Laundry

GrandyMandy

Hi,

Yes, free washing, drying and ironing.

Don't take your own powder. Due to the processing requirements for the waste water you have to use the powder provided. Also free.

You don't say which ship. On QV and QE the laundries are directly above each other but on QM2 they are scattered about the ship so the nearest one may be on the deck above or below you.

Regards, Colin.

Ha! All replying at the same time.

Edited by Colin_Cameron
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Hi,

Yes, free washing, drying and ironing.

Don't take your own powder. Due to the processing requirements for the waste water you have to use the powder provided. Also free.

You don't say which ship. On QV and QE the laundries are directly above each other but on QM2 they are scattered about the ship so the nearest one may be on the deck above or below you.

Regards, Colin.

Ha! All replying at the same time.

Queen Elizabeth.

The machines have high utilization. You may need to go and wait until a machine is available. Take reading material and a considerate attitude. I think many of the legendary laundry battles are spurred by people freeing up machines by putting wet laundry in a basket. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

If you're in Britannia, and on late dining, you can generally get your laundry in and done during the early sitting, especially on gala nights.

There's nothing quite like doing your laundry in a ball gown!

I love that!!🤣🤣 perhaps I will try it sometime in my ball gown!😉

Those of you who have been on this board for a long time may remember the wise and witty posts of the inestimable Cruachan, now sadly deceased. On the subject of the QE2's laundry, he said something to the effect that though he had served in the British army for many years, in a regiment noted for its robust approach, never had he encountered a level of savagery comparable to that found the the QE2's laundry.

You have been warned.😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:28 AM, exlondoner said:

Those of you who have been on this board for a long time may remember the wise and witty posts of the inestimable Cruachan, now sadly deceased. On the subject of the QE2's laundry, he said something to the effect that though he had served in the British army for many years, in a regiment noted for its robust approach, never had he encountered a level of savagery comparable to that found the the QE2's laundry.

You have been warned.😀  This is funny.  I don't think I've ever done my laundry in a public place without sitting there reading a book.  Who needs conflict?

50 minutes ago, smarks said:

Can you have your laundry done by Cunard for a fee?

Thanks

Yes. I have a laundry price list somewhere if that would help. Dress shirts are reasonable, underwear is expensive, hence the occasional desire to run laundry.

Edit: try this, from another Cruise Critic thread. 

0a86ce5b2006e06025b5444d2edafec8.jpg

Edited by Underwatr

Wow, those prices aren't bad at all. They are close to what I pay at my neighborhood cleaners here in NYC. I think I will just bring a lot of undies and get some of the larger pieces done when needed. I wouldn't want to get involved in the battles of the laundry room! Thanks for the info.

On 3/18/2019 at 10:45 AM, Stella1250 said:

Wow, those prices aren't bad at all. They are close to what I pay at my neighborhood cleaners here in NYC. I think I will just bring a lot of undies and get some of the larger pieces done when needed. I wouldn't want to get involved in the battles of the laundry room! Thanks for the info.

Stella, that has been my thought for years. Far less than a hotel laundry charge in the US or the UK. And the do it all for you, no muss, no fuss. I don't let them do my black over the calf dress socks as they use very hot water and the socks get saggy after they have been washed. So, I have a large quantity of sock packed in my shipped baggage. 

And with a free drinks package, it is some place to use your OBC. And as you climb the member loyalty tiers, you get generous discounts. 

Edited by Bigmike911

I've been travelling forever.  I cannot imagine not hand-washing half my clothes, especially sox and lingerie.  It seems so simple to me; anything else has got to be a huge inconvenience. 

Does anyone know what kind of detergent they have on board? I understand that they want you to use the detergent they provide (for water treatment reasons), but the friend I'm travelling with has quite severe allergies to many detergents, and would prefer to bring her own, unless she knows that what is provided will be safe for her to use. 

It's Cunard soap. I am afraid you will have to ask them what is in it for your friend and she can see if it meets her needs. You can also wash clothes in water alone, and unless you have seriously soiled clothes they will come out fine. I presume the soap is similar to that in which they wash the bed linens and towels, If your friend is severely allergic to soap you should inquire before you travel. 

On 3/17/2019 at 5:51 PM, Underwatr said:

Yes. I have a laundry price list somewhere if that would help. Dress shirts are reasonable, underwear is expensive, hence the occasional desire to run laundry.

Edit: try this, from another Cruise Critic thread. 

0a86ce5b2006e06025b5444d2edafec8.jpg

Thank You.  I will try for the washer and dryer but if not, guess I will bite the bullet and have mine done.  Thanks again.

58 minutes ago, smarks said:

Thank You.  I will try for the washer and dryer but if not, guess I will bite the bullet and have mine done.  Thanks again.

We apply our on board credit to do the laundry and it works out fine.

DW uses the laundry just to touch up pressing early in the day on Formal Nights.

I really liked the set up on HAL. We were in a Neptune suite, and all of the laundry was included! Now that was great. On this cruise, I will send all of the formal wear out to be pressed on the first day, bring plenty of undies and send the rest out to be washed as needed. I take a vacation from laundry on vacation LOL

1 hour ago, hbgroadends said:

Some ships offer a set amount for a bag of laundry. Does Cunard offer this on the QM2? If so, how much is it?

Cunard occasionally offers a special of $40 for a bag of laundry (up to 20 items). It seems to be hit or miss though as to whether that special is offered on any particular voyage, and if it is, it probably will only be offered one day of a typical one-week voyage such as a crossing.

Edited by bluemarble

On 3/25/2019 at 12:11 PM, bluemarble said:

Cunard occasionally offers a special of $40 for a bag of laundry (up to 20 items). It seems to be hit or miss though as to whether that special is offered on any particular voyage, and if it is, it probably will only be offered one day of a typical one-week voyage such as a crossing.

Thanks, Bluemarble!