago. But this is not what I would expect from a luxury ship in 2019. As I mentioned, this is obviously not a priority for Azamara and most their guests (as you can clearly see even from the comments here), so I wouldn't hold my breath for much higher speeds.

Onboard network means peer-to-peer onboard.  You probably have an internal network where you work?

Speedtest speed much slower.  But it works for all but streaming in most parts, but not all parts, of the world.  

Many people, crew particularly, use free wifi in terminals if high bandwidth is needed since satellite is not involved. 

Undeveloped, restricted, and areas nearer the poles have their own issues with speed or availability.  Depends on the itinerary.  Most people can adapt.

Yes, internet is better on some other ships.

And, no, the class of stateroom on Azamara makes no difference.  

Twenty cruises on all 3 Azamara ships worldwide.  130 nights on Azamara in 2018.  I manage just fine.

Sure. And as long as people say that they "manage" or "adapt", Azamara has really no reason to invest money in faster internet.

To me, providing such pathetic internet service and charging $20/day for it is simply lack of respect. Those speeds were acceptable 10 years ago. Not today, and not on a luxury ship. But then again, if most guests don't care, why should they? The cruise director admitted it is not a priority for them.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, JackieJoey said:

First time Azamara Club cruiser on The Quest for Japan Intensive.   Can someone advise as to what toiletries are available in the cabin and their quality. 

As a first timer you may find it helpful to look at the sticky topic Tips for Azamara Newbies in the Azamara Club Cruises Forum. This is discussed there and is on the associated spread-sheet. The brand is Eco Boutique and there’s a photo of it in post #198 in that topic. You get shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, a decent size soap and body lotion. They are in little containers and these are replaced frequently. I’m very happy to use them.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 2:25 PM, flyingshoes said:

Onboard network means peer-to-peer onboard.  You probably have an internal network where you work?

Speedtest speed much slower.  But it works for all but streaming in most parts, but not all parts, of the world.  

Many people, crew particularly, use free wifi in terminals if high bandwidth is needed since satellite is not involved. 

Undeveloped, restricted, and areas nearer the poles have their own issues with speed or availability.  Depends on the itinerary.  Most people can adapt.

Yes, internet is better on some other ships.

And, no, the class of stateroom on Azamara makes no difference.  

Twenty cruises on all 3 Azamara ships worldwide.  130 nights on Azamara in 2018.  I manage just fine.

Having just spent sometime in a Club World suite I consider that the internet speed is much better there than in other staterooms on Azamara. Previously I have experienced poor wifi speed but this time in the Club World (with a router in the suite) it was very obviously better.

On 3/28/2019 at 1:26 AM, JackieJoey said:

First time Azamara Club cruiser on The Quest for Japan Intensive.   Can someone advise as to what toiletries are available in the cabin and their quality. 

I can not use anything AZ gives in bathroom. Bring your own

• Like 1

Well, speaking personally I don't like the Eco boutique shower gel or shampoo and conditioner and I always bring my own. 

I have sensitive skin and the shower gel brings me out in a rash and the shampoo and conditioner leaves my hair like straw. I didn't like the previous incarnation of About Rose toiletries either. 

It's L'Occitane shower gel for me and I have just discovered Philip Kingsley hair products. They are fantastic. 

However if you can use any toiletries without problems then you should be OK with the Eco boutique. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

Well, speaking personally I don't like the Eco boutique shower gel or shampoo and conditioner and I always bring my own. 

I have sensitive skin and the shower gel brings me out in a rash and the shampoo and conditioner leaves my hair like straw. I didn't like the previous incarnation of About Rose toiletries either. 

It's L'Occitane shower gel for me and I have just discovered Philip Kingsley hair products. They are fantastic. 

However if you can use any toiletries without problems then you should be OK with the Eco boutique. 

Same for me no matter what cruise line. Must be something about being Blonde and fair skin? We do have more fun though 😉

• 2 weeks later...

For the Sao Paulo tour, i was on one of the tour, we were lucky and left Sao Paulo at a good time, there was a big car accident on the  highway that's why there was a gigantic traffic jam.  When we were at the site of the accident our guide phone other buses and he told us that you had to slow down because of the heavy rain, and the traffic will increase even more as time past.  That's not Azamara's fault.  They could not know that there will be a big accident and heavy rain.  We were able to have time to shower, change for white and have a couple f drinks  before the white night start. For the tour, they did the tour as it was in the tour descriptive, nowhere it says walking tour in the city. The restaurant for lunch had a view to die for but for me it was the food that was not good, i ate two bites and that was it, but that's me.  It did not change my exerience. We had a great guide. All the tour we took were great and we never have problem with waiting but we alway took the 08:00 tour.  We read carefully each desciptive, and we choose wisely.  We took the ilhabella tour beach with jeep, Paraty , waterfalls by 4x4 ,Buzios the Trolley, Rio the Tijuaca forest by 4X4, and the second day the Christ, sugar loaf and transfer to the airport, on that one the lunch was long because the service was slow.  The azamazing evening was wonderful except one thing, they did gave a glass of wine as we enter the venue, then walk like 20 steps and then you had to give ypur glass back before entering the room, so we had one sip of wine, that's it.  That was a lot of wine lost.