Is this feasible?

Inaffit319

My fiance and I will be spending one day in Bermuda (8 am - 4 pm) on our honeymoon cruise May.  Even after doing tons of research, we're having a hard time figuring out how to spend the day.  

Our current plan is to take a taxi to Crystal Caves and then take a taxi to Horseshoe Bay and then take another taxi back to the ship.  We don't need a ton of time at Horseshoe Bay, an hour or two is plenty...we just don't want to leave Bermuda without stepping in pink sand 🙂

Does this sound feasible for the amount of time we have?

I know we can save money by taking the ferry and bus, but we've never been there, and want to make it as easy as possible, even though it will cost more.

Is it pretty easy to find a taxi at/near the cruise port?

Ferry to st g and bus to caves is super easy. Ferry is a nice ride and view via water. Plus st g is a lovely quaint town worth at least an hour. Any local in st g can tell you where to get the bus to the caves.  Everyone we met was very nice and helpful. There’s basically one street into and out of st g. 

after the  caves, You can then decide to taxi to horseshoe or bus but you have to switch in Hamilton. But it’s still easy. Just get off one and onto another.  Bus drivers are helpful and friendly. Tell driver where you want to get off. 

Edited by elaine5

How much travel time is it to go to Horseshoe? Have the same idea planned for our trip but wondering if we'd be wasting a lot of time traveling to there (and then more traveling back to cruise port) or if I should try to talk my friends into staying around St. George at Tobacco Bay so we have more time to explore and just take ferry back. Which might be better do you think?

Allow up to 2 hours for bus from St G to Kings Wharf port, factoring in waiting for a bus and changing in Hamilton. Horseshoe is much closer to port, so I would ferry to StG then bus to Horseshoe and continue via bus or taxi to ship and not backtrack to St G. If you have a full day, you can definitely do above. Tobacco Bay is much smaller and cove-like. Lovely, but not the quintessential Bermuda beach you're likely thinking of. If snorkeling, then TB is a very good choice. See below TB then HB.

image.jpeg.e315d0e6fd34786351554e1cd1e7f7ee.jpeg

image.jpeg.9ff2d55cc6eb496721513f9f67ff4069.jpeg

13 hours ago, Ellusionz said:

How much travel time is it to go to Horseshoe? Have the same idea planned for our trip but wondering if we'd be wasting a lot of time traveling to there (and then more traveling back to cruise port) or if I should try to talk my friends into staying around St. George at Tobacco Bay so we have more time to explore and just take ferry back. Which might be better do you think?

After reading what you wrote  after you asked about how much travel time to go to Horseshoe and elaine5's reply I am not sure we are clear where you want to go from where.  Between the Dockyard to Horseshoe the travel time is about 30 minutes if you take a $7 minibus shuttle or a taxi. A public bus could take abuout 45 minutes as they make stops in between. Plus the buses only run every 30 minutes with the new schedule so there couldl be a wait for the next bus. Anyone with time constraints would best  not take the public bus in my opinion.  Are you there for one day and docking at the Dockyard or docking at St. George's? 

Edited by Charles4515

my reply was from Kings Wharf port to St G by ferry, then bus to Horseshoe Bay then bus/taxi to Kings Wharf. So a RT via water, then land. It's a lovely bus ride in which you get to see most of the island form one end to the other. 

my reply was from Kings Wharf port to St G by ferry, then bus to Horseshoe Bay then bus/taxi to Kings Wharf. So a RT via water, then land. It's a lovely bus ride in which you get to see most of the island form one end to the other. 

That is an option for those who have plenty of time.

We are there the day prior in the evening and leave 4pm the next day (We will be docking at Dockyard). So was thinking we could leave early via the ferry to St. Georges to visit the Crystal Caves and eat lunch at Swizzle Inn. Original idea was after to take a bus to Horseshoe Bay for  a lil bit then head back to ship with the bus. But if that might take too long (we leave at 4pm) would there be more to see around St. Georges and the beach of Tobacco Bay nice enough to skip Horseshoe? We've never been to Bermuda so want to get the most of the experience.

7 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

After reading what you wrote  after you asked about how much travel time to go to Horseshoe and elaine5's reply I am not sure we are clear where you want to go from where.  Between the Dockyard to Horseshoe the travel time is about 30 minutes if you take a $7 minibus shuttle or a taxi. A public bus could take abuout 45 minutes as they make stops in between. Plus the buses only run every 30 minutes with the new schedule so there couldl be a wait for the next bus. Anyone with time constraints would best  not take the public bus in my opinion.  Are you there for one day and docking at the Dockyard or docking at St. George's? 

We are there the day prior in the evening and leave 4pm the next day (We will be docking at Dockyard). So was thinking we could leave early via the ferry to St. Georges to visit the Crystal Caves and eat lunch at Swizzle Inn. Original idea was after to take a bus to Horseshoe Bay for  a lil bit then head back to ship with the bus. But if that might take too long (we leave at 4pm) would there be more to see around St. Georges and the beach of Tobacco Bay nice enough to skip Horseshoe? We've never been to Bermuda so want to get the most of the experience.

When is your cruise, is the second day a weekday (M-F) and what cruise line?

21 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

When is your cruise, is the second day a weekday (M-F) and what cruise line?

Carnival arrive Monday Sept 23rd at 4pm (hanging around the Dockyard) leaves Tuesday Sept 24th at 4pm (day of exploring the island).

Carnival arrive Monday Sept 23rd at 4pm (hanging around the Dockyard) leaves Tuesday Sept 24th at 4pm (day of exploring the island).

If you took the bus to Horseshoe after the caves that would involve two buses as you would have to change buses. Also remember buses make stops. I would advise a taxi from the caves if you decide to go to Horseshoe after the caves. And a $7 minibus shuttle from Horseshoe back to the ship, not a public bus. I don’t go along with the allure of riding the buses when you have one day. Riding the buses around is something to do when you have three days and don’t have to get back to the ship by 4 PM. As for the St. George’s alternative, St. George’s is a World Heritage Site, the town itself is worth seeing. Tobacco Bay is good for snorkeling. It is not a pink sand beach but it is not bad. I usually spend an hour or two there. Horseshoe Bay I could stay all day. Whichever you decide to do after to caves, Horseshoe or St. George’s will be good.
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

If you took the bus to Horseshoe after the caves that would involve two buses as you would have to change buses. Also remember buses make stops. I would advise a taxi from the caves if you decide to go to Horseshoe after the caves. And a $7 minibus shuttle from Horseshoe back to the ship, not a public bus. I don’t go along with the allure of riding the buses when you have one day. Riding the buses around is something to do when you have three days and don’t have to get back to the ship by 4 PM. As for the St. George’s alternative, St. George’s is a World Heritage Site, the town itself is worth seeing. Tobacco Bay is good for snorkeling. It is not a pink sand beach but it is not bad. I usually spend an hour or two there. Horseshoe Bay I could stay all day. Whichever you decide to do after to caves, Horseshoe or St. George’s will be good.

Thanks for the information 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

If you are wanting to see pink sand and not spend a lot of time lounging on the beach I’d recommend taxi drop you off at Warwick Long Bay and walk to Horseshoe. About a mile walk. It was beautiful and not many people.  Most of the walk is along the beach but then you walk up a hill and go through greenery, don’t worry well worn trail.  There were so many photo stops with big rock formations out on the beach.

we planned on taking taxi back to ship but the $7 shuttle was getting ready to leave so we just hopped that for the savings.  

Edited by nicoleinwi
  • Like 1