4 Star Mariner FINALLY

hugger

😃

We are sailing on the Rotterdam in a couple of weeks.  This will be our first time after attaining our 4 Star's.

I'm wondering how the laundry and Pressing benefit works?  We will be coming from another trip - clothes will be clean - but normally iron for days prior to a cruise.  Then I get to port - unpack and we're still wrinkled.

Can we send them out to be pressed?  

How do you other 4 Star Mariner's find the laundry service to be?

this is the one perk I've really looked forward to attaining :classic_biggrin:

Also, wandering about the Wine Packages for a 7 day cruise.  

What package do you prefer?

And, do you pre order before the cruise or once onboard - it appears you get your discount either way correct?

One more question - is bottled  water included in the mini bar set up 50% discount?  

Does anyone happen to have a price list for the mini bar?  

Thanking you in advance for your help.

• Like 1

We have been 4 star for awhile and I do not iron prior to my cruise as I used to. I unpack and send out those items for press only the same day. We usually get them back next day. Love free laundry and dry cleaning perk. We don’t purchase wine or water so can’t address that question 

• Like 1

If you pre order a wine package -- you have to pay for it right away with your credit card -- no discount until you are on the ship.  And then you will get the 50% discount as a Loyalty meno on your account -- but only for the wine -- not the gratuity.

So I would wait until you get on the ship, look over the packages and see what wines you like the best in each package.

Can't help you with the mini bar as we do not buy anything from there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hugger said:

😃

We are sailing on the Rotterdam in a couple of weeks.  This will be our first time after attaining our 4 Star's.

Congrats on achieving 4* 🙂 

1 hour ago, hugger said:

I'm wondering how the laundry and Pressing benefit works?  We will be coming from another trip - clothes will be clean - but normally iron for days prior to a cruise.  Then I get to port - unpack and we're still wrinkled.

I’ve been very happy with the laundry service.  If I want something washed in cold water, I mark it accordingly and it is. 😉. Pressing is no problem and a good job usually.

By the way, we were on the Rotterdam in 2017 for 30+ days and very happy with laundry.

1 hour ago, hugger said:

And, do you pre order before the cruise or once onboard - it appears you get your discount either way correct?

I stopped pre-ordering many years ago.  Much better to wait until you get on board and see which bottles are available for each package and then decide IMO.

It depends on what wines you like and I think the wine packages are changing too.  But based on our last cruise we like Cellar #2 and #3.  It just depends on what wines are being offered.

1 hour ago, hugger said:

One more question - is bottled  water included in the mini bar set up 50% discount?  

Yes the bottled water is part of the mini bar.  At least it has been for us.

• Thanks 1

As to the wine package - we always book it while onboard from the MDR wine steward.  I was told by them that they get some sort of credit for "selling" the package and they seem to appreciate that we waited to buy it from them.  Also, I always get my 50% discount that way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hugger said:

😃

congratulations on four stars,we just got ours on the Rotterdam last year. the clothes would be pressed coming back from washing never sent anything just for pressing. just ask your cabin steward for help. the wine package we liked was #2 & #3  on a  longer cruise , but you could get 4/4 or 6/6. the better wines were in package #3 in my  opinion. we never get anything from the mini bar so not sure if you get that on the water. 

• Like 1

We were on the Rotterdam in February for 21 days and wanted DH sports coat dry cleaned and were told they don't dry clean any longer.  They pressed it, but that's all.  The service was still on the list.

Congrats on becoming a 4 star.  We are close, but no additional star yet.  

• Like 1

Congratulations on achieving this milestone.  Exciting, isn't it?  I rarely send anything to the laundry as I wash most of my clothes on delicate cycle, using a special liquid that preserves the clothes and prevents fading.  But, I do send items to be pressed or steamed.  It's wonderful.  Like others, I don't iron at home.  I wait and send those items out.  Everything, including my formal gowns, have been returned wrinkle-free.  I indicate on the laundry form that I'm 4*, although I doubt if this is necessary.  We were once charged for my husband's shirts and underwear, which we did send to the laundry.  I went to the Front Desk, politely pointed out our 4*, the charge was promptly removed, and HA sent us a bottle of wine.  Not necessary, but appreciated.  My husband enjoyed it, but I rarely drink wine. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Been There, Planning That said:

We're not four star but make good use of the 'blue' bag.  I've now begun to store once white but now grey cotton underwear just cruising.  It's worth the inconvenience.

I bring along a small spray bottle of spot removal which I use before sending things to the 

Oh yes, my "used to be white" socks. I told a Concierge that if the laundry was  going to dye my white socks the same color as the ship at least sew on the HAL logo 🙂

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, frankc98376 said:

Oh yes, my "used to be white" socks. I told a Concierge that if the laundry was  going to dye my white socks the same color as the ship at least sew on the HAL logo 🙂

We had the same issue once.  Ever since we started sending out our whites separately (different day).  Works great.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, hugger said:

I quit ironing in advance of cruising a few years ago, happy to pay for someone on the ship to do it for me 😄  Oh YES you can send them out to be pressed 😄 😄 😄  

Even before we got to 4*, we really liked the ship laundry service!

