Dumb question from a non-drinker about “slow bar service” on Breakaway.

AdoraBelle

Backstory: been on a lot of NCL cruises solo. Don’t really drink. Actually cruising on BA with my husband in a few weeks. We might have a few drinks. Lots of reviews and live TRs remarking on very slow bar service on BA lately, understaffed bartenders, etc. (20-30 minutes to get a drink is quoted at times.)

But ... they’re almost always talking about the Atrium bar. As someone who loves walking all over the ships, I’m pretty sure there are a LOT of other bars, some more tucked away than others. Are these complaints mostly coming from people who don’t realize they’re at “crowd central” for the interior of the ship? Or who just don’t want to walk to another deck or go outside?

Or are all the bars (allegedly) slow?

You hit the nail on the head. Bar service is the same as it has always been. Only a fool would wait 20-30 minutes for a drink. You know as well as anyone (being a past cruiser) that if you walk 30 seconds in any direction (well maybe forward or up from the Atrium bar), you will stumble into another bar. I have never waited in a line. I can usually walk right up to a bar,,,, and wait to be served (which may take a few minutes). 

Was on getaway last July.  Similar ship but ymmv.  Atrium bar was far and away the busiest and had the worst service, but even there it wasn't more than 10 min.

Sugarcane would get busy but they were always friendly and the waterfront side had fantastic service. IIRC its just upstairs from the atrium. Spice h2o was really busy during events, but they bring out a beer cart to help at those times, plus it's a party,and kind of expected.

Headliners and the pool bar were also busy, but most of the other bars were largely walk right up.

6 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

5 minute wait at most in bars, off Breakaway feb 17th.  We went to many!!!  Atrium is always packed, avoid.

We were off Breakaway Feb 7th and attended most events in the Atrium and never waited more than 5 minutes for drinks.  They were 3 servers working the area.  If you tried to go to the bar yourself you might have to wait.  The best bar we found was the one just outside Garden Cafe before the pool bar never crowded 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AdoraBelle said:

Backstory: been on a lot of NCL cruises solo. Don’t really drink. Actually cruising on BA with my husband in a few weeks. We might have a few drinks. Lots of reviews and live TRs remarking on very slow bar service on BA lately, understaffed bartenders, etc. (20-30 minutes to get a drink is quoted at times.)

But ... they’re almost always talking about the Atrium bar. As someone who loves walking all over the ships, I’m pretty sure there are a LOT of other bars, some more tucked away than others. Are these complaints mostly coming from people who don’t realize they’re at “crowd central” for the interior of the ship? Or who just don’t want to walk to another deck or go outside?

Or are all the bars (allegedly) slow?

on all ships the atrium bar is going to be a bit slower. Even with ample bar tenders they can only work so fast and it does get crowded. With all the choices for bar service just find any of the others. Oh, the pool bar will be crowed on sea days as well. As for the atrium bar we have found the service is better if you sit and wait for a wait person. Regardless we have never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes for a drink. Last time we were on the Breakaway it was totally sold out, spring break and still not that long of a wait, 

• Like 1

We were on the Breakaway twice.  I only had a hard time getting a drink once at the Mixx Bar (between Taste and Savor),  I even waved money at the bartender and he ignored me.  Got tired of waiting and went into the dining room.  Got my drink from the waiter at dinner.  He was very happy to take my tip.  I always give an extra dollar or two when I get a drink - even though the gratuities are paid.  When I walked up to most of the bars, the bar tenders recognize me and serve me very quickly - over some who have been waiting before me.  One of the bar tenders at the atrium bar would see me walking up and start making my drink right away - it would often be ready by the time I got to the bar - now that's service!  (She earned a lot of extra money in tips from me that week.)