MSC What to do? What to do?

PapaSquatch

I'm an ole' hotrodder & spend a fair amount of time on car forums. With this experience, I understand most "reviews" and opinions on the forums usually only fall in one of two catagories; the very best, and the very worst. In between these two are probably the other 90% that rarely post on forums, thus it does make it hard to discern if subject X is good or bad. If these questions have been asked but I missed them, I apologize.

And I have read thru so many postings I've got sealegs sittin' in my recliner!

We cruised Disney in 2012, RC Liberty in '17 and RC Harmony in '18, all western Caribbean. Disney was our learning cruise, and would love to go on their ships again, but not at nearly double the price. Only difference between the two RC's was ship size. Aside from the fact RC really needs to get a good southern cook to make a proper biscuits and gravy 🥴 We would like to try a different line and are looking at MSC, as well as Norwegian. But since this posting is for MSC......So far, the so called lack, or slowness, of service, rudeness, etc is merely the social differences of Europeans vs Americans?

For the questions for those that have been on MSC Seaside out of Florida to the eastern Caribbean....

(we don't drink or gamble, so thats a moot point)

1-what on MSC is worth paying extra? (only extra on ship we've have paid extra for has been the murder mystery dinner on Liberty)

2-what on MSC is not worth the extra dime?

3-I only get rooms with balconys. The room is only for sleeping & napping, the balcony for reading & hoping to see anything break the water that we do not have in Missouri, so if theres enough room to comfortably sit inside or out, thats enough. I know the rooms will be pretty much the same across all cruise ships as they are made by just a few companies and tweaked to each lines personal design. But I see there are differing levels such as Bella vs Fantastica. Is it worth the $90 difference between these two? Any particular floor(s) that offer best rooms for quietness, and views?

3-on the Harmony, we somehow ended up with 2 specialty dining deals. Don't get me wrong, but we weren't overly impressed. Basically same food that we could get in the main dining room with just enough of a twist to make it different. But we did go crazy for the salts 150 Central Park offered though. Per different threads, it sounds like food on Seaside (all cruise ships regardless of line?) runs the same way? Same thing in most resturaunts with a slight twist to personalize it to each place?

4-we like the more historical type of excursions. As for the excursions available to MSC guests, how do they compare to RC's? Or are ALL the excursions for whomever is in port regardless of cruiseline?

5-I use a CPAP at night. On the Liberty, we had to request an extension cord to get to the nearest plug on the other side of the room. Harmony had a plug next to the bed. Any idea if there are plugs by the bed or should I bring my own extension cord?

6-lastly, anything else I may be forgetting?

Thank you all for your time.

We did the western itinerary on Seaside, but have done eastern and southern on other lines.  People rave about the Yacht Club, but we can't afford that.  We don't always get a balcony, because when we have one, we seldom use it.  WE had a Bella balcony on Divina, and when booking Seaside, I did a little research, and a little gambling...  I had read that if you booked an oceanview guarantee, you were almost guaranteed to get upgraded to a balcony.  I looked at the deck plans, and saw there were approx. 80 OV cabins, almost equally divided between Bella and Fantastica.  There are 1320 balcony cabins.  So I gambled:  I booked a fantastica OV gty and got a Fantastica balcony on deck 14.  I didn't book Bella OV because I was concerned I would be upgraded to a Fantastica OV.  The cabin turned out to have a tub/shower, instead of a stall shower.  This only happens in cabins for two.  It is hard to predict which ones will have them.  We never do specialty restaurants.  We find there is more food than we can eat in the MDR.  Though we were not really impressed with the mains, we really do fill up on appetizers, soups, and salads.  I never seemed to eat in the buffet except for breakfast.  

There is no difference in cabins between Bella and Fantastica, just location.  If you don't use room service a lot, Bella will be fine.  I think most cruise lines offer the same excursions.  Cabins have an outlet by the bed on one side, along with a usb outlet.  Our cabin had the bed by the balcony, and the outlet was on the balcony side of the bed.  There are also two usb hubs at the desk.  

I'm sure someone will be along to add to what I have said...EM

5 hours ago, Beamafar said:

On Divina, there is definitely a difference between Bella and Fantastica balcony cabins in size as the latter contains a sofa;  the former doesn't.

