Formal night

Dilly dolly

4 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Hardly rebellions at all but I guess since you're from California your not familiar with the relaxed Florida comfortable lifestyle.

LOL.  I'd be surprised if any lifestyle is more laid back than CA.

Re his shirt what does he put in all four pockets?  I'm thinking here on the Left Coast that some women wouldn't go out in public with someone dressed in one.  And he wears it to formal nights?  Oh sigh.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Re his shirt what does he put in all four pockets?  I'm thinking here on the Left Coast that some women wouldn't go out in public with someone dressed in one.  And he wears it to formal nights?  Oh sigh.

Nothing at all.

They're for decoration not for actual use. Try one some time & you'll see. 

I suppose the west coast people are a little different after all, even with their style of dress. 

On 7/14/2019 at 6:23 PM, clo said:

The Guayabera shirt may not look formal to many in the US, but it is considered a formal shirt in much of the Hispanic world.

Possibly there is a different look in US copycat shirts versus traditional, like the difference between a dress kilt and a utili-kilt.

ETA: I envision "island time" as more laid back than CA.

Edited by pacruise804

• 4 months later...

Geez, why does the cattiness always seem to come out when ANOTHER dress code thread comes around...if the cruise line doesn’t care how formal or informal it’s guests are dressed...why should any of us?

Now it’s a east coast/west coast beef?  Come on, we all love to cruise...enjoy your vacations and be nicer to one another.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Dr'spin has three long-sleeved guayaberas,  and they look quite dressy. Not quite black-tie dressy, but cruise ship Gala.

My DR has a few and has worn them on Princess for many years now in place of his jacket. He wears by them and has never been refused to the DR.

• Like 1

We've chosen to go black tie formal for our cruise on Princess in January. Both "formal" nights are in the cooler temperatures off California and take little extra packing room (especially mine). It makes us feel good to dress up so that's our choice.

• Like 3

On 11/23/2019 at 9:17 AM, cruznjan said:

I remember when cruising was an elegant vacation. To me, formal means formal. Yes, they have changed  the names to cater to the "I don't want to dress up on my vacation" crowd, but we love to dress up. Our choice.

So do you mean like ball gowns and white tie and tails?

I love having an opportunity to dress up! I'm an exercise instructor and live in sweaty spandex 5 days a week. Here is a pic of me and DH on Elegant Night. For me it's just fun to glam it up. If someone else chooses not to, that's their choice and it doesn't make my Elegant Night less elegant.

IMG_1295.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cruznjan said:

Gowns, yes. White tie and tails, no - suit and tie.

So something like this for a woman? But why not formal for a man. Suit and tie, IMO, is in no way formal.

Betsy & Adam Satin Evening Gown

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Is a suit and tie formal? 

There are people who get very pedantic about this subject. IMO (and many professional fashion experts) a suit and tie isn't "formal." And when I asked above about a "ball gown" I again got push back.

14 minutes ago, cruznjan said:

If you are looking for an argument, I'm not playing that game.

Nope. It was asking which attire is formal for the man and the woman. Definitely formal for the woman but not for the man. My point is that it seems like everyone has a different opinion. When we went formal Bob wore black tie..

5 hours ago, clo said:

Nope. It was asking which attire is formal for the man and the woman. Definitely formal for the woman but not for the man. My point is that it seems like everyone has a different opinion. When we went formal Bob wore black tie..

Hubby used to, now he wears a dark suit.