No more production shows?

RMLincoln

On 3/16/2019 at 4:40 AM, ew101 said:

As to what 22-35 year old guests like on cruises- I have no idea.  

I'm a bit younger than that age range, and I can't really speak for everyone in my age cohort (young adults), but for me, I like seeing Broadway shows (like Mamma Mia on RCCL) the most. Magicians and people doing variety show material are fun but it's tough for me to enjoy shows that use references that are way before my time, like comedians referring to older actors or singing shows that only do music from the 60s-80s. That music is fun, but besides a few classic songs I recognize I really don't know any of them. I'd prefer to hear more modern songs that I can sing along to. Tribute shows really don't appeal to me unless it is an older performer who I know well (like ABBA) or if it's a more modern group... but I'm not sure everyone would be interested in a 90s boyband celebration show or a tribute to the pop music of the 2000s 😂

My parents might like it but tribute shows are just not for me. 

I've not seen Post Modern Jukebox but it seems to me that the main problem with that show is the talent of the performers rather than the material themselves.

I'm not really interested in seeing a single singer or a small dance troupe myself because it seems like something I can just watch on YouTube or travel to my local performing space to see. If it is this kind of entertainment, I would rather they be a professional troupe. My favourite people to watch are magicians and dancers but of course taste will vary among different people.

WHAT will differentiate between, say, Carnival and Holland-America and Cunard if this, sadly, is the trend?? Book the Queen's Suite and bring your own Piano Player? I think mathematicians call this 'The Lowest Common Denominator'. H-mm.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:48 PM, 1964IceCreamLady said:

This is a very interesting thread that is making me think about what I like in terms of entertainment.  Maybe I am about to open a can of whoop-ass on myself.  

Just some off-the-cuff thoughts:

I would much prefer a troupe of professionals than some half crew/half entertainers.  I would prefer that trained professionals get paid for their talent and art.  I would prefer to support the arts this way.  Much like I would prefer if the ship sold LOCAL artists (from the ports of call) on the ship than recycled prints of "established" artists of no value.

I am not a fan of dancing.  But, again, I would prefer a ballet that supports a job for artists. I would enjoy that.  

For a 2 show night: Why not a one act ballet?  Why not a one act play?  Something traditional?  I would love to see the final act of Romeo and Juliet!  Is this a reach?  What about a 3 hour production instead of 2 shows?  Hey!  They could UPSELL this (sorry, folks).  But I (personally) would love this.  Just once a cruise.  Again: just spit-balling here.

On our (limited number) of cruises, we disliked  the production shows, but enjoyed the magicians and comedians.  I liked the movies in the Wajang theater (Zaandam) but not poolside (Koningsdam).  

A 3 hour show on HAL!  Surely you jest.  They would have to start that show by 4pm to accommodate all those who head off to their cabins (for bed) early in the evening.  But seriously, innovation does exist on some cruise lines.  We recall doing a crossing on the Queen Mary 2 when their onboard Shakespeare company (staffed with real professional actors) did shortened Shakespeare plays on sea day afternoons.  When we were on a Celebrity cruise, a Guest Entertainer concert pianist did a couple of afternoon piano recitals (well attended) in addition to his more main stream evening shows.  On our recent MSC cruise they had main production shows (sans scenery) every evening carefully designed to work for those who spoke many different languages.   Besides singing and dancing these shows used very talented acrobatic performers who added a Cirque de Soleil vibe to each show.  One could leave the late show (about 10:45) and find various bands, singers, etc.  in multiple venues around the ship.   On the larger ships of some lines you can find real Broadway-style shows (often truncated for time), ice shows, cirque de soleil shows, late night adult comedy shows, etc.

Meanwhile back on HAL, you might hear a tired small pick-up band (kind of in the tradition of the HAL Cats) playing "In the Mood,"  "show tunes from "My Fair Lady," and other "contemporary" forms of entertainment  you used to hear in roller skating rinks:(.  The BB King concept was a great step forward for HAL, but alas, it is only on about half their ships.  We are starting to think that HAL is proud to be thought of (by some) as a floating Assisted Living Center or Nursing Home and does not want to do anything to "rock the boat."  On HAL they still think that "Queen" is a lady named Elizabeth and not a great Rock Group.  Pink Floyd, Eagles,  the Stones, Santana?  Generally strangers on HAL where Glenn Miller, and Guy Lombardo are still welcomed by many passengers (most of whom are in bed by 10pm).  

My goodness.  I am in my 70s (which makes me one of the younger passengers on some of our HAL cruises) but would still prefer to have one foot on the dance floor then in the morgue (although some in the Morgue certainly can dance better than moi).   Perhaps ending Production Shows is just one stop towards providing more innovative and better entertainment.  But somehow I doubt it.

Hank

Hank - try KONINGSDAM or NS with Rolling Stone and a lively Billboard.

Join in the sea of white haired old rockers having a fabulous time SRO for the 11:30pm show.

Yes, HAL has taken the entertainment in a new direction and it was extremely well received from what I observed a couple weeks ago by a mixed 45-75 age demographic.

19 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

In the early 1980s, tourist class service on QE2 was not always great. Except on Sundeck, which became our favorite place on board. Was the deck steward Dennis or Roger? They always took good care of passengers.

I don't know the Deck Steward's name.  But, my best experience took place on Sundeck.  On a windy morning, I was the only guest present.  The Deck Steward set-up a deck chair, got a blanket, and "tucked me in".  I requested a Bloody Mary a few minutes later when he checked on me.  When he returned, he carried the drink on a tray.  A gust of wind caught the tray and turned it vertical, spilling the entire glass on the front of his uniform.  He apologized for what happened!  He said, "I'll get another one."  A few minutes later he returned wearing a clean uniform with my Bloody Mary.  As a Tourist Class guest, I received "First Class" service!