Not true.  We had a Bella balcony on Divina and had a couch.  The only difference is location.  EM

I still disagree.  The majority of balconies have a couch.  Except those with tubs instead of showers, which have a big chair, and those on deck 9 are Fantastica.   And those on the bumpout on Divina and Preziosa.  Those with the tiny balconies.  They have NO couch or chair, and those on decks 9-11 are Bella, but decks 12 & 13 are Fantastica.  EM

14 hours ago, PapaSquatch said:

I'm an ole' hotrodder & spend a fair amount of time on car forums. With this experience, I understand most "reviews" and opinions on the forums usually only fall in one of two catagories; the very best, and the very worst. In between these two are probably the other 90% that rarely post on forums, thus it does make it hard to discern if subject X is good or bad. If these questions have been asked but I missed them, I apologize.

We cruised Disney in 2012, RC Liberty in '17 and RC Harmony in '18, all western Caribbean. Disney was our learning cruise, and would love to go on their ships again, but not at nearly double the price. Only difference between the two RC's was ship size. Aside from the fact RC really needs to get a good southern cook to make a proper biscuits and gravy 🥴 We would like to try a different line and are looking at MSC, as well as Norwegian. But since this posting is for MSC......So far, the so called lack, or slowness, of service, rudeness, etc is merely the social differences of Europeans vs Americans?

For the questions for those that have been on MSC Seaside out of Florida to the eastern Caribbean....

1-what on MSC is worth paying extra? (only extra on ship we've have paid extra for has been the murder mystery dinner on Liberty) We just boked our first MSC so here's my input:  MSC matched our Royal Status so we will get the same perks on MSC as we did in Royal.  We opted for the YC that comes with a separate lounge, restaurant and pool deck and that was cheaper than what we would have paid for the NCL Haven or the Celebrity Retreat area.  MSC allows you to book a room and choose "experiences" which allows you to pick your perks such as spa treatment or drink package.  You can simply book a balcony room if you wish.  We are on the Meraviglia because we wanted to see the Circque de Soleil shows. I guess if you don't care and you just want a balcony room, this would be irrelevant.

2-what on MSC is not worth the extra dime?

3-I only get rooms with balconys. The room is only for sleeping & napping, the balcony for reading & hoping to see anything break the water that we do not have in Missouri, so if theres enough room to comfortably sit inside or out, thats enough. I know the rooms will be pretty much the same across all cruise ships as they are made by just a few companies and tweaked to each lines personal design. But I see there are differing levels such as Bella vs Fantastica. Is it worth the $90 difference between these two? Any particular floor(s) that offer best rooms for quietness, and views? Bella doesn't come with anything and balcony cabins are at lower decks. Fantastica comes with drink package.

3-on the Harmony, we somehow ended up with 2 specialty dining deals. Don't get me wrong, but we weren't overly impressed. Basically same food that we could get in the main dining room with just enough of a twist to make it different. But we did go crazy for the salts 150 Central Park offered though. Per different threads, it sounds like food on Seaside (all cruise ships regardless of line?) runs the same way? Same thing in most resturaunts with a slight twist to personalize it to each place?

4-we like the more historical type of excursions. As for the excursions available to MSC guests, how do they compare to RC's? Or are ALL the excursions for whomever is in port regardless of cruiseline? Excursions on all cruise lines are pretty much the same with variety to choose from.

5-I use a CPAP at night. On the Liberty, we had to request an extension cord to get to the nearest plug on the other side of the room. Harmony had a plug next to the bed. Any idea if there are plugs by the bed or should I bring my own extension cord? YES my understanding is that Seaside has plugs.  My husband uses one too.

6-lastly, anything else I may be forgetting?

Edited by nednrom

We've never sailed MSC. Our first will be a western in November on the Seaside. We’ve sailed mainly on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. We were given Black as a status match from our Diamond status on Royal. Having said all that, when I booked the Seaside a few months ago, the promotion included the Easy drink package with the Bella or higher experience. We could have chosen higher deck cabins on the 13th deck fore and aft, but chose a center hump cabin on deck 10. Also you will get a 5% discount when booking if you are a black member, and an additional 5% discount for military veterans. I’ve price checked our cruise recently, and found the Easy package is no longer offered on our cruise, but the price has dropped indicating to me how they factor in the drink packages.

