Cruise Critic Community
BrendaJ

Extremely long-winded Edge Review - Inside cabin and S3 Sky Suite

I am boarding on sunday and eventhough I am not in a suite,  your review and overall take on the ship got me even more excited. It is nice to hear something positive for once. The only unknown in terns of experience for me and that can't be  change is the IV but I am sure we will be fine!

5 minutes ago, Sandy1975 said:

I am boarding on sunday and eventhough I am not in a suite,  your review and overall take on the ship got me even more excited. It is nice to hear something positive for once. The only unknown in terns of experience for me and that can't be  change is the IV but I am sure we will be fine!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise, Sandy! The cabins are really nice in so many ways and you will likely enjoy at least some of the IV features. We were so busy enjoying the rest of the ship on our first Edge cruise that we did not spend much time in the cabin anyway.

I can't wait for your review! Please toast the rest of us Edgies when onboard! 🙂

39 minutes ago, Sandy1975 said:

Hope you have a great cruise..We did fine with the IV,!

Brenda- thanks for reviewing your Edge experience.  We were able to find shade in the Retreat area when we wanted to sit in the shade in the entryway to the pool area.  Nice cushioned sofas. Or we would go down one deck and sit in the outdoor part of the Retreat Lounge. 

4 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Hope you have a wonderful cruise, Sandy! The cabins are really nice in so many ways and you will likely enjoy at least some of the IV features. We were so busy enjoying the rest of the ship on our first Edge cruise that we did not spend much time in the cabin anyway.

I can't wait for your review! Please toast the rest of us Edgies when onboard! 🙂

I will definitely do a review when I return! Especially on things that were hard for me to research. I will have a drink or 10 for all edgies but I will stay away from the Steakhouse Margarita you had on Roof Top Grill (remember the one with A1 sauce?!)

3 hours ago, hcat said:

Hope you have a great cruise..We did fine with the IV,!

Thanks, your take on the IV is the one that gave me hope because I read how you felt based on reviews but it seemed to turn around when you experience it first hand!

2 hours ago, Sandy1975 said:

I will have a drink or 10 for all edgies but I will stay away from the Steakhouse Margarita you had on Roof Top Grill (remember the one with A1 sauce?!) 

LOL! I grimaced when you mentioned that horrible drink! Maike (the waiter) was still laughing about that when I saw him again in January.

You are so lucky to be boarding her on Sunday! Cheers!! 🥂

Brenda...all I can say is “great schtick”. Are you sure your husband isn’t Martin Short? We are on a SS aft in Dec. with big balcony. Hoping to have lounge chairs by then and a table to eat breakfast. 

You and VT are tied for the best Eden reviewers. Great job to both. 

On 3/17/2019 at 5:55 PM, keithm said:

Hmmm. Slightly funny, but still could have used some detail. You're right about plenty of reviews stating the details. I just find the ship very pricy for what you get. If you're in a suite, then you really do get what you pay for(as it should be for that price)

Call me crazy, but I thought this site was called Cruise Critic, and not Review Critic.  Here we have someone who was kind enough to take the time to provide a review, yet someone feels the need to critique that review?  And worse yet critique someone's humor.  If you don't like it, just go to the next thread.  I think it's precisely this type of behavior that keeps many from providing their own reviews/comments.  I for one appreciate anything I can get; pouring over various reviews helps me in my planning tremendously.  And if I find something that doesn't help me, I simply move on.  SMH

3 hours ago, cricketgirl said:

Call me crazy, but I thought this site was called Cruise Critic, and not Review Critic.  Here we have someone who was kind enough to take the time to provide a review, yet someone feels the need to critique that review?  And worse yet critique someone's humor.  If you don't like it, just go to the next thread.  I think it's precisely this type of behavior that keeps many from providing their own reviews/comments.  I for one appreciate anything I can get; pouring over various reviews helps me in my planning tremendously.  And if I find something that doesn't help me, I simply move on.  SMH

Certainly took your time responding to my remarks.

Thanks for the review! We are booked on the European cruise leaving Rome this summer, so I am grateful for this great review. Thanks again

Continuing to enjoy your review.   Keep up the great work.

Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2019 at 2:18 PM, cricketgirl said:

Call me crazy, but I thought this site was called Cruise Critic, and not Review Critic.  Here we have someone who was kind enough to take the time to provide a review, yet someone feels the need to critique that review?  And worse yet critique someone's humor.  If you don't like it, just go to the next thread.  I think it's precisely this type of behavior that keeps many from providing their own reviews/comments.   SMH

You are absolutely right. I quit writing reviews a long time ago and now I keep my opinions to myself because this type of trolling/flaming is senseless and ridiculous. Looking forward to sailing on this ship in 3 weeks!

