Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
F19810

Jewel-need help deciding if I should book now!!!

Recommended Posts

I'm looking at a cruise for next year,  the price for the inside where RCL picks the room is $1600 (for solo pricing).  The price where you pick the room is $3000.  This is for a 10 day Europe cruise.  Does the Jewel have studio cabins and that is why it it is so much cheaper?  If so, does anybody know how they compare to NCL's Epic studio cabins?  I've been on several cruises but never booked one year in advance.  Should I jump on this price because the studio cabins will go fast?  

Thanks,Judy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the link.  Since I spend very little time inside the cabin, the studio may work.  The reviews of the ship have me a little worried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, F19810 said:

Thanks for the link.  Since I spend very little time inside the cabin, the studio may work.  The reviews of the ship have me a little worried.

We had a nice 10 day cruise on the Jewel in February.  We found the ship to be in good condition with good service.  The ship does not hold as many passengers but we find this very much to our advantage when we arrive in ports and they are not so crowded.  The size of the Jewel allows her to go to more places. I would book early as price is sure to go up.   Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by springfire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, springfire said:

We had a nice 10 day cruise on the Jewel in February.  We found the ship to be in good condition with good service.  The ship does not hold as many passengers but we find this very much to our advantage when we arrive in ports and they are not so crowded.  The size of the Jewel allows her to go to more places. I would book early as price is sure to go up.   Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks, my thinking is that the studio cabins would sell out and then I will have to pay 3000.  I think that I may book it tonight, figuring that if I can't get the time off (which I won't know until December), I can always cancel it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, F19810 said:

Thanks, my thinking is that the studio cabins would sell out and then I will have to pay 3000.  I think that I may book it tonight, figuring that if I can't get the time off (which I won't know until December), I can always cancel it.

All guarantee cabins (Royal picks the room) are non refundable deposit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

All guarantee cabins (Royal picks the room) are non refundable deposit.

Can the deposit be moved to another ship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, F19810 said:

Can the deposit be moved to another ship?

You lose $100 per person and the balance is issued on a FCC that can be moved and must be used within a year.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I pick a studio cabin?  On the website, it didn't let me pick that category.

Judy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

All guarantee cabins (Royal picks the room) are non refundable deposit.

 

Ken, do you recall if this rule changed when Royal first implemented NRD, or did it come later?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Host Clarea said:

 

Ken, do you recall if this rule changed when Royal first implemented NRD, or did it come later?

It came with the introduction of the NRD as I recall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, F19810 said:

Can I pick a studio cabin?  On the website, it didn't let me pick that category.

Judy

 

It's possbile the studio staterooms are sold out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, F19810 said:

Can I pick a studio cabin?  On the website, it didn't let me pick that category.

Judy

Only if they are available.  Chances are that you would be assigned a regular room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It came with the introduction of the NRD as I recall.

That's what I remember as well.  Welcome back!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to follow up, I booked this cruise tonight in the studio cabin.  There are only three studios and I was afraid that they would sell out.  Only 411 days to go!  The only reason the I can see to cancel the trip is if my niece decides to have her wedding then.  For my niece, I will forfeit the $100 if I have to change the cruise.

Judy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, F19810 said:

Just to follow up, I booked this cruise tonight in the studio cabin.  There are only three studios and I was afraid that they would sell out.  Only 411 days to go!  The only reason the I can see to cancel the trip is if my niece decides to have her wedding then.  For my niece, I will forfeit the $100 if I have to change the cruise.

Judy

FYI: you don’t get double c+a points as a solo traveller in a studio. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, little britain said:

FYI: you don’t get double c+a points as a solo traveller in a studio. 

I understand that.  It is more important to me to get a cheaper fare.  I’m not paying for two people in the room so I shouldn’t get double c+a credits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, F19810 said:

I understand that.  It is more important to me to get a cheaper fare.  I’m not paying for two people in the room so I shouldn’t get double c+a credits.

On one of my cruises the Studio is more than £1000 more than the cost of a cabin for 2!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, little britain said:

On one of my cruises the Studio is more than £1000 more than the cost of a cabin for 2!!!!

I’ve seen that happen on NCL.  The Jewel only had 3 studio cabins so I think that they should sell out.  Some of the newer ships have more studios so they might not sell out as quickly.  If there are a lot of inside cabins available, they my lower that price to the point that the studios are more expensive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...