Celebrity Silhouette Vs Oceania Riviera

Seapoint

We recently did Caribbean cruises on the Riviera and Silhouette. This was our fifth cruise on Oceania, and we are Elite Plus on Celebrity. Both cruises were excellent, but there are some interesting differences when you compare the experiences.

THE SHIPS

They are about the same age. Riviera entered service in 2012, and Silhouette in 2011. Silhouette is twice the size of Riviera (122,400 tons/2886 passengers vs 66,084 tons/1250 passengers). Yet they feel a full generation apart. Silhouette seems far more modern, and conceptually more advanced, then Riviera. Riviera is comfortable and homey. Silhouette is simply stunning. The biggest miss in the design of Riviera is the absence of a lively central hub. The Lobby on Silhouette rises several decks, and is surrounded by bars, lounges and restaurants. It is lively. Other modern ships, eg Viking, have a living central hub. Riviera does not. There is no promenade deck on Riviera.

ACCOMODATION

As we had a suite on Riviera, and verandah cabin on Silhouette, it is not fair to compare. As others have noted, storage space is somewhat limited in the S-Class cabins.The suite on Riviera was very well designed. Bedding, towels etc were far superior.

FOOD

Oceania claims "The Finest Cuisine At Sea". Celebrity also takes pride in its cuisine. This was my experience:

Breakfast - Oceanview Cafe (Silhouette) was far, far superior to Terrace Cafe.(Riviera). Far more choice on Silhouette. For example, Silhouette had a large choice of Eggs Benedict each day (Salmon, Ham, Veg etc), Riviera only ham. Silhouette also innovated each day, eg a donut bar on one day.

Lunch- Very poor on Oceania. Very limited choices. Silhouette had a very big choice. Also, island layout on Silhouette was far better. Also innovated at lunch, eg a gravlax bar one day. Food quality was equal on Silhouette and Riviera.

Dinner - MDR choice and quality was equal. Both menus are somewhat limited.

Speciality Restaurants - Far superior on Riviera. Jacques, Polo Grill and Toscana all outstanding food and service. On Silhouette, we had a very good steak at Lawn Club Grill, but Tuscan Grill was no better then MDR, and Murano was not as good as it used to be.

Service hours - something always open and available on Silhouette, for example if you got back to the ship mid afternoon. This was a problem on Riviera. Mid afternoon, only option was a hamburger or room service. Tea at 4pm was not as good as it used to be.

Coffee - Lattes at Baristas on Riviera were far better than the ones at Cafe Al Bacio on Silhouette.

ENTERTAINMENT

Some years ago, we had a terrible cruise on Reflection, where the music from the Miami DJs was so loud that you could not sit at the pool or walk through the lobby. We actually stayed away from Celebrity for a few years after that experience. Well, I am very pleased to say that the music on Silhouette at the pool, in the lobby, at the shows was lively but at a reasonable volume. The shows on Riviera tended to be more old-fashioned Broadway , whereas shows on Silhouette were more modern and innovative.

SERVICE

Excellent on both ships

PAX

On Silhouette, majority were born in the 1950's and 1940's. Perhaps just slightly older on Riviera.

CHAIR HOGS

Alive and well on Silhouette. On sea days, by 7am, ALL the loungers in the shade on the non-smoking side of the pool were covered in towels!! There was never a problem getting a shady lounger on Riviera.

NET

Both were excellent vacations. Each has some pros and cons. I would happily sail on either ship again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the comparison, my main takeaway would be that the size of the ships, specifically surrounding around buffets and entertainment will make the difference or so I believe...

bon voyage

Yes, thanks for the details.  We agree with your observations.  On O since we don't book higher category cabins, we have limited guaranteed visits to the specialty restaurants, you can work the system for more sometimes which is a pain.  So the only reason we would book O is for the smaller ship AND a special itinerary.  You save anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour every time you enter or leave the ship with much less stress.

3 hours ago, mafig said:

Didn't I read "somewhere" a while back that there was filet mignon and lobster offered for lunch at the buffet on Oceania?

Yes, available daily at Waves Grill.  AND you can have it your way - surf and turf, all surf or all turf!  Now salivating wishing I was back on either Marina or Riviera!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Yes, available daily at Waves Grill.  AND you can have it your way - surf and turf, all surf or all turf!  Now salivating wishing I was back on either Marina or Riviera!

