cornflake girl

Early sitting, table of 4 for 3 people

We're a family of 3 travelling and, rather than opting for Freedom Dining and waiting for a table for 3, we're considering going for the Early Sitting. The only table size options are even numbers so if we choose a table for 4 will it be likely that a singleton will be sitting with us or will we have the table to ourselves? No problem with other people, would just rather eat alone. Also, our son may go to the Kids Club so it would just be the 2 of us on the table for 4 a lot of the time. Do you anticipate this would be a problem? Thanks in advance!

Are there tables for 3?

I doubt you'd be able to sit at a table for four with just three people, but I could be wrong (we always use Freedom Dining - much more flexible all round).

We're just two, but we love the company of others.  Not everyone does, of course, but most of the time you'll have no problem at all.  Freedom Dining does allow you, though, to specify the table size, and a table for four is always a gamble.  The two other diners could be really lovely - but they could be a nightmare.  Six is our ideal size, or eight, but we're all different.

48 minutes ago, docco said:

Are there tables for 3?

I doubt you'd be able to sit at a table for four with just three people, but I could be wrong (we always use Freedom Dining - much more flexible all round).

We're just two, but we love the company of others.  Not everyone does, of course, but most of the time you'll have no problem at all.  Freedom Dining does allow you, though, to specify the table size, and a table for four is always a gamble.  The two other diners could be really lovely - but they could be a nightmare.  Six is our ideal size, or eight, but we're all different.

Thank you for your super quick response. I thought the same as you...

The dining staff had no problem seating just the 3 of us on a table for 4 when dining in Freedom but we did have to wait at times which, with a 4 year old, wasn't great. We may just have to wing it or get there super early!

1 hour ago, cornflake girl said:

Thank you for your super quick response. I thought the same as you...

The dining staff had no problem seating just the 3 of us on a table for 4 when dining in Freedom but we did have to wait at times which, with a 4 year old, wasn't great. We may just have to wing it or get there super early!

It's been a while since we did fixed time dining but I thought that your table is already allocated, so presumably you have asked for a table for 3 on booking. It will likely be a table with 4 seats but if they know that the third seat is to be occupied by a 4 year old then it would be highly unlikely that they would allocate the 4th seat at all.

I hope it all works out for you.

We’ve travelled as a three, all adults and we nearly always were seated on a table for 4 with just the three of us, we never had a fourth person added to the table. This was freedom, sometimes with a short wait. Occasionally we shared a table for 6 or more. I can’t see why you couldn’t be allocated a table for just the three of you in club dining.

3 hours ago, cornflake girl said:

We're a family of 3 travelling and, rather than opting for Freedom Dining and waiting for a table for 3, we're considering going for the Early Sitting. The only table size options are even numbers so if we choose a table for 4 will it be likely that a singleton will be sitting with us or will we have the table to ourselves? No problem with other people, would just rather eat alone. Also, our son may go to the Kids Club so it would just be the 2 of us on the table for 4 a lot of the time. Do you anticipate this would be a problem? Thanks in advance!

Just opt for a table for four request.  I am sure they are flexible enough to create a table for three or have a table for four with an empty space.

Regards John

3 hours ago, john watson said:

Just opt for a table for four request.  I am sure they are flexible enough to create a table for three or have a table for four with an empty space.

Regards John

I had the same issue this week when pre registering for November 2020 via the P&O direct booking line. I suggested that a table of 6 would be more reasonable than 4 because the 4th person may feel uncomfortable, especially if the 3 of us choose alternative dining in Sindhu etc, and was told they could request a table of 3 for us if we would prefer. Whether it will happen is anybody’s guess but we are ever hopeful.

We have seen many tables for 4 with only 3 eating and do not think they would put a single person on a table for four with a family 3 they would more than likely sit them on a table for 6 or 8 where there would be a mixture of couples and singles.

If you ask for a table for 4 for the three of you in club dining you'll be allocated a table for four for the whole cruise.

If you choose to subsequently send your child to kids club you'll still go to the same table and no one else will be allocated to your table. We've often been allocated a table for 4 with 2 teens and they have decided to do their own thing. The waiters ask after the kids but are happy to serve 2 on a four table as they have more time.

If you want to dine with others choose freedom dining and tell them you are willing to share. If you are willing to share a table with others you'll seldom have to wait for a table.

I have travelled with my mother and godmother and we went for the early sitting.  We we allocated a table for 4, but there were only the 3 of us for the duration of our cruise.

As mentioned above, I don't think they are likely to put a solo traveller on a small table - more likely to put on larger tables so there are more people for them to meet up with.

Michele

Always have 3 on table for 4, never had anyone join us. That is on club dining, you can also go to dining room when you board to check location and number of diners on your table.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply. It’s good to know that we should be ok. If we decide to go down this route, I’ll definitely ask once we’ve boarded to ensure we’ve got our request.