No more production shows?

RMLincoln

On 4/9/2019 at 6:37 PM, colonialinnkeeper said:

We just returned from a 21 day cruise on Koningsdam.  During that time the show Humanity was done 5 times and the Stages was done twice.  My DH and I have cruised for a number of years and have so enjoyed the cast shows with live band, singing and dancing.  We went to see this new show  (put on by One Step which I believe is the name of the company) called Humanity twice (the second time only because I had looked at the schedule and made a mistake on what was being done) and Stages once.  We strongly disliked Humanity and would have walked out of Stages were it not for the fact that we were sitting in the middle of a long row and didn't want to disturb fellow guests.  This is such a let down from what we have experienced on previous cruises.  It seems odd that HAL is trying to up their evening music and entertainment and instead have put on two shows that had canned music and no singing.  The dancing in places looked as if they were just going through the motions.  So very disappointing.  We hope that HAL will rethink this change.

I agree Step One is not as entertaining at the big shows with a story.  Or even the "Frankie Valli" show.  I understand there are very many tastes, but 45 minutes of just dancing to pre recorded music gets a bit boring to me.  The NS Billboard and Rolling Stones room and BB Kings were great and very well attended (usually standing room only) - but not production shows.  Those shown by earlier post of MSC shows  look very tempting. 

26 minutes ago, SAPMAN said:

I agree Step One is not as entertaining at the big shows with a story.  Or even the "Frankie Valli" show.  I understand there are very many tastes, but 45 minutes of just dancing to pre recorded music gets a bit boring to me.  The NS Billboard and Rolling Stones room and BB Kings were great and very well attended (usually standing room only) - but not production shows.  Those shown by earlier post of MSC shows  look very tempting. 

The MSC ships themselves are stunningly beautiful. These photos are of Divina. 

35EDB754-D948-4DD3-A566-B0692998A8D0.jpeg

FA7BC85A-8BD8-4CB8-8953-297785A99E82.jpeg

72673C15-786D-4302-97F9-06D2254A9612.jpeg

98082DBF-8A01-4FDD-9209-BC0904ABEB6E.jpeg

3FC8F359-36B6-411A-BE04-B5ED2A1A0714.jpeg

ADD38047-B1AE-4D34-B329-7B9C8F1F4128.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SAPMAN said:

You know all ships have their entertainment planned long in advance.  Why do they not publicize the scheduled entertainment for at least 60 days in advance, with the "subject to change" wording?    

As a menu collector, I know that for provisioning, menus are know well in advance too.

HAL probably prefers to not make last minute changes and disappoint passengers that are expecting a particular show/meal.

6 hours ago, SAPMAN said:

I understand there are very many tastes, but 45 minutes of just dancing to pre recorded music gets a bit boring to me.  The NS Billboard and Rolling Stones room and BB Kings were great and very well attended (usually standing room only) - but not production shows.  

Your opinion is the same as mine.  Regarding attendance at the various venues, my experience is the same as yours.

11 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

UPNYGuy,

Thanks for posting those photos of MSC Divina.  I am seriously considering a cruise on her or MSC Seaside for next Winter.  Just wish the MSC ships sailed from Port Everglades and not Miami.

Ahhhh we can all find reasons not to like the Port of Miami.  But here is a tip.  Just treat it exactly like you were cruising out of Port Everglades.  Fly into FLL, go to your usual hotel, eat in your usual restaurant.  The morning of your cruise just use Uber or Lyft to go from your hotel to POM.  The cost of private car ride will be no more than $40 (sometimes closer to $30).  And after your cruise just do the same in reverse.    As to the Divina, we did on first MSC cruise (21 days) on that ship back in December and loved it!  But, (and this is a big but) we were in the Yacht Club.  We enjoyed the cruise so much that we quickly booked two more MSC cruises (Divina and Seaside) sticking with their Yacht Club.  Outside the YC it is more of a Carnival/RCI kind of experience.

Hank

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Ahhhh we can all find reasons not to like the Port of Miami.  But here is a tip.  Just treat it exactly like you were cruising out of Port Everglades.  Fly into FLL, go to your usual hotel, eat in your usual restaurant.  The morning of your cruise just use Uber or Lyft to go from your hotel to POM.  The cost of private car ride will be no more than $40 (sometimes closer to $30).  And after your cruise just do the same in reverse.    As to the Divina, we did on first MSC cruise (21 days) on that ship back in December and loved it!  But, (and this is a big but) we were in the Yacht Club.  We enjoyed the cruise so much that we quickly booked two more MSC cruises (Divina and Seaside) sticking with their Yacht Club.  Outside the YC it is more of a Carnival/RCI kind of experience.

