Cruising with an exchange student

Not sure if anyone had done this but I thought i would ask. I did call RCCL and the told me to call the Chinese embassy which i will do tomorrow. We are cruising with my daughter exchange student in June. We did this some years ago with our student from Korea and we needed a form at the pier. I just can't remember the form. I think it may be a J-1 visa but I am not sure. Thanks in advance for any info

They'll need a passport, which they already have, so that's easy. Check the visa requirements of the countries you'll be entering just in case. 

They're probably talking about the I-20 form, which your student should have with their passport. They should probably check with their certifying official at the school and make that their SEVIS status is current and updated before they leave the country and that their visa is VALID. A number of people on F and J visas have grace periods for various reasons at the end of their visas where they're okay to remain in the US after the visa has technically expired. The thing is, during those grace periods if they leave they cannot return and a closed-loop cruise counts as leaving. 

if she has a J-1 visa, she will have a DS-2019 form. It usually needs to be signed by the school's International Student Advisor prior to the trip. And, of course, the student has to have a multiple-entry visa and a valid passport.

Same goes for F-1 visa (form I-20).

SEVIS record needs to be in order.

The information above pertains only to their re-entrance to the US. The student/host parent should really check for the most current requirements with the student's International Student Advisor who is administering the program (F-1/J-1) and the sponsor (J-1). The J-1 program sponsor may have objections, you never know...

A number of people on F and J visas have grace periods for various reasons at the end of their visas where they're okay to remain in the US after the visa has technically expired.

grace periods are not for the visa, they are for the duration of status, which is indicated on their I-20 or DS-2019. Visa expiration has nothing to do with how long a student can STAY in the US while maintaining their status. They could have a 1 month single entry visa, but as long as they are maintaining their F-1 or J-1 status, they can stay in the US past the visa expiration date. Sometimes it's years.... Grace periods are applied to the program end date, and all F-1/J-1 students in good standing are entitled to them - it's time given to them to get their affairs in order before leaving the US after their program ends.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

if she has a J-1 visa, she will have a DS-2019 form. It usually needs to be signed by the school's International Student Advisor prior to the trip. And, of course, the student has to have a multiple-entry visa and a valid passport.

Same goes for F-1 visa (form I-20).

SEVIS record needs to be in order.

The information above pertains only to their re-entrance to the US. The student/host parent should really check for the most current requirements with the student's International Student Advisor who is administering the program (F-1/J-1) and the sponsor (J-1). The J-1 program sponsor may have objections, you never know...

grace periods are not for the visa, they are for the duration of status, which is indicated on their I-20 or DS-2019. Visa expiration has nothing to do with how long a student can STAY in the US while maintaining their status. They could have a 1 month single entry visa, but as long as they are maintaining their F-1 or J-1 status, they can stay in the US past the visa expiration date. Sometimes it's years.... Grace periods are applied to the program end date, and all F-1/J-1 students in good standing are entitled to them - it's time given to them to get their affairs in order before leaving the US after their program ends.

I was mainly thinking about Summer Work and Travel Js, where they do have a 30 day grace between the program end date and the time they absolutely have to be out of the US (or process an extension or change of status) which is what is supposed to comprise the 'travel' part. I worked with SWT extensively in my last job, and had a number of kids who took closed-loop cruises and were not allowed back into the US during their grace period.

But I think the point is that while you're admitted for duration of status for any specific admission, CBP does not have to allow you back into the US for a NEW admission, just based on duration of status. Your status for that admission ended when you left the US -- now you're knocking on the door again, and with an expired visa, that's less likely to go well for you. Sometimes there's some leeway if you're, say, an F with a new I-20 specifying continued attendence, but even then... CBP has much wider discretion since the policy changes last year and my experience has been that they're using it.