Koningsdam in the Caribbean

Copper10-8

A full house for the late (10:00 PM) production show "Humanity" in the Main Stage by the six dancers from One Step, part of RWS Entertainment; One awesome show, especially on this type of modern stage with the huge LED screen. The "paint show" was especially entertaining. Really good to see Becca, one of the dancers again!

Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

Image may contain: one or more people and crowd

Image may contain: 1 person, on stage, standing, night and indoor

Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people dancing and indoor

• Like 1

A full house for the late (10:00 PM) production show "Humanity" in the Main Stage by the six dancers from One Step, part of RWS Entertainment; One awesome show, especially on this type of modern stage with the huge LED screen. The "paint show" was especially entertaining. Really good to see Becca, one of the dancers again!

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, night and shoes

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, night and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and shoes

Image may contain: one or more people, people on stage, people dancing and indoor

Image may contain: 1 person

Image may contain: one or more people, people on stage, people dancing, shoes, outdoor and indoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people on stage and night

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nw gardener said:

Thank you for posting, thinking of booking the Kdam to Alaska next summer.   I haven't been on a HAL ship since last summer,  are all ships now doing the safety muster indoors?

Thanks! Only the K-dam and Nieuw S-dam due to lack of space on the boat deck

Cockburn Town, Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands; Adrift out here on the fringes of the Caribbean, the Turks and Caicos Islands sit at the bottom of the Bahamas chain, nature's afterthought, 575 miles southeast of Miami, FL. Grand Turk is the largest island in the Turks Islands, the smaller of the two archipelagos that make up the island nation of Turks and Caicos, with 6.9 square miles. Grand Turk contains the territory's capital, Cockburn Town, as well as the JAGS McCartney International Airport. The island is the administrative, historic, cultural and financial center of the territory, and has the second largest population of the islands at approximately 3,720 people.

Grand Turk was first colonized in 1681 by Bermudians, who set up the salt industry in the islands. In 1766 it became the capital of the country. The name comes from a species of cactus on the island, the Turk's Cap Cactus, which has a distinctive cap, reminiscent of an Ottoman fez. Grand Turk gained international attention in 1962 when John Glenn’s Friendship 7 Mercury spacecraft landed in the vicinity of Grand Turk Island off the southeast shoreline. A replica of the Friendship 7 is on display in Grand Turk at the entrance to that same JAGS McCartney International Airport

54267990_10156921466880729_6450324963378331648_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=959c3ffd9f565b7ca1151928d3fd6924&oe=5D4E534B

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Image may contain: one or more people, sky, ocean and outdoor

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

• Like 1

Love all your great pictures and the many details you tell us about Copper10-8  would this be your first time on the Koningsdam after always serving on many of the other ships .? 

For us the specialty restaurants like the Tamarind , the Sel de Mer and Pinnacle . (Try the Sushi Bar)  and of coarse the Grand Dutch Cafe that's where you can always find us with all the special treats . One thing I miss though is the nautical history of the HAL , no paintings or pictures of the proud 145 year history  ( Only 1 Captain Card ) 

Have a fantastic cruise , I will keep on following your adventures .

• Thanks 1

Copper10-8:

My wife and I are also on the same cruise with you and I just got caught up on your postings, which are excellent.   Always love your informative writings.

We’re having a great time and love the ship, our first HAL cruise after several cruises on other lines.  I had a chance to meet the staff captain Fritz at the Officers on Deck party last night.  Very nice guy.  He said there are 400 people staying on for the full 21 days. 

There was a nice sunset last night and I caught this view through one of the openings on the promenade deck. 

5F4B18C9-065F-4438-BDAC-A1400259A044.jpeg

• Like 2

Copper, if you get a chance can you see if anyone knows what the Koningsdam is doing after the 2020 Alaska season.  It seems to be something of a mystery, even to the Prinsendam's Future Cruise Consultant.

Roy

John I am enjoying your posting from the K'DAM.  I did not care for the ship.  I was shocked by it.  I reacted better to NS but don't like the Promenade deck at all.   Neither seem like a HAL ship.  I did like Club Orange on the NS  I hope you have a great cruise.  You will love the ABC islands.  They are so Dutch, especially Curacao I will watch your posts with bated breath.

• Thanks 1

Enjoying your informative review of your K'Dam cruise. I especially enjoyed the pictures of Half Moon Cay. We just got off a 14 day Panama Canal cruise on the N. Amsterdam and unfortunately HMC was not part of our cruise. After looking at your pics we will have to schedule another trip to see the island. Thanks again John.

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2019 at 1:07 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Frozen tundra stuff  ..............................j/k each life boat has one of those boxes inside; filled with emergency survival equipment and stuff to attract the attention of aircraft and ships such as flares, signal mirrors, etc.

