Norway Car Rental - Trolstigen Drive ex Alesund or Geiranger

Am planning on hiring a car on the " Trolls Road" in Norway this June.

Our cruise stops in Alesund, but I gather the drive is shorter from Geiranger where we also stop.

If I drive from Geiranger, am I likely to see Eagle Road and Mount Dalsnibba.

Hoping to hear from some  one who has done this drive or who has suggestions.

Many Thanks

If driving from Geiranger you can do the Eagle Road on your way to Troll Road (Trollstigen) and a detour to Dalsnibba. Driving from Geiranger to The Troll Road will require ferries - driving from Ålesund might be more convinient 1hour 45 minutes - do not know the exact time from Geiranger - the shortest route is closed now due to snow - but I guess it time wise will be the same due to the ferries. Might be easier to rent a car in Ålesund but also possible In Geiranger.

I would rent a car In Ålesund for the Troll Road and then do the Eagles Road and Dalsnibba by the HoHo bus.

Hope someone who has done the tour from Geiranger will respond.

We hired a car from Avis in Alesund. We did the circle tour anti clockwise to Trollstigen and enjoyed it. On the way back we stopped at the Mt. Aksla viewpoint in Alesund.

Since there is no ferry needed you donot need to check the time as often. We stopped a lot and took many photos.

In Geiranger we booked the small bus tour with 3 viewpoints. https://www.geirangerfjord.no/panorama-exclusive-bus

Thanks for getting back, its really appreciated.

The drive from Alesund is 2 hours each way (119kms each way)

The drive from Geiranger is 1 hour 38 each way (67kms each way)

Given the time frame (and exorbitant cost of Petrol) and leaning towards hiring in Geiranger.

(which I gather is a tender port so another thing to consider)

Will probably hire a car in Honningsvag and head to the North Capre - open to ideas ?

Thanks Heaps

2 hours ago, downundermatt said:

Given the time frame (and exorbitant cost of Petrol) and leaning towards hiring in Geiranger.

Will probably hire a car in Honningsvag and head to the North Capre - open to ideas ?

Thanks Heaps

In Honningsvag you might want to consider the Blue Puffin Tour. It gets amazing reviews. We have booked it for our July Norway cruise. https://www.blue-puffin.com/en/

8 hours ago, downundermatt said:

Thanks Heaps

Geiranger is indeed a tenderport. However there is a kind of folgin out pier that can be used by 1 ship.

Did you check the availability of a rentalcar in Geiranger? It is a very small village with not that many facilities. I remember I once checked it and couldnot find a rentalcar.

23 hours ago, downundermatt said:

Don’t forget to add the cost of the ferry at Eidsdal - NOK 220 for two people - NOK 70 for additional person (return) - and also need to take waiting time for ferry into consideration- departure every 30 minutes.

Geiranger is a tender port but some ships are using the SeaWalk pier.

For Honningsvåg a tour might be a better option  than renting a car for a relatively short distance if only North Cape -  renting a car you need to add parking and entrance fee.

Off cause with a rental car you can also visit Gjesvær and maybe have time for a boat trip to Gjesværstappan - a nice bird reserve.