2KentuckyCats

Using phone in italy

First, who is your carrier? Several have very reasonable plans, and one, T Mobile, it is essentially included in your plan for a small per minute fee.

Second, how long are you going to be there, and how much phoning are you in need of.

Lastly, are you in need of data as well?

I always get the cheapest plan possible and use WiFi where we stay.  Verizon is my carrier

1 hour ago, 2KentuckyCats said:

Our carrier is AT&T and we have an unlimited data plan.

Well that answers one of the questions...

We have AT&T. They have a couple of international plans...one that is $10 for 24 hours, costs nothing unless you use it. We have this, and have used it widely. If you only plan on limited phone use, this is probably the way to go. It fits our typically low out of the US phone needs.

They also have a $60 plan. I don't know all the details, sounds like you might want this if you are going to be phoning a lot, or using it for more than 6 days. 

All of this is on the AT&T website.

3 hours ago, 2KentuckyCats said:

You can also phone using whatsapp providing that both you and the person called has the app installed. It costs nothing provided that you are connected to wifi. You can phone anywhere in the world - our extended family & close friends have the app on their phones so that we can call for free (most hotels offer free wifi & so do restaurants, etc.).

My carrier is Verizon and, like AT&T, they offer the $10 plan. We subscribe to this plan when we travel (usually rely on whatsapp but the Verizon plan is nice to have for phoning someone that has no app and/or in case of an emergency).

On 3/16/2019 at 8:11 AM, 2KentuckyCats said:

You probably still want to contact them and see what your international coverage is. You may already have all you need. I know I do with my T-Mobile account. Calls from Europe at $.20/minute, but I have no extra costs for any data/text up to my plan limit. We make almost no calls when overseas, its all data/text and then I try and stay on wifi as much as possible to minimize data usage. If I have to make a few calls and spend some $$, oh well. 

Edited by drowelf

We would amend some of the prior posts and mention that T-Mobile now charges 25 cents/min for phone calls in Europe :).  Like a few of the other posters, we love T-Mobile and switched after learning about the benefits from a few Holland America entertainers.  We think it is the best US carrier, by far, for frequent international travelers.  

Hank