WHICH IS BEST KETCHIKAN EXCURSION???

pondhome

Looking for a really good shore excursion in Ketchikan. The Saxton Native Village sounds interesting, but really thinking about one of the Misty Fjords excursions.

Several offered, all expensive, but which is the best?  The floatplane over the fjords? Catamaran Cruise and then floatplane? Floatplane with crab feast? Anyone with experience at the all-you-can-eat Dungeness crab feast at 9:30 in the morning? 

Any other comments, please feel free. 

My favorite excursion in my 15 cruises to Ketchikan will always be the Deadliest Catch Crab Fishing on the Aleutian Ballad because of the half hour stop to feed lots of eagles.

image.png.6e312373867215dd9a7efbf9a9fad2cb.png

I have taken the crab feast via floatplane.  Actual eating time is probably around 11:00 AM which means you need to skip breakfast and the pre-dining appetizers in order to maximize your crab intake in the alloted 50 minutes.

Here is a link to my crab feast photos taken over several visits to the George Inlet Lodge:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/ketchikan-2/ketchikan-crab-feasting

Enjoy your cruise planning.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

For a first visit to Ketchikan, I'd recommend the Misty Fjords floatplane trip.  Pricey to be sure, but worth every cent in my opinion.

The Deadliest Catch Tour on the Aleutian Ballard is a winner as well if one is interested in that type of an experience.  I agree with Crew News that the stop to feed the eagles was a fun one to watch and to try to capture some good photos.  I also really enjoyed seeing first hand how the harvesting of some of the seafood I enjoy is done and hearing about the experiences of the men who work these boats.  Such a tour provides a different perspective when one patronizes a seafood restaurant and dines on crab legs, etc.  

Over the 6 cruises we've done that included Ketchikan, we've done the Deadliest Catch one, the round-trip Misty Fjords by boat, a private photo tour on land, a bear watch, a round-trip Misty Fjords by floatplane, and attempted the boat-out-Misty-Fjords-floatplane-back (but the flying portion got cancelled due to weather and hence it was a "halfway out round trip on a boat". I'll also note that we've done two northbound Vancouver-Anchorage, two Seattle round-trip with Tracy Arm Fjord, and one Seattle round-trip with Glacier Bay, plus a four-day Sampler. Deadliest Catch was our favorite and I'd love to do that one again. Misty Fjords round-trip by boat was somewhat boring, especially on the voyage back. My wife did the Misty Fjords round-trip by floatplane and said it was pale in comparison to Tracy Arm Fjord, but I did the bear watch, had no bears, and can't really say much there.