Sand Fleas!!!

Please help. I am sailing on the Sovereign in 3 weeks. YEA! I have been reading about the Stingray adventure in Nassau and was almost ready to book it. I then discovered, on past boards, that the island is infected with sand fleas. Anyone had this problem recently? Does insect repellant protect against sand fleas? Thanks Ginny

I heard the stingrays were fenced in but from what I read the island was beautiful. I discovered the post about the sand fleas from a cruise critic in Dec. It is due to all the hurricane activity last year & also happpened a few years ago. guess I will just have to shop. HA

Sand fleas are fish bait. They live in the sand, about the size of a peanut M&M. We catch them for bait here in Florida to fish for Pompano. They are harmless. Bait shops even sell sand flea bait screens to catch your owm bait. They burrow under the sand near the surf. They are perfectly harmless. No need to worry.

Gretchen

Archived