Actually I was referring to the tall red box on the desk in your cabin . . . it looks like it might just be one of my favourite beverages . . . ;-)

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

10 hours ago, mncyclist said:

Copper10-8:

My wife and I are also on the same cruise with you and I just got caught up on your postings, which are excellent.   Always love your informative writings.

We’re having a great time and love the ship, our first HAL cruise after several cruises on other lines.  I had a chance to meet the staff captain Fritz at the Officers on Deck party last night.  Very nice guy.  He said there are 400 people staying on for the full 21 days. 

There was a nice sunset last night and I caught this view through one of the openings on the promenade deck. 

5F4B18C9-065F-4438-BDAC-A1400259A044.jpeg

Thanks for the kind words! That is one awesome sunset pic! Great job!  Staff Captain Frits Carsjens happens to be the brother of HAL Captain Marco Carsjens; didn't know if you were aware of that little tidbit. Withe the staff captain and K-dam's Captain Darin Bowland, we are in good hands for this trip 😉

17 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

Love all your great pictures and the many details you tell us about Copper10-8  would this be your first time on the Koningsdam after always serving on many of the other ships .? 

For us the specialty restaurants like the Tamarind , the Sel de Mer and Pinnacle . (Try the Sushi Bar)  and of coarse the Grand Dutch Cafe that's where you can always find us with all the special treats . One thing I miss though is the nautical history of the HAL , no paintings or pictures of the proud 145 year history  ( Only 1 Captain Card ) 

Have a fantastic cruise , I will keep on following your adventures .

First time on K-dam for a full cruise after visiting her for the day during her inaugural season in 2016 in Civitavecchia. We (the child bride and I) are impressed with lots of things on her (the K-dam, not the child bride 😉, although I am always impressed by the lovely Mrs. 😍) so far; Club Orange, Rolling Stones Rock Room, the BB Kings, the Main Stage capabilities, the indoor muster drill, the fantastic Gym, the Grand Dutch Cafe and more. Yeah you're right, I also miss the HAL historical pics as well as the lack of Capt. Card's awesome paintings in the fwd stairwell

9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Copper, if you get a chance can you see if anyone knows what the Koningsdam is doing after the 2020 Alaska season.  It seems to be something of a mystery, even to the Prinsendam's Future Cruise Consultant.

Roy

5 hours ago, Himself said:

Where is the K'DAM going in 2020 after she finishes Alaska?

Will see what I can find out for your gentlemen and will get back to you

8 hours ago, killsport said:

Copper - enjoying your pics and your trip. Wish I was there!!!

Any chance you can get closer on this picture? I'm really curious as to the pricing...

THANK YOU!!!!

Thanks!! Yup, should not be a problem! Stand by for add'l

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Actually I was referring to the tall red box on the desk in your cabin . . . it looks like it might just be one of my favourite beverages . . . 😉

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

You know, like Dog River's own Sgt. Davis Quinton, I confuse easily Your Honor, hence the pic of the large red box of emergency supplies sitting all by its lonely self on the deck in response to your initial query 😉 So, looking at the cabin pics, if you are referring to the object that appears to be a red box next to the outside window, that is merely an orange "welcome On Board" folder, folded and standing on its end so unfortunately  its not a drinkable item such as a bottle of Baileys in a nice gift package 😥

Btw, I understand Corner Gas is now out in animated form, is that good info? Say hi to honey bunny from us!

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

You know, like Dog River's own Sgt. Davis Quinton, I confuse easily Your Honor, hence the pic of the large red box of emergency supplies sitting all by its lonely self on the deck in response to your initial query  So, looking at the cabin pics, if you are referring to the object that appears to be a red box next to the outside window, that is merely an orange "welcome On Board" folder, folded and standing on its end so unfortunately  its not a drinkable item such as a bottle of Baileys in a nice gift package 

Btw, I understand Corner Gas is now out in animated form, is that good info? Say hi to honey bunny from us!

Not Bailey's?  Well that's disappointing!   Yes, CG is out in animated form; I've seen a few episodes - I liked the real versions better.  Honey Bunny says hi to you & Maria - enjoy your cruise!!

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

10 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Good report so far.  I agree with your comments: a beautiful ship with great entertainment venues.  Narrow promenade deck without deck chairs was our biggest negative.

It is a big Negative for me as well.  It is this way on both the Nieuw Statendam and on the Koningsdam as well.

2 hours ago, Himself said:

It is a big Negative for me as well.  It is this way on both the Nieuw Statendam and on the Koningsdam as well.

Yes it is that way on the two new Pinnacle-class ships, Father! Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a perfect cruise line and/or cruise ship. Koningsdam has positive and negative aspects; the loss of the Vista/Signature-class API promenade deck is a negative for us, however, the added entertainment and restaurant venues, the very nice gym with lots of exercise equipment, the "old-fashioned Crow's Nest, etc. are big pluses in our opinion 

• Like 2