• Like 1

I just pulled a yellow tag off a shirt this morning when folding it after doing laundry at home... I always like finding those little reminders of a cruise! 🙂 I agree that the laundry and pressing is the best thing about being a four star mariner.  It makes it possible to pack much lighter, and they do a great job on the laundry.  One thing I've learned, though, if you don't want your jeans or other pants creased, you must write "DO NOT CREASE PANTS" on the form... 🙂 Also, as others have noted, I say "Please wash in cold water."  I use cold water at home on clothing, and I don't want to risk any shrinkage or other damage. Everything always comes back great.  And don't forget to let them know whether you prefer hangers or folded laundry. If you fail to specify, their default will be wire hangars, which, IMO damage clothing... Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Moriah
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2019 at 3:43 PM, Been There, Planning That said:

We're not four star but make good use of the 'blue' bag.  I've now begun to store once white but now grey cotton underwear just cruising.  It's worth the inconvenience.

I bring along a small spray bottle of spot removal which I use before sending things to the laundry.

we have enjoyed using the blue bag on our way up the loyalty level's.  In fact,  have a few of my husbands shirts hanging in the wrappers from HAL waiting to go on our next cruise.

It's so worth it = especially for the guys items.  I wash my things in cold water and dry them for 8-10 minutes.  Helps to keep them from fading etc.  

I'm so looking forward to no ironing for hours prior to our upcoming cruise :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 6:37 PM, DaveOKC said:

As to the wine package - we always book it while onboard from the MDR wine steward.  I was told by them that they get some sort of credit for "selling" the package and they seem to appreciate that we waited to buy it from them.  Also, I always get my 50% discount that way.

We will certainly wait to purchase it in order to give them the sales credit.  I know how important that can be to them.

Thank you for the heads up on this

On 3/18/2019 at 9:23 PM, sevenseasnomad said:

Congratulations on achieving this milestone.  Exciting, isn't it?  I rarely send anything to the laundry as I wash most of my clothes on delicate cycle, using a special liquid that preserves the clothes and prevents fading.  But, I do send items to be pressed or steamed.  It's wonderful.  Like others, I don't iron at home.  I wait and send those items out.  Everything, including my formal gowns, have been returned wrinkle-free.  I indicate on the laundry form that I'm 4*, although I doubt if this is necessary.  We were once charged for my husband's shirts and underwear, which we did send to the laundry.  I went to the Front Desk, politely pointed out our 4*, the charge was promptly removed, and HA sent us a bottle of wine.  Not necessary, but appreciated.  My husband enjoyed it, but I rarely drink wine. 

THANK You

I to wash my clothes in cold water and dry them for just a few minutes - then hang to finish drying.  It helps them to last year's longer.  May I ask what you use to preserve your clothing.  I have learned to use a small amount of liquid detergent and white vinegar to set colors and not get a build up of fabric softener it works great to make clothing soft and odor free.  

I am so looking forward to having our clothing pressed as we need it.

On 3/18/2019 at 9:54 PM, DeeniEncinitas said:

Congratulations!

Everyone  has already told you your questions!

I love the benefits as a 4 STAR and on The Eurodam right now enjoying

them! 

Denise😊

Have an AWESOME cruise!!!

The Eurodam is one of our all time favorite ships.  We have sailed her three times now.  Doing a back2back each time.

Yes, we were thrilled to attain our 4 star status on the Veendam in the December of 2017.  We love the Veendam to - the best staff we've EVER experienced at sea.  

13 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

We request two bags, one for regular and one for delicate (indicated on the form).     You have the option of requesting folded or hanging.

Great service!  We've always used it, even when we had to pay.

Another Awesome idea - I didn't know that you could also request them hanging or folded - WONDERFUL

6 hours ago, Moriah said:

I just pulled a yellow tag off a shirt this morning when folding it after doing laundry at home... I always like finding those little reminders of a cruise! 🙂 I agree that the laundry and pressing is the best thing about being a four star mariner.  It makes it possible to pack much lighter, and they do a great job on the laundry.  One thing I've learned, though, if you don't want your jeans or other pants creased, you must write "DO NOT CREASE PANTS" on the form... 🙂 Also, as others have noted, I say "Please wash in cold water."  I use cold water at home on clothing, and I don't want to risk any shrinkage or other damage. Everything always comes back great.  And don't forget to let them know whether you prefer hangers or folded laundry. If you fail to specify, their default will be wire hangars, which, IMO damage clothing... Enjoy your cruise!