Resort Dive: Roatan or Cozumel?

karenor

Planning to do a resort dive excursion with my 16-year old daughter in either Roatan or Cozumel, and then a snorkel excursion at the other. Any input on how to choose which to do in which location? We've ruled out doing 2 resort dives, so please don't suggest that.  Thank you!

For a resort dive (AKA Discover Scuba Dive), I think Roatan is your better bet.  It would also be my reccomendaiton for snorkeling, as it has reefs close to shore that would make for better snorkeling.  It may be you could do both there.  Perhaps you could arrange your resort dive in the morning, and hen stay at the location for snorkeling.  In Roatan I like Subway Water Sports, and I think their facility could make a combined dive and snorkel trip work well, as they have a nice restaurant and what not on site.  They also provide port pick-up and return.  (https://www.subwaywatersports.com/).

Cozumel has fantastic diving, but isn't great for snorkeling, and a Discover Scuba Dive is limited to 40 feet of depth, which precludes a lot of Cozumel's better dive sites.  Maybe have both scuba and snorkeling in Roatan, and keep Cozumel for another activity?

Harris

Denver, CO

Thanks so much for the pointers! I notice when I go to Subway Water Sports and click on the link for cruise passenger excursions, that it takes me to an excursion provider Roatan Tours who offers two discover scuba excursions, one through Subway, and the other through Mayan Divers. Any insight? Thanks again!

P. S. Do you think Costa Maya would be better for snorkeling than Cozumel? Very helpful to hear what you said about Cozumel snorkeling; too bad.  I'm not sure logistically we can do a combined resort dive/snorkel in Roatan. It's not offered formally as an excursion and the cost to arrange privately may be prohibitive. Still, I will investigate. And, am continuing to seek to snorkel at a second port.

Costa Maya would indeed have better snorkeling.  Contact my friends Catherine and Abel at Gypsea Divers there, and they can set you up.  If it's possible, I think the best option would be snorkeling at Roatan, and the Discover Scuba Dives with Gypsea Divers.  That way you'll get the best snorkeling, and have your discover dive somewhere with good diving at the depths you'll be limited to.  Plus, a day in Mahahual village at Costa Maya is SO much more enjoyable than hanging out at the pier side mall at Costa Maya.  Catherine can take a while to respond to emails as they're not a big company, but I promise you'll be delighted with anything you book through them.  (www.gypseadivers.com).

Harris

Denver, CO

Oh my goodness! Oh-KAY then - we'll have to regroup all our thinking! My sister will be happy, as she wanted to snorkel in Roatan, but I was thinking the resort dive would be best there. I'm apt to take  your advice; you seem very knowledgeable and I really want to optimize our experience! Do you think Roatan Excursions (the company that Subway uses for excursions) would be a good way to go for the Roatan snorkel?

I'm sure if Subway associates with them, they are good.  I was quite impressed with Subway's staff and facilities, so I'm confident they can take care of you. 

Email Catherine, and tell her Harris sent you.  She'll get you all set for the resort dive. 

That should have you all set.  That's what I'm best at, coming up with answers to questions that weren't asked.  🙂

Harris

Denver, CO

• 1 month later...

Discovery scuba in Cozumel, you can do the dive with dolphins at Chankanaab Park. Go to their web site and wait for the little chat icon to pop up. Ask about any deals on the discovery dive and they should offer you a 2 for 1.

When you get there you will check in where the dolphin pens are and they will direct you down the beach to the dive operator. You will kit up near the end of the reef/swim area and enter the water there, dive across the protected swim area to the dolphin area. Get out and wait for "your" dolphin to be available. While waiting you may have a chance to talk to trainers or the dolphin vet if they are around. Then you do your time with the dolphins. Afterwards you get back in the water and scuba back to the area where the dive booth is. Not sure how much time we were in the water but DW went in with 3000psi and came out right at 500psi as her first dive. Because of the price difference not a lot of people do the dive with dolphins, which with the 2 for 1 comes out to only about $30 more, we were the only two and got a ton of personalized attention.