Best way to get to New York City from Brooklyn Port

We have a cruise booked and one of our ports is New York City but we will be docked at the port in Brooklyn and we want to go into the city.  Any suggestions would be very helpful.  We have never been there before so we have no idea, some of the things we really want to see is, the 911 Memorial, Time Square and the Statue of Liberty(we will apparently cruise by the Statue of Liberty).

Thank you and have a Blessed day.

8 hours ago, thinfool said:

Approx 200 feet from the ship exit gangway is the ferry boarding area...a very short 20 minute ride will land you at the Wall St. ferry station....faster and for far less $$ than a taxi or car service.

https://www.ferry.nyc/

Ditto for the ferry.  About $3/pp.  You can walk to the 911 Memorial and to Battery Park to see the Statue of Liberty, which you will NOT “cruise by” closely.  From Battery Park or the 911 Memorial areas the #1, R, or W trains will take you to Times Square.  Coming back the #2 or 3 trains will take you to the Wall St Station, which is the closest station to the ferry.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

So if I take taxi or uber from cruise port to madison square garden;  how long of ride is this?

In terms of miles, it's about 7 miles from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Madison square Garden. In time, it would be about 30-35 minutes in average traffic but that is very variable and it could take much longer.

19 minutes ago, Andee said:

FYI, Brooklyn is part of NYC.

Having been born in Manhattan, but having lived most of my decades of residence in the city's outer boroughs, whenever we traveled from home into Manhattan we always said we were "going into the city". My wife, who was born and raised in the Bronx, says she used the same terminology. In the old days many subway stations in the outer boroughs had signs that said "To City" to direct you to the proper platform for trains to Manhattan.

So, from this family of NY City natives (who now live in NJ) the OP is 100% correct when saying they want to go into the city from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal...FYI .

5 hours ago, Andee said:

FYI, Brooklyn is part of NYC.

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Having been born in Manhattan, but having lived most of my decades of residence in the city's outer boroughs, whenever we traveled from home into Manhattan we always said we were "going into the city". My wife, who was born and raised in the Bronx, says she used the same terminology. In the old days many subway stations in the outer boroughs had signs that said "To City" to direct you to the proper platform for trains to Manhattan.

So, from this family of NY City natives (who now live in NJ) the OP is 100% correct when saying they want to go into the city from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal...FYI .

You are both right.  :classic_smile: In my experience, it’s definitely an outer-borough thing to say “I’m going into the city” when going to Manhattan (my whole family spoke that way), so the language usage of the original post is okay (“we want to go into the city”). However, the thread title is not correct (“best way to get to New York City from Brooklyn Port”), and I had the same reaction to it that Andee had, that the OP did not understand that Brooklyn is part of NYC. I don’t know anyone in an outer borough who has ever said “I’m going to New York City” when they were going to Manhattan. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dream1 said:

We in the Bronx still refer to Manhattan as "The City". In most cases when you hear someone say Manhattan they are from out of state or country.

Those same people are also known to ask for mayonnaise on a pastrami sandwich...😁

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

so those who grew up in NYC;  who makes the best pizza?  I plan on having a pizza war when I visit.  Thanks.

Many would say the best pizza is not served in the city, but rather at Di Fara Pizza on Ave. J in Brooklyn.

I also recommend Joe and Pat's, another place not in the city, but rather on Victory Blvd. in Staten Island.

Edited by njhorseman

43 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

And as many native New Yorkers know the correct name for that large bus terminal on the West Side is the Port of Authority (and the words "Bus Terminal" are never used). :classic_biggrin:

I have never heard Port Authority called Port of Authority.

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

The bus depot is called port authority, am I missing something?

Yes, you're missing something. I omitted an important word in the name of the parade, just like I added a word to the name of the bus terminal.. Now maybe the fact that you didn't notice that it was omitted gives credence to my contention that the name I used is commonly used by a lot of New Yorkers, even though it's very wrong.

38 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Yes, you're missing something. I omitted an important word in the name of the parade, just like I added a word to the name of the bus terminal.. Now maybe the fact that you didn't notice that it was omitted gives credence to my contention that the name I used is commonly used by a lot of New Yorkers, even though it's very wrong.

Ok, everyone I know calls it Macy’s thanksgiving day parade and port authority, nothing missing or added. Folks, if you are looking for where the buses are, you are looking for port authority.