Hank

Thanks for your post!  Flying into Miami and sailing from there is not my concern.  I am considering driving this coming Winter and spending more time in Florida than just time for one cruise.  I detest (!) driving on I-95 in the Miami metropolitan area!  Reviews of some off-site parking companies are less than stellar.  I have yet to find a map of the Port of Miami's own parking facilities and the Port's driving patterns that have the clarity that I desire.  And, I can only imagine that sailing on a week-end day from Miami with all of the traffic that is generated into and out of the Port what that must be like.

If I book Divina or Seaside, it will be in Yacht Club based upon the research that I have done. 

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for your post!  Flying into Miami and sailing from there is not my concern.  I am considering driving this coming Winter and spending more time in Florida than just time for one cruise.  I detest (!) driving on I-95 in the Miami metropolitan area!  Reviews of some off-site parking companies are less than stellar.  I have yet to find a map of the Port of Miami's own parking facilities and the Port's driving patterns that have the clarity that I desire.  And, I can only imagine that sailing on a week-end day from Miami with all of the traffic that is generated into and out of the Port what that must be like.

If I book Divina or Seaside, it will be in Yacht Club based upon the research that I have done. 

We hear ya :).  Having lived in Plantation (in another life) I also detest I-95!  With a car it might make sense to do a park, sleep package out near MIA.  The Aloft hotel has those packages.  You can spend your pre-cruise night a bit out of the city and then grab an Uber to the Port...leaving your car at the Aloft (of one of the other hotels that does those park/sleep packages).   We have never parked at the Port of Miami as we often have a rental car which we dump before a cruise.

If you really have your heart set on parking at the POM here is a link to the relevant info:

https://www.cruzely.com/port-of-miami-cruise-parking/

Hank

On 3/15/2019 at 9:26 PM, RMLincoln said:

I picked up some bits and pieces that indicate HAL is phasing out productions shows. Has there been an announcement of this?  I understand some people's experience is that there were no productions shows with the ship's singers and dancers on their cruise, and I believe them.  But I'm wondering if this is an isolated glitch, maybe a contract issue?  Or is this beginning fleet wide? 

We had excellent shows on Koningsdam last November; the dancers were the best I've seen on a ship yet!  The World Stage backdrop of LED panels displayed a mesmerizing flow of images with these shows. I think we had 4 different shows during our 21 night B2B.  It was our first cruise on a Pinnacle class ship and I thought that HAL was finally coming into the modern ear.  Now I hear it's all going away? 

I'm much more concerned about this change than the new charge for second entrees in the MDR.... but if I am the only one concerned, then no wonder they may be phasing out this form of entertainment.    m--   

Just back from Eurodam no production shows on a 7 nighter.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:05 PM, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for reporting your experience.  It's disappointing news.

Here is my issue.  Those of us who read (and post) on CC are aware of the elimination of Production Shows from all HAL ships.  This decision had to be made some time ago as the line needed to terminate contracts.  But, unless we missed something, there was no press release, info sent to customers (we have a future HAL cruise booked), etc.  For whatever reason it appears that HAL made this very major change...without giving any notice to customers.   Folks that have booked HAL cruises did so with the expectation that they would get the usual mass market cruise experience which includes Production Shows on a routine basis.  The only exception would have been the EXP cruises on the Maasdam...but this situation was disclosed well in advance.  In fact, when we originally booked the Maasdam (while onboard the Oosterdam) the future cruise counselor specifically warned us that the Maasdam cruises would not have any Production Shows!  No such warning was given to those booking other vessels (unless we have missed something).

Yes, we understand that cruise lines reserve the right to change anything at any time for any reason....and the passengers be damned.  But eliminating Production Shows with no advance notice is a big deal for many cruisers.  HAL certainly has the right to do such a thing, but I do think that they should have reached out to their customers, in advance, to notify them of such changes.   The truth is that many cruise ship passengers could care less about Production Shows.....but others will tell you it is an important part of their cruise vacation.  

Hank

Hank,

I don't have any disagreement with anything that you have just posted.  HAL surely does have the option to change whatever our cruise experience will be.  We also have the option to voice, as guests, our opinion of such.  Some will vote with their feet and that is perfectly understandable.