Edited by TomC21

The plug in the Seaside balcony room did NOT have  a power outlet next to the bed so an extension lead would be required. Bring your own but not one with a surge protector built in - they're not allowed.

I think if you do not mind when you dine in the MDR or free room service breakfast, Bella is fine. Lower cabin sure, but that's no bad thing. The food on Seaside was really good in the MDR but we really enjoyed the speciality restaurants, especially Butchers cut and Ocean Cay. We would consider paying a la carte for them next time. The only excursion we book with MSC are those where, otherwise, there would be a real risk of missing the ship or other transportation issues.

• Like 1

First of it all: Welcome aboard our forum!... Be at home!... We are here to at least try to help!...

Many has been said by the other forum members. Permit me just to add some notes:

1. Imagine this situation: You go to to a bar:

On an American venue: A waiter will come around you with a conversation like if he is your best old school friend. The drinks order is then merely "instrumental" if I can make myself understandable.

On an European venue: Unless you explicitly take some form of eye contact or talk directly with the waiter they will not likely come to you. The ordering for drinks is therefore the "true subject" expected from the conversation.

By and large this is what better defines the difference between American and European services alike. Of course you might to have good or bad service in both systems. And to say the least: Even being a continental European who prefers the European way; I highly enjoy a wonderful service provided the other way. The European way tends to be just more discreet and less intrusive, IMHO.

2. Some things like a coffee are ordered in different ways also. If you're considering a Caribbean cruise you won't have this issue once they are used to the uses of the region.

3. Shore excursions provided industry wise are basically provided from the same providers, once the cruise lines need to purchase them from local operators that better know the local sites and work daily there. The main difference might to be on the way things are managed locally, but that might to change sailing by sailing and in some cases is dependent on the good guests cooperation, for example to avoid delays.

4. By and large I consider MSC as a good product even though somewhat classical in the way the experience is going. The newer ships do have some of the mainstream family activities trends now in the industry!...

5. What is worth to pay extra? Gelato!... In most ships it is Venchi product; such a premium Italian Gelato trademark! It's wonderful!... Meraviglia Class do have Jean-Philippe Maurie, such a French venue I have never experienced. Might to be wonderful as well!...

Have a nice day!

Edited by Nunagoras

22 hours ago, PapaSquatch said:

We cruised Disney in 2012, RC Liberty in '17 and RC Harmony in '18, all western Caribbean. Disney was our learning cruise, and would love to go on their ships again, but not at nearly double the price. Only difference between the two RC's was ship size. Aside from the fact RC really needs to get a good southern cook to make a proper biscuits and gravy 🥴 We would like to try a different line and are looking at MSC, as well as Norwegian. But since this posting is for MSC......So far, the so called lack, or slowness, of service, rudeness, etc is merely the social differences of Europeans vs Americans?  We didn't experience any rudeness from crew or most of the guests. It's just a different way of doing things - in our experiences in Europe - staff and such are efficient, prompt, etc but not fawning or trying to be your new best friend, etc. They're happy to bring whatever you ask for, but they're not hovering and asking if you need something or such every 5 minutes. If you need something, you signal them and ask for it... as for guests - there's nothing you can do there really. We found most everyone to be friendly, having a good time, a smile and hand language went a long way, trying a few words in their language helped, etc. There's tons of places to enjoy on the ship, easy enough to find somewhere else to enjoy if someone is rude. If a staff member is genuinely rude - definitely report them, but them being direct is not being rude - we heard several complaints about a rude staff member who was direct and then went on their way - I guess those guests wanted the crew member to sit and chat about whatever it was for a while before getting their answer? That's among the differences... we've experiences...

