OBC or Upgrade maybe?

bstrong3

Booked the Equinox for 2021 through celebrity and received the 3 perks and onboard credit. We usually switch it over to our TA for more credit and perks, this time they can offer me an additional 75$ OBC. We have never been offered an upgrade through the TA in the 6 cruises we booked. If you leave the booking with celebrity do you have a better chance of an upgrade? Or would you just take the 75.00 OBC and be happy with that? I know a bird in hand, but I cant help but think I might be leaving 2 in the bush. Thanks in advance for any advise or experiences John

I used to transfer my reservation to my big box retailer religiously. My Celebrity travel planner, however, matches whatever the big box offers as OBC, even if the big box only offers a gift card......even AFTER the 60 day window to transfer. It takes a bit of trust as the additional OBC does not show up until onboard. He's given an additional $275 and $475 OBC numerous times on top of the $300 GO BEST OBC....as long as he can see the TA offer online. Needless to say, we don't transfer anymore. BTW, we book Aqua class.

11 minutes ago, gotcha3 said:

I used to transfer my reservation to my big box retailer religiously. My Celebrity travel planner, however, matches whatever the big box offers as OBC, even if the big box only offers a gift card......even AFTER the 60 day window to transfer. It takes a bit of trust as the additional OBC does not show up until onboard. He's given an additional $275 and $475 OBC numerous times on top of the $300 GO BEST OBC....as long as he can see the TA offer online. Needless to say, we don't transfer anymore. BTW, we book Aqua class.

This has not been offered to us - but we book in the lower categories - inside or OV.  Additionally, the large online TA we use (not the big box shopping folks) often have cabins with group rates, which are definitely not matched by X.  Also the TA picks up the gratuities.  So we always end up with all 3 perks in an OV cabin (2 from X, 1 from TA).  (Exceptions -transatlantic and repositioning)

Maybe OP needs to look at other TA's.

Edited by jkgourmet

Upgrade or upsell?  Upgrade, other than within category is unusual, but does happen from time to time, whether you book with =X= or TA.  Celebrity would rather offer an upsell, through their auction or directly, in order to capture a few more revenue $$.  I learned many cruises ago to be happy with what I pay for, because it is unlikely to "get" a higher category.

• Like 2

I always book when the cruise first becomes available to book (GO BEST) , using my Celebrity planner and a refundable deposit. As time passes, I check the big box prices online. When  find a lower price, I shoot an email to my Celebrity planner and get the price dropped (adjusted, whatever),  and get a new invoice  usually the same day. Easy peasy. To book initially, I have to contact my planner, then he manages the reservation. I was told, you almost never get an uprade or upsell dealing with a TA (big box or otherwise) because they handle so many reservations, they never check individual emails with offers for you. I'm not sure about the group rates thing (I suspect my TA's rates are group rates) and still my Celebrity planner matches them. FYI, we usually pay $1500-$1800 pp A1 with a 4 perks, plus the extra OBC.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kenevenpar said:

Upgrade or upsell?  Upgrade, other than within category is unusual, but does happen from time to time, whether you book with =X= or TA.  Celebrity would rather offer an upsell, through their auction or directly, in order to capture a few more revenue $$.  I learned many cruises ago to be happy with what I pay for, because it is unlikely to "get" a higher category.

Agreed.  Years ago, we got some kind of upgrade on nearly every cruise regardless of the cruiseline.  That means we purchased inside GTY and got 'upgraded' to a better located or larger inside or an OV.  A couple of times we got very obstructed balcony.  The "Upgrade Fairy" died a few years ago, replaced with upselling - paying for the better cabin.  

Personally, I get it and have no problem.  Cruise lines have one single goal:  to make a profit.  Ultimately, Everything they do is to achieve that objective.  Selling an upgrade makes more income than giving it away for free.

Now the only times we've gotten upgraded without a cost is when the fate decreased substantially after final payment.  Even then, it's pretty minor.

If the best the TA can do is $75 I would look at another TA.   When we first started cruising we used a brick & mortar TA and would get get a bottle of wine or maybe $50.  

When we found out how much we were leaving on the table we now transfer our bookings to a large on-line TA or a big box store.  We have 6 cruises booked over the next 18 months and from the for the 6 cruises we are receiving $2575 in refundable OBC and $1290 in pre-paid gratuties.  

1 hour ago, gotcha3 said:

I presume it’s then non refundable OBC if direct from X planner, whereas the TA’s is refundable.