Early sitting, table of 4 for 3 people

cornflake girl

We're a family of 3 travelling and, rather than opting for Freedom Dining and waiting for a table for 3, we're considering going for the Early Sitting. The only table size options are even numbers so if we choose a table for 4 will it be likely that a singleton will be sitting with us or will we have the table to ourselves? No problem with other people, would just rather eat alone. Also, our son may go to the Kids Club so it would just be the 2 of us on the table for 4 a lot of the time. Do you anticipate this would be a problem? Thanks in advance!

Are there tables for 3?

I doubt you'd be able to sit at a table for four with just three people, but I could be wrong (we always use Freedom Dining - much more flexible all round).

We're just two, but we love the company of others.  Not everyone does, of course, but most of the time you'll have no problem at all.  Freedom Dining does allow you, though, to specify the table size, and a table for four is always a gamble.  The two other diners could be really lovely - but they could be a nightmare.  Six is our ideal size, or eight, but we're all different.

48 minutes ago, docco said:

Are there tables for 3?

I doubt you'd be able to sit at a table for four with just three people, but I could be wrong (we always use Freedom Dining - much more flexible all round).

We're just two, but we love the company of others.  Not everyone does, of course, but most of the time you'll have no problem at all.  Freedom Dining does allow you, though, to specify the table size, and a table for four is always a gamble.  The two other diners could be really lovely - but they could be a nightmare.  Six is our ideal size, or eight, but we're all different.

Thank you for your super quick response. I thought the same as you...

The dining staff had no problem seating just the 3 of us on a table for 4 when dining in Freedom but we did have to wait at times which, with a 4 year old, wasn't great. We may just have to wing it or get there super early!

1 hour ago, cornflake girl said:

Thank you for your super quick response. I thought the same as you...

The dining staff had no problem seating just the 3 of us on a table for 4 when dining in Freedom but we did have to wait at times which, with a 4 year old, wasn't great. We may just have to wing it or get there super early!

It's been a while since we did fixed time dining but I thought that your table is already allocated, so presumably you have asked for a table for 3 on booking. It will likely be a table with 4 seats but if they know that the third seat is to be occupied by a 4 year old then it would be highly unlikely that they would allocate the 4th seat at all.

I hope it all works out for you.

We’ve travelled as a three, all adults and we nearly always were seated on a table for 4 with just the three of us, we never had a fourth person added to the table. This was freedom, sometimes with a short wait. Occasionally we shared a table for 6 or more. I can’t see why you couldn’t be allocated a table for just the three of you in club dining.

3 hours ago, cornflake girl said:

We're a family of 3 travelling and, rather than opting for Freedom Dining and waiting for a table for 3, we're considering going for the Early Sitting. The only table size options are even numbers so if we choose a table for 4 will it be likely that a singleton will be sitting with us or will we have the table to ourselves? No problem with other people, would just rather eat alone. Also, our son may go to the Kids Club so it would just be the 2 of us on the table for 4 a lot of the time. Do you anticipate this would be a problem? Thanks in advance!

Just opt for a table for four request.  I am sure they are flexible enough to create a table for three or have a table for four with an empty space.

Regards John

3 hours ago, john watson said:

Just opt for a table for four request.  I am sure they are flexible enough to create a table for three or have a table for four with an empty space.

Regards John

I had the same issue this week when pre registering for November 2020 via the P&O direct booking line. I suggested that a table of 6 would be more reasonable than 4 because the 4th person may feel uncomfortable, especially if the 3 of us choose alternative dining in Sindhu etc, and was told they could request a table of 3 for us if we would prefer. Whether it will happen is anybody’s guess but we are ever hopeful.

We have seen many tables for 4 with only 3 eating and do not think they would put a single person on a table for four with a family 3 they would more than likely sit them on a table for 6 or 8 where there would be a mixture of couples and singles.

If you ask for a table for 4 for the three of you in club dining you'll be allocated a table for four for the whole cruise.

If you choose to subsequently send your child to kids club you'll still go to the same table and no one else will be allocated to your table. We've often been allocated a table for 4 with 2 teens and they have decided to do their own thing. The waiters ask after the kids but are happy to serve 2 on a four table as they have more time.

If you want to dine with others choose freedom dining and tell them you are willing to share. If you are willing to share a table with others you'll seldom have to wait for a table.

I have travelled with my mother and godmother and we went for the early sitting.  We we allocated a table for 4, but there were only the 3 of us for the duration of our cruise.

As mentioned above, I don't think they are likely to put a solo traveller on a small table - more likely to put on larger tables so there are more people for them to meet up with.

Michele

When our daughter was young we always booked first sitting on a table for 3 (this was before the days of Freedom). We were always allocated a table for 4 for the whole cruise, with the 4th seat unallocated; I don't think P and O would think it was reasonable to allocate a seat at a 4 top to a solo passenger with a couple and a young child. Even if daughter had Childrens' Tea and went back the club to watch the evening movie, we were left on the table by ourselves. I would say this is the best arrangement for a couple with a young child. The only drawback was that sometimes it was a rush to get her to Childrens' Tea, then back to the club, and get ready for dinner. We once did 2nd sitting, exactly the same arrangements, but at the age of 4 she couldn't dine at 8.30; she would have been asleep in the soup, so for her it was always Childrens' Tea, and often she fell asleep at the movie. The staff wrapped her in a blanket, we carried her upstairs after dinner and put her to bed in the cabin, and she'd wake the next morning and say "How did I get here? I can only remember the Lion King"!

On 3/15/2019 at 9:37 AM, cornflake girl said:

In your situation I would go freedom Dining. If you go Club, you can request a table for 4 but are not guaranteed one. You may end up on a larger one. If you go Freedom, regardless of party size you can always ask to dine alone. If there are just the two of you they will give you a table for 2. If your daughter joins you they will give you a table for 4 for just the 3 of you. They never fill the 4th place if you say that you want a table on your own. Freedom is the only way to 100% guarantee what you want every time and gives you complete flexibility on when you dine. You may have to take a pager and wait a while if you go at peak times and want to dine alone, but not always and it’s a small price to pay for ultimate flexibility 

2 hours ago, FangedRose said:

Solo travellers are always (in my experience) allocated to a large "solo travellers table". 

I have never been seated as a fourth on a table with a family of three. 

I was a solo traveller for my first ever cruise last year on Ventura. I was seated on a table for twelve, with five couples and one other solo traveller (who we didn’t see again after the first night 😂). I had a fantastic time and the couples couldn’t have been more welcoming and invited me to join them in their after dinner plans. I don’t think I would have been comfortable if I had been seated as a fourth on a table for four with a family of three, so I’m glad that didn’t happen.

4 hours ago, Les_ldh said:

. I don’t think I would have been comfortable if I had been seated as a fourth on a table for four with a family of three, so I’m glad that didn’t happen.

It would not bother me.  After the initial night of interesting and lively conversation I am certain the family of three would have alternative arrangements sorted out and I would have a table to myself for the rest of the cruise.  

I have in the past travelled with my daughter on a table for four where "the other couple" left after one night and travelled on a table for two just with my daughter. In each case my daughter went of to the children's club every night leaving me on my own.

Lol John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On previous cruises with my ex partner we always booked freedom dining as we preferred to dine together.

However, this year I had booked freedom dining for my wife and I but we preferred dining in the Waterside self serve buffet. The food was superb and the whole eating experience was more efficient - no time wasted waiting for the next course as we just served ourselves and chose where we sat and who with. We only dined 'Freedom' in the Cinnamon twice in 12 nights