27 Charcos. Amber Cove

bowsprit

Amber cove

27 falls 

27 Charcos

Not for the faint hearted..

We were looking for an excursion while in port at Amber Cove,  jan 2019, and near the taxi stand we saw a flyer for “27 falls”.

It showed  a pool, waterfall and a ladder.

OK, it looked great and easy to do... even at my  age I can visualize myself climbing down the ladder and swimming around.

So off we went.  I think the entry fee was $12 pp. and the taxi to get there..  about $50

Once there they provide a locker ($2) and a life vest ($2) and watershoes ($2). 

And then a helmet! 😲

I smelt a rat, but oh well. I am here now..

And a guide who said we would walk approximately  45 min to the falls. It is UP a path, with widely spaced steps. 

It was rather hot, and I took a few stops along the way to allow my heart to catch up!

At the top I lay down to recover and cool off.

There was a hut over to one side with a man standing by it.

It is the donkey ambulance for those that have had enough.  The only way down is by donkey! 

As i had recently rode a donkey in Santorini.. I will do anything to avoid doing that ever again. So on we go to the falls.

Fortunately it is not far now, and downhill..( did we climb up too far?)

You walk down and there is the first fall.  It looks amazing! And you have a choice of how to enter the water..Jump in from 25 foot or slide down 5 foot. 

I chose to slide.  Remember to wear a sturdy suit!

The water is cold, but it definitely will make you forget the slog up the steps!

Once in, we swam into a cave and then out again, making our way to the next fall, fortunately as you are already in the water, there is no more jumping.

The guide says we are heading for a “slide”.. .......I am thinking “ plastic slide”. Nope..I now know what the helmet is for.

You swim to the edge of the big natural pool and there, worn by countless butts is a snakelike slide in the rock.

The guide hangs onto your life vest at the neck, he tells you to lean way back, cross your arms across your chest and pinch your nose. Then he lets you go. About 15 foot down I hit the water and am submerged. 

I break the surface  thankful for the helmet and that I still have both elbows. I swim around this pool and look up at where I came from.

When we started out, I was disappointed to find out that we only did 7 of the falls, as to do the 27 took a lot of hiking and more time than we had in port.

Now I am so happy that there are only 5 more falls to do and not 25!

Each fall is a real trip😳 and the final slide is about 25 feet long. But each pool and the swim around it brings views of the rock and fauna hanging over your head. It is beautiful.

Our guide and the person  at the end of the final pool are getting a laugh out of me. I think they thought they would take me out on a stretcher. I did too...

But the bottom line... if I had seen this online, I would never at any age over 50 ..attempted it..I am way past 50!

So I am so glad I was clueless.. it was the most wonderful and amazing thing I have ever done. I will never forget it.

Just make sure you are up to the walk.......after that..it is all downhill.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We did this excursion many many years ago while in DR for a land vacation. Like you we had no clue what we were in for.  The brochure makes it sound exactly as you describe.  Also like you upon arrival and being given helmets we should have known this was more than we realized.   Loved loved loved it!   Definitely not for everyone, though! 

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any way to view these falls without jumping or sliding in them? We’re a bit too old for that. Lol! Mom and me-65 and 87! But we do enjoy pretty scenery !

Edited by indy71

On 5/8/2019 at 10:37 AM, indy71 said:

Is there any way to view these falls without jumping or sliding in them? We’re a bit too old for that. Lol! Mom and me-65 and 87! But we do enjoy pretty scenery !

Its not like the falls in Jamaica where there is a walkway beside them.   You have to hike a good bit (across the river and then up the mountain).  Then you have to jump or slide down most of them.  Some have ladders but they are wet and steep (they scared me more than jumping) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...