OK, I was confused when I read the OP's rating of lunch as "very poor."  :classic_huh:

9 hours ago, Seapoint said:

NET

Both were excellent vacations. Each has some pros and cons. I would happily sail on either ship again.

Thanks very much for your comparison. We’ve been considering Oceania recently, but only for unique itineraries. Otherwise, we have wondered if the benefits justify the additional cost. 

I like both Silhouette and Riviera.  Both Celebrity and Oceania do a good cruise.

However, Oceania is much better than Celebrity in many ways. It costs more and it is worth it. 

Riviera standard veranda cabins are huge.  Cabins that size are suites on Celebrity. The included amenities in the cabins are far superior on Oceania.  Linens, toiletries, etc. are top notch. Bvlgari soap products on Oceania are in all cabins. Celebrity only has them in suites.

Oceania has fabulous food in all venues.  The Terrace buffet on Oceania is cleaner with excellent service. Guests do not serve themselves.  There are servers wearing gloves that put your food selections on plates.  Drinks are ordered and brought to your table.  In the buffet, you can ask a server to bring you something. It is brought to you promptly.  On Celebrity, it is a struggle to get a table in the Windows Buffet.  Food choices are good.  However, there are often lines waiting.  Specialty restaurants on Riviera are excellent and are included in the basic cruise fare. Menus are changing constantly to include local options. Celebrity serves the same food regardless of location.

Oceania has a tea service everyday at 4 that is amazing.

Celebrity's Cafe Al Bacio is better than Oceania's coffee bar.  Celebrity is open until late at night. Oceania's closes at 6 pm.

On both lines, you can always get food.  Room service works 24/7  Always free on Oceania, late night upcharge on Celebrity.

I travel on both lines.  It depends on itinerary, dates, companions, and price.  Now that Celebrity has increased prices, Oceania is the clear winner. 

21 hours ago, mafig said:

OK, I was confused when I read the OP's rating of lunch as "very poor."  :classic_huh:

Understandable, mafig.  OP must have very finicky tastes, as the array at the buffet is great!  I've sailed seven times on O and never have I been dissatisfied with any of the dining venues.

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I like both Silhouette and Riviera.  Both Celebrity and Oceania do a good cruise.

However, Oceania is much better than Celebrity in many ways. It costs more and it is worth it. 

Riviera standard veranda cabins are huge.  Cabins that size are suites on Celebrity. The included amenities in the cabins are far superior on Oceania.  Linens, toiletries, etc. are top notch. Bvlgari soap products on Oceania are in all cabins. Celebrity only has them in suites.

Oceania has fabulous food in all venues.  The Terrace buffet on Oceania is cleaner with excellent service. Guests do not serve themselves.  There are servers wearing gloves that put your food selections on plates.  Drinks are ordered and brought to your table.  In the buffet, you can ask a server to bring you something. It is brought to you promptly.  On Celebrity, it is a struggle to get a table in the Windows Buffet.  Food choices are good.  However, there are often lines waiting.  Specialty restaurants on Riviera are excellent and are included in the basic cruise fare. Menus are changing constantly to include local options. Celebrity serves the same food regardless of location.

Oceania has a tea service everyday at 4 that is amazing.

Celebrity's Cafe Al Bacio is better than Oceania's coffee bar.  Celebrity is open until late at night. Oceania's closes at 6 pm.

On both lines, you can always get food.  Room service works 24/7  Always free on Oceania, late night upcharge on Celebrity.

I travel on both lines.  It depends on itinerary, dates, companions, and price.  Now that Celebrity has increased prices, Oceania is the clear winner. 

I agree on each and every count - you ticked them all!

We also sailed on both. In my opinion, Riviera is in a different league. Food is much superior, especially on dinner and specialty restaurants. Superior service. No lines at all. Never. Not in the buffet, not in guests services, not when going in and out of the ship. No issues ever to find a table at the buffet or at the pool.

The only area we found Celebrity to be better is evening entertainment.

it is more expensive, but when you consider all the inclusions, the difference in price is not that big.

To me, one big difference was that Riviera has only one pool outside and Silhouette has 2 pools, an outside and a covered  pool.  That may not mean much to most, but I am very sensitive to the sun and greatly appreciate the covered pool on the Silhouette.  I did not find the food on the Riviera to be substantially better than on the Silhouette, however my wife disagreed with me on that point.  The Oceania buffet was less crowded that the Silhouette buffet but there were much more selections on the Silhouette.  For me, the price difference between the Riviera and the Silhouette greatly favors the Silhouette, for the few differences.