Cell phone settings

Pattywac

I feel stupid asking but I’m not very tech savvy. My husband will only use his phone as a camera. Which settings will he need to shut off, or is putting it on airplane mode enough?  I added the Carnival social plan to my phone, this way if there’s an emergency back home I’ll have Facebook messenger. What settings will I turn off (data only?) since I don’t want any text or email that week. I don’t want to return all relaxed only to have a heart attack when my cell bill comes. 

You will get e mails with Wifi on, and, depending on your carrier and phone, maybe texts. But only when you are signed into the Carnival internet program. Those will be covered in the cost of the Carnival internet program. Shouldn't cost any extra.

On 3/14/2019 at 6:25 PM, Pattywac said:

Thanks ❤️  So both cells go on airplane, but mine I leave the WiFi on?

Both of you can download the Carnival HUB app (assuming he has a smartphone too). The HUB app works without purchasing one of the internet plans. It has things like deck plans, food venues and menus, Fun Times schedule, itinerary, S&S account info. etc. On the newest ships, they can do even more. For $5 each, the two of you can purchase the chat feature within the HUB app that lets you communicate with one another, but it's not required. Everything else on the app is free to use. Same process as others have already said, just turn on Airplane Mode and leave Wifi on.

With iPhones (and many others), if your carrier supports it, before you leave home, turn ON WiFi calling.  You need to be connected to your cellular carrier the first time you do this.

Once you have this setup, any time you have a wifi connection you can call and text.  And of course, use internet based services (Skype, FaceTime, Whattsapp, Messenger, Hangouts, Viber, etc).

The big 3 (T-Mobile, ATT, and Verizon) all support WiFi calling.

Also, if you are on T-mobile, you get free data and text and calling at 25 cents per minute in over 210 countries.