I'm going to try to make a "hopeful" post related to this lack of proper use of the expensively built main showrooms on all of the modern HAL vessels.  My example follows.

Volendam, 2002, closing days of her Maiden Asia Pacific cruise:  After experiencing main showroom entertainment with an excellent Music Director and musicians and entertaining production shows with other live music entertainment as background during our cruise, the Music Director let it be known that his contract and the musicians contracts were ending at the end of our cruise upon arrival in Los Angeles.  The "wise whomever" in Seattle had decided to provide future main theater entertainment with prerecorded music.  Which was then done on other cruises that I experienced after 2002.  Then, the music format changed again.  And, then again, etc.  Whomever is in charge in Seattle of Entertainment (and it may be due to employee changes) is the source of these changes, in my opinion.

My opinion:  the millions spent on the "theater in the round concept" on the Pinnacle Class ships, as I witnessed it on Nieuw Statendam in January, was a very poor use of the money spent on that concept.  In my opinion when this "theater in the round concept" with its 270 degree video screen was announced, it was so promising.  I looked forward to experiencing it!  Experiencing the productions in The World Stage on NS were very disappointing!  My disappointment was compounded because I have witnessed the capabilities of the main theater's capabilities on the Signature Class ships when they were introduced into service.  Magnificent shows in those early years.  Return cruises, I found the theaters' capabilities to be very much underused.

My best hope is that whatever the current entertainment program thinking is in Seattle will change.  Just as it has in the past.

Bob

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Here is my issue.  Those of us who read (and post) on CC are aware of the elimination of Production Shows from all HAL ships.  This decision had to be made some time ago as the line needed to terminate contracts.  But, unless we missed something, there was no press release, info sent to customers (we have a future HAL cruise booked), etc.  For whatever reason it appears that HAL made this very major change...without giving any notice to customers.   Folks that have booked HAL cruises did so with the expectation that they would get the usual mass market cruise experience which includes Production Shows on a routine basis.  The only exception would have been the EXP cruises on the Maasdam...but this situation was disclosed well in advance.  In fact, when we originally booked the Maasdam (while onboard the Oosterdam) the future cruise counselor specifically warned us that the Maasdam cruises would not have any Production Shows!  No such warning was given to those booking other vessels (unless we have missed something).

Yes, we understand that cruise lines reserve the right to change anything at any time for any reason....and the passengers be damned.  But eliminating Production Shows with no advance notice is a big deal for many cruisers.  HAL certainly has the right to do such a thing, but I do think that they should have reached out to their customers, in advance, to notify them of such changes.   The truth is that many cruise ship passengers could care less about Production Shows.....but others will tell you it is an important part of their cruise vacation.  

Hank

Amen. 

On 4/9/2019 at 5:08 PM, nextcruiseonmymind said:

And they say there are no more production shows on Holland America.

Maybe someone could chime in about current shows on the Oosterdam.

Just off Oosterdam last week. The layout is exactly the same as mentioned here except replace the two dancing shows with two different Post Modern Jukebox shows.

Just returned from Oosterdam Caribbean cruise - even the music in the Lido was terrible who wants to hear Beyonce screaming at the top of her lungs during dinner - where the heck did the Caribbean music and even the steel drums go?  Just awful - would rather have the Hell Cats back....😂

• 4 months later...

I have to say quite honestly that RCCL has the BEST entertainment at sea!  I was on Harmony and saw a fabulous production of Grease in July.  I just returned from Allure and saw one of the best versions of Mamma Mia ever.

I am also going on Allure again in a week.  I am an avid theater fan.

So that being said, I thought I would try a smaller cruise ship/ line and chose HAL for my 70 birthday cruise on Nieuw Statendam

I am disappointed  hearing about the entertainment and lack of production shows, but I picked this knowing my sister in law loves music of all kinds and I booked this for her FIRST cruise.  Thank goodness we have four ports on a seven day cruise!

I am wondering if they also did away with the Planet Earth film and the Lincoln Center Stage musicians playing the soundtrack live which was most spectacular in the Koningsdam theater.  Have heard no mention of it for some time so I am thinking it is a thing of the past as well.

On 4/13/2019 at 10:20 AM, UPNYGuy said:

The MSC ships themselves are stunningly beautiful. These photos are of Divina. 