Edited by Fighterone

Posted (edited)
On 3/17/2019 at 8:16 PM, BrendaJ said:

Thank you, everyone, for all of your kind comments.

Keith, I’m afraid I don’t have any details about the food because I didn’t take any notes while on the ship, and just can’t remember specific meals or dishes.   If you are a foodies, then I really do recommend Luminae.   However, as we all know, food is very subjective, and what one person loves the next may hate.

I do have to say that in Luminae, we ate many meals with a couple who cruise mainly on Seabourn, Regent and other luxury lines, and they said, of all their many cruises, they thought Luminae’s food was consistently the best.   They absolutely loved it.  This was their first cruise on Celebrity in many years, and they were delighted with the Edge.

BrendaJ, thank you for a wonderful review.

Wondering if you tried "Le Petit Chef" and if so, was it worth the experience? We booked it but now wondering (after reading some bad reviews about the food) if we should just concentrate on eating at Luminae which I am excited about.

Not even sure I want to keep the reservation for the steakhouse, we just might cancel that one too! 

What would you do?

BTW, I just found a great new feature on these CC boards. We now have the ability to "ignore a user" something I shall immediately use for this Keithm. 

Edited by Fighterone

I, too, loved Brenda's review and her thoughts were much like mine.  I loved the Edge; the small problems were certainly not enough to impact my cruise.  It is interesting that people see the same things differently.  A lot of people have commented on the shortage of shade at the pool, and I thought there was more shade than I have found on other Celebrity ships 😎  I stumbled onto an area near the entrance to the Rooftop Garden that had tons of chairs completely shaded and almost always close to empty.  i did not use the area at the Retreat pool because of the lack of shade.

You may already know this, but in viewing pictures of Sky Suites keep in mind that there are several different configurations of the cabins.  I was in an S1 on the port side, and my cabin was quite different than the one posted in the review.  Furnishings were the same, but bed location was totally different.  The bed was on the wall with the bathroom behind and faced the veranda.  There was a window above the bed so you could see the ocean from the bathroom.  The biggest downside was that the veranda was very small; much smaller than the one pictured in the S3 cabin.  

On 3/28/2019 at 7:09 PM, Fighterone said:

BrendaJ, thank you for a wonderful review.

Wondering if you tried "Le Petit Chef" and if so, was it worth the experience? We booked it but now wondering (after reading some bad reviews about the food) if we should just concentrate on eating at Luminae which I am excited about.

Hi Fighterone

I really, really love Luminae and would never turn town an opportunity to eat there.   That being said, I every much enjoyed Le Petit Chef.   I liked the food they served, and the animations were just so much fun to watch - it was much cooler than I anticipated.   As for the steakhouse, we didn’t try it, but generally, for the price, we can get the perfect steak at the steakhouse near where we live for less money than what speciality dining on the ship costs, and I figured I’d rather have a nice meal at home sometime, rather than miss an evening at Luminae.   Then again, I’m not the biggest steak fan, so I can’t really say.   I have heard good things about the steak house on Edge, and the next time we aren’t sailing in a suite, I’m sure my hubby will convince me we have to try it (that guy loves red meat more than just about anything - if I even suggest a vegetarian meal, little tears come out of the corner of his eyes). 

9 minutes ago, BrendaJ said:

Hi Fighterone

I really, really love Luminae and would never turn town an opportunity to eat there.   That being said, I every much enjoyed Le Petit Chef.   I liked the food they served, and the animations were just so much fun to watch - it was much cooler than I anticipated.   As for the steakhouse, we didn’t try it, but generally, for the price, we can get the perfect steak at the steakhouse near where we live for less money than what speciality dining on the ship costs, and I figured I’d rather have a nice meal at home sometime, rather than miss an evening at Luminae.   Then again, I’m not the biggest steak fan, so I can’t really say.   I have heard good things about the steak house on Edge, and the next time we aren’t sailing in a suite, I’m sure my hubby will convince me we have to try it (that guy loves red meat more than just about anything - if I even suggest a vegetarian meal, little tears come out of the corner of his eyes). 

Oh Thank You!

You make me feel better about having reserved at Le Petit Chef. There have been so many negative reviews about the food there. 

As far as the steakhouse is concerned, I love good red meat so will report back. Thanks again for your wonderful, informative and humours review.

On 3/28/2019 at 7:38 PM, Doctor G said:

A lot of people have commented on the shortage of shade at the pool, and I thought there was more shade than I have found on other Celebrity ships 😎  I stumbled onto an area near the entrance to the Rooftop Garden that had tons of chairs completely shaded and almost always close to empty. 

On 3/28/2019 at 7:38 PM, Doctor G said:

Darn it, Doctor G!    That was my secret shady spot!   Now everyone will know!!!! 🤓