Question about trip insurance and travelling with others

Dani24

We have a trip planned in a few months where we will be traveling with two other people (my MIL and BIL). Part of this trip includes a shared rental condo, and a shared rental car. If I take out insurance for me, DH and DD to cover the non-refundable trip costs, will that insurance cover the full cost of the condo/rental car (assuming we have a qualifying event). Or will it only cover the portion we actually paid (it's all going on my credit card, but MIL and BIL are expected to reimburse me for their share)?

I know individual policies may vary, but I'm mostly looking for what is typical with insurance reimbursement when you have trip costs that are shared with people not on the policy. 

1 hour ago, Dani24 said:

We have a trip planned in a few months where we will be traveling with two other people (my MIL and BIL). Part of this trip includes a shared rental condo, and a shared rental car. If I take out insurance for me, DH and DD to cover the non-refundable trip costs, will that insurance cover the full cost of the condo/rental car (assuming we have a qualifying event). Or will it only cover the portion we actually paid (it's all going on my credit card, but MIL and BIL are expected to reimburse me for their share)?

I know individual policies may vary, but I'm mostly looking for what is typical with insurance reimbursement when you have trip costs that are shared with people not on the policy. 

I would call a broker like www.TripInsuranceStore.com and get answers that are *specific* to YOUR situation.

Note that some insurance choices are more restricted if one waits too long after making the initial deposit (best to do it within 10-20 days, depending upon policy), but if you've already passed that timing, there are still some other good choices.

GC

Based on our own travel experience--- depending on where you will have the rental car, your own auto insurance might cover you in a foreign country.  The exclusions will be listed in your auto policy, or your agent can tell you.  Sometimes we buy the CDW from the car rental company, sometimes we don't need it.

My particular credit card also has some rental car coverage if I use that card for the rental.

Side Note though - Many policies don’t cover Loss of Use that is in the fine print of the rental agreement. You may have collision and all that covered, but the Rental Agency will still want to recover the loss of revenue that car would have generated while its being repaired. So just beware.