1-what on MSC is worth paying extra? (only extra on ship we've have paid extra for has been the murder mystery dinner on Liberty)   Worth is in the eye of the beholder. That said - the gelato is universally accepted to be fantastic - and it is!  The coffee drink concoctions are also pretty darn amazing.  Specialty Dining can be worth it if you're in to that - we found the Teppanyaki to be worth the extra money. The Asian kitchen was very good and Butcher's Cut was a steakhouse - we ate at both free, not entirely certain I'd pay for either though.. The Teppanyaki - yes. The Zip Line is worth it for a ride ($10).  The Thermal Suite is pretty great - all sorts of wonderful steam and saunas, the hydro pool, the extra outdoor deck space for some peace and quiet. 

2-what on MSC is not worth the extra dime?  the 4D movies. We never even got in, the lines were long, and the shows were short.  YMMV

3-I only get rooms with balconys. The room is only for sleeping & napping, the balcony for reading & hoping to see anything break the water that we do not have in Missouri, so if theres enough room to comfortably sit inside or out, thats enough. I know the rooms will be pretty much the same across all cruise ships as they are made by just a few companies and tweaked to each lines personal design. But I see there are differing levels such as Bella vs Fantastica. Is it worth the $90 difference between these two? Any particular floor(s) that offer best rooms for quietness, and views?   The differences are a few inclusions/exclusions, and location of balcony. If you can swing a balcony on 9, they're much larger balcony footprint, with full size loungers, two chairs, table...wonderful. And super easy access to Atrium and all there. I think there's Fantastica Balconies there. Fantastica gets priority on the dining times (all experiences are set dining times except Aurea and Yacht Club, fyi).  Fantastica also gets free room service delivery.  That's about all the difference really.

3-on the Harmony, we somehow ended up with 2 specialty dining deals. Don't get me wrong, but we weren't overly impressed. Basically same food that we could get in the main dining room with just enough of a twist to make it different. But we did go crazy for the salts 150 Central Park offered though. Per different threads, it sounds like food on Seaside (all cruise ships regardless of line?) runs the same way? Same thing in most resturaunts with a slight twist to personalize it to each place?   Back to above - we will definitely be doing the Teppanyaki again on our next sailing, and probably Butcher's Cut and Asian Market again, as we get a free specialty dinner each week. Specialty Dining is a little different on MSC - there's three options: Trio Dining Package: one night in each of the three specialty restauraints (can't skip one usually), with the set menu of three courses, one item from each course, again no subs (or if you want something off the rest of the menu, it's 50% off),   A La Carte Pricing: choose whatever you want and pay for each item, or do the set Prixe Fix/set menu at the fixed price (same choices as dining package).. 

4-we like the more historical type of excursions. As for the excursions available to MSC guests, how do they compare to RC's? Or are ALL the excursions for whomever is in port regardless of cruiseline?   Cruise ship excursions are cruise ship excursions are cruise ship excurions.. Very very easy to book private/independent tours and do your own thing in the East Caribbean (or west caribbean) ports. And cheaper. 

5-I use a CPAP at night. On the Liberty, we had to request an extension cord to get to the nearest plug on the other side of the room. Harmony had a plug next to the bed. Any idea if there are plugs by the bed or should I bring my own extension cord?  Didn't notice an outlet by the bed, you'll likely need an extension cord. Don't know whether they line provides one. 

6-lastly, anything else I may be forgetting?  The business model is different between MSC and the other mainstream lines. Your "Experience" determines what's included and what you pay extra for, also determines where on the ship you can access (have to be YAcht Club to access YC areas and so forth). There's great info at the website with comparison charts between all the experiences, etc.  It's a much more cosmopolitan experience overall, and a much more European/Continental Experience overall - staff is helpful and efficient, not trying to be your new best friend for extra tips or such. Expect prompt, efficient, friendly service - but not fawning, etc type...It's a great change of pace. Food portions are smaller - you can actually eat three or four courses, and not be stuffed or bloated, etc. Seasonings and pairings are different.  Ask for extras if you want them - no problem. And the gelato and chocolate bar are fab! Make reservations for the shows (only onboard) - there's three showings a night, and their fantastic (although a touch repetitive), and only 35 minutes long - lots of dancing, acrobatics, etc, not a lot of singing and such. Amazing sets. It's a fantastic experience - we loved it, and are gonna find it hard going back to Princess for our next two sailings.  Fortunately - two more Seaside after that!  lol. 

See answers in red! 

Edited by reedprincess