On 3/16/2019 at 8:46 AM, CruiseRQA said:

Was on the Oosterdam two weeks ago:

No production show

No chilled soups

No smoked fish

$10 charge for an extra lobster tail

No library

No Explorations Cafe

No Explorations Cafe? No hot chocolate or tasty snacks anymore? What did they replace that large space with?

23 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Our last Celebrity cruise was a few months ago, and the production shows were just awful.  The singers were talented, and a smaller revue of Broadway show tunes they did was excellent, but the production shows themselves were silly and boring.

On the other hand, we are in our mid 60s and were on the Celebrity Reflection for 21 days in Jan and thought all of the production shows as well as the guest entertainers were quite enjoyable and the theater during the early 7 pm show was nearly packed every night. 

I do enjoy the production shows.  However, the slow rate at which they change mean that I am often looking at production shows that I have seen 3 or 4 times on previous cruises.

Would rather see smaller productions that are changed more often.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I don't know the Deck Steward's name.  But, my best experience took place on Sundeck.  On a windy morning, I was the only guest present.  The Deck Steward set-up a deck chair, got a blanket, and "tucked me in".  I requested a Bloody Mary a few minutes later when he checked on me.  When he returned, he carried the drink on a tray.  A gust of wind caught the tray and turned it vertical, spilling the entire glass on the front of his uniform.  He apologized for what happened!  He said, "I'll get another one."  A few minutes later he returned wearing a clean uniform with my Bloody Mary.  As a Tourist Class guest, I received "First Class" service!

I remember being tucked in like that on chilly days. Sundeck was originally a first-class area, and that level of service continued even when tourist class passengers were allowed up there. First thing we always did after boarding QE2 was go up there and reserve deck chairs in our favorite spot. 

On 3/16/2019 at 9:46 AM, CruiseRQA said:

Was on the Oosterdam two weeks ago:

No production show

No chilled soups

No smoked fish

$10 charge for an extra lobster tail

No library

No Explorations Cafe

Wait. WHAT? No Explorations Cafe???? When did this happen? Why? Is there someplace else now on Oosterdam to get coffee? Is this true for any other ship? Why Oosterdam? Wow, so many questions... I'm truly shocked by this!

7 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I remember being tucked in like that on chilly days. Sundeck was originally a first-class area, and that level of service continued even when tourist class passengers were allowed up there. First thing we always did after boarding QE2 was go up there and reserve deck chairs in our favorite spot. 

I don't recall needing to reserve a deck chair location on QE2 (certainly do on my early Rotterdam V cruises, however).  I am fairly sure that I "just showed up" that morning.  But, that's gentleman's service obviously is something that I appreciate to this day after 39 years.

My husband and love the production shows. I will be very unhappy if HAL will no longer have them for evening entertainment. Jugglers and magicians can be very boring. We always  

enjoyed listening to “The Band” too. Thought they were very underused. Fine musicians. Very disappointing if this is their new direction. We are 4 star mariners with 350 sailing days and always enjoyed cruising with HAL.

I really enjoyed the Billboard production show I saw on N. Amsterdam last year. Can't remember the name, but it ended with a Whitney Houston "duet." But I also tend to dislike the odd, acid-trip type of production shows. That's a bit harsh, but it's the best description I could think of. Dance shows do nothing for me. I hate to see an entire week's worth of shows being dominated by this genre. 

35 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Wait. WHAT? No Explorations Cafe???? When did this happen? Why? Is there someplace else now on Oosterdam to get coffee? Is this true for any other ship? Why Oosterdam? Wow, so many questions... I'm truly shocked by this!

Explorations café is now where the Crows Nest bar used to be. It is a combination with the bar. 

1 hour ago, stickey_mouse said:

Dance shows do nothing for me. I hate to see an entire week's worth of shows being dominated by this genre. 

If that's going to be the main showroom entertainment, I won't be attending.  

My friend is on the Eurodam right now and reported that the entertainment was the best they have ever seen on HAL (and they have been on the Koningsdam).

they are really impressed, so if HAL brings on the right entertainers, don't despair, it could be good.

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

My friend is on the Eurodam right now and reported that the entertainment was the best they have ever seen on HAL (and they have been on the Koningsdam).

they are really impressed, so if HAL brings on the right entertainers, don't despair, it could be good.

When your friend reported that the entertainment was the best ever seen on HAL, were they referring to the evening shows in the main theater or entertainment around the ship like the Lincoln Stage?

7 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

When your friend reported that the entertainment was the best ever seen on HAL, were they referring to the evening shows in the main theater or entertainment around the ship like the Lincoln Stage?

Evening shows.  Lincoln stage was good too 🙂 

On 3/16/2019 at 1:40 AM, Despegue said:

Isn’t that old info from 2017?

as far as I know, all singers have been eliminated, and the changes are ship-by-ship.

Currently on Koningsdam with three production shows scheduled for a 10-day cruise :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Here are some videos with a short clip of most every entertainer from the 2018 and 2016 world cruises. Here was the breakdown by type in 2018

Pop Singers and groups - 11

Comedians – 8

Instrumental Performances – 18

Solo Singer – 10

Acrobat – 1

Tango Dancer – 1

Cast Shows – 9

Magic acts and mentalists – 6

Local Culture - 6

https://youtu.be/ElvRdqJUD7c