35EDB754-D948-4DD3-A566-B0692998A8D0.jpeg

FA7BC85A-8BD8-4CB8-8953-297785A99E82.jpeg

72673C15-786D-4302-97F9-06D2254A9612.jpeg

98082DBF-8A01-4FDD-9209-BC0904ABEB6E.jpeg

3FC8F359-36B6-411A-BE04-B5ED2A1A0714.jpeg

ADD38047-B1AE-4D34-B329-7B9C8F1F4128.jpeg

We sailed on the Divina 4 times, one of our favorite ships. Great shows except no orchestra to accompany the great singers. 

Edited by MISTER 67

2 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

We sailed on the Divina 4 times, one of our favorite ships. Great shows except no orchestra to accompany the great singers. 

We have since sailed Divina again, as well as Preziosa, Magnifica, Meraviglia, and Seaside twice, and have Poesia, Armonia, and Seaside (for a third go) booked. MSC has been getting most of our bookings recently. 

3 hours ago, luvn2cruzzz said:

I am wondering if they also did away with the Planet Earth film and the Lincoln Center Stage musicians playing the soundtrack live which was most spectacular in the Koningsdam theater.  Have heard no mention of it for some time so I am thinking it is a thing of the past as well.

I don't know about the larger ships, but we just returned from a long cruise on the Veendam.  They still had the production shows, the Ocean Trio or Quartet, Piano Bar entertainer, and Adagio. Only some of the production shows had The Band (which was now four musicians) playing.  The others used recorded music.  One night each segment, they also showed Planet Earth II, with the live musicians.  

I think the changes in entertainment are coming more slowly to the R and S class ships, since they do not have as enough room for new venues.  In fact, during the 67 days we were on the Veendam, a new cast joined the ship after the first 24 days.  During the cast chat and backstage tour, they said they would be on the ship until April.

7 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I don't know about the larger ships, but we just returned from a long cruise on the Veendam.  They still had the production shows, the Ocean Trio or Quartet, Piano Bar entertainer, and Adagio. Only some of the production shows had The Band (which was now four musicians) playing.  The others used recorded music.  One night each segment, they also showed Planet Earth II, with the live musicians.  

I think the changes in entertainment are coming more slowly to the R and S class ships, since they do not have as enough room for new venues.  In fact, during the 67 days we were on the Veendam, a new cast joined the ship after the first 24 days.  During the cast chat and backstage tour, they said they would be on the ship until April.

Nice to hear.  I hope you are correct, as we board the Amsterdam late October for 51 days.  I do not like hearing about all these cutbacks.

Edited by FlorenceItaly

On 4/13/2019 at 1:26 PM, rkacruiser said:

UPNYGuy, Thanks for posting those photos of MSC Divina.  I am seriously considering a cruise on her or MSC Seaside for next Winter.  Just wish the MSC ships sailed from Port Everglades and not Miami.

I just returned from a week-long sailing on MSC Magnifica the last week of August 2019. I loved the ship. It felt like a ship, just as HAL ships do. Set dining times with the same wait staff in the MDR. Lots of musical entertainment throughout the ship in various lounges. Fun vibe by the pool without being crazy. Lot's more kids than HAL, though. I loved the cruise so much I booked MSC Preziosa for next year. Such an excellent value! Their "booze" package includes a fair selection of beer, wine, cocktails, bottled water (.5 and 1 liter), canned soda and espresso drinks in unlimited quantities for about the same cost as HAL's "Quench" package.

On 4/13/2019 at 3:01 PM, ScottC4746 said:

Just back from Eurodam no production shows on a 7 nighter.

Magnifica featured a new production show in the main theater every single night of the cruise. I'm fairly certain this is an MSC standard.

On 4/14/2019 at 3:56 PM, Hlitner said:

Here is my issue.  Those of us who read (and post) on CC are aware of the elimination of Production Shows from all HAL ships.  This decision had to be made some time ago as the line needed to terminate contracts.  But, unless we missed something, there was no press release, info sent to customers (we have a future HAL cruise booked), etc.  For whatever reason it appears that HAL made this very major change...without giving any notice to customers.   Folks that have booked HAL cruises did so with the expectation that they would get the usual mass market cruise experience which includes Production Shows on a routine basis.

Hank

I agree. The fact that shows were removed and no good substitute is being offered seems like a decrease in value. HAL apparently agrees in that they seem to have not made any effort to make anyone aware of the change. The only suggestion of a deliberate change is the now-common emphasis on "the BEST LIVE MUSIC AT SEA." It may seem like a small change in Seattle, but it's big enough to me to redirect my attention to MSC for the foreseeable future.