How to Get from the Venice Port to Central Venice with a Wheelchair

cruisead

We will be visiting Venice on our Riviera cruise and would like to know how to get to Central Venice, aka St Mark's Square, from the port.  My DH is a full time wheelchair user and cannot walk, so we're looking for accessible options.  I know those shuttles are not accessible so we need to find out if getting there is possible.

Thanks for all recommendations.

18 minutes ago, cruisead said:

We will be visiting Venice on our Riviera cruise and would like to know how to get to Central Venice, aka St Mark's Square, from the port.  My DH is a full time wheelchair user and cannot walk, so we're looking for accessible options.  I know those shuttles are not accessible so we need to find out if getting there is possible.

Thanks for all recommendations.

Here is a link to the Disable Travel section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

There should be some there who have suggestions for this.

I have some trouble walking long distances, but usually don't need a wheelchair.

However, when we had a private guide for two days in Venice, it turned out that in many of the "popular sites", there were elevators, behind unmarked doors.  Our guide would speak with a particular guard, who would then unlock the door (or just open it, sometimes!), and there was the elevator.

One thing that surprised us was that on the top floor of one of the largest buildings we were in, there was a moderate sized group of wheel chair tourists.  We knew how they "navigated the stairs" (elevator!), but obviously, they were getting around the city.

Perhaps Googling something like "Venice by wheelchair" would yield some results.

At least one of the two "water bus" types (I'm forgetting which) was wheelchair friendly... roll on, roll off.

You'll just need to make sure you aren't trying to get to some location that is only reached via those little bridges that are everywhere.  That could make some paths from A to B a bit longer, since you couldn't go the short way over a little bridge.

Good luck.  It should be manageable for a pleasant visit!

GC

The only time, I believe from observations, you may have trouble is when the tides are really low or really high, then there is difference of up to 8-10 inches between the Vaporetto and the landing for the pier, so you may need some assistance at that time.  The major stops are larger and more sophisticated so less problems.  It is the smaller stops on Vaporetto 1 that you may have more trouble.  In the major stops, there is always a person on the pier as well as the person on board who could then assist you.    

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

The only time, I believe from observations, you may have trouble is when the tides are really low or really high, then there is difference of up to 8-10 inches between the Vaporetto and the landing for the pier, so you may need some assistance at that time.  The major stops are larger and more sophisticated so less problems.  It is the smaller stops on Vaporetto 1 that you may have more trouble.  In the major stops, there is always a person on the pier as well as the person on board who could then assist you.    

+1, but I can say from personal experience in Venice with multiple family members who were using wheelchairs due to advanced age that  a private water tour is the way to go.

They start at about $200 per person but it is 1000% less stressful, both for the person in the chair and their companions.    

• Like 1

I know things run a bit different with a wheelchair, but I was wondering about a scooter?  My sister and I will have three days in Venice during our Riviera cruise and I was hoping to get to the Piazza San Marco at least once.  Any advice on that ?  

13 hours ago, kitty9 said:

I know things run a bit different with a wheelchair, but I was wondering about a scooter?  My sister and I will have three days in Venice during our Riviera cruise and I was hoping to get to the Piazza San Marco at least once.  Any advice on that ?  

Depends on where you are coming from, but ACTV Vaporetto Line 1 or 2 or N (night route) will certainly do it. 

The stop you want is, thankfully, 'S. Marco'. Any other line that also stops there will also work. 

Down a couple sidestreets and you are there. Note however that there is only one ramp down to the square proper...most  sides feature three easy-for walkers-but-not-possible-in-a-scooter steps.