Ischia Island Tour

kar725

We are planning on going to Ischia during our Naples cruise stop. We are interested in going to Negombo and wanted some opinions on whether or not we should also do an island tour. There is a company that will do a 2 or 3 hour tour of the island and then Negombo. Also considering the 7:30 am hydrofoil vs the 8:40 to maximize time on the island.

Thanks!!

We have visited Ischia, but did not go over the Negombo.   On our visit we simply walked off our ship as soon as it was cleared, strolled over to the ferry terminal (Molo Beverello) where we caught the next hydrofoil to the island.  The boat was not very crowded and we saw no reason to buy tickets in advance.  Once on the island we explored using the local bus lines.  The island is actually a tourist destination for some Italians (and others) and has a few resorts plus other hotels.  What really caught our interest was when we passed by the island of Procida (on our way to Ischia) and this will likely be one of our destinations the next time we are down in the Naples area :).

Hank

We did a private tour by taxi on Ischia.   I would suggest that you book a tour ahead as it can be very pricey just picking up at the dock.  While we enjoyed seeing Ischia,   We have enjoyed our trips to Capri, Caserta and Naples more.  

We are working with a tour company on Ischia. I am not sure if my group is interested in just the thermal baths or the thermal baths and an island tour. I was just wondering what people think of the island and if it is worth 2-3 hours to see the island vs just going to the spa. 

Thanks!

Edited by kar725

I did not find Ischia too compelling. Best part of my day there was visiting the archaeological site of ancient Pithecusae, one of the oldest Greek settlements in Italy, and the archaeological museum nearby (with its famous "Nestor's Cup" which is thought to be one of the very oldest Greek inscriptions that has been found anywhere....) 

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

What really caught our interest was when we passed by the island of Procida (on our way to Ischia) and this will likely be one of our destinations the next time we are down in the Naples area :).

If you liked the film "Il Postino", many of the scenes were filmed on Procida in Marina di Corricella.  A few scenes from "The Talented Mr. Ripley" were shot there as well but the location isn't as prominent in that film as in "Il Postino".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

If you liked the film "Il Postino", many of the scenes were filmed on Procida in Marina di Corricella.  A few scenes from "The Talented Mr. Ripley" were shot there as well but the location isn't as prominent in that film as in "Il Postino".

Thanks for that tip.  We have never viewed "Il Postino, and now we have a good reason to pull that up on Netflix :).

Hank

Il Postino is a wonderful comedy/tragedy, a very Italian film that easy to love.   All of the town and bar scenes are in Marina di Corricella, the mountain and cottage where Neruda lives was shot on an island off Sicily, I can't remember which one.  It's fiction but rooted in the truth that Pablo Neruda was exiled from Chile in the late 40's/early 50's and spent time in Europe, but I don't know how much time he actually spent in Italy nor where.

The star (and co-director) of the film, Massimo Troisi, wanted desperately to make this movie even though he was in poor health and died the day after principal filming was done.  Many of the scenes that are shot over his shoulder are actually a stand in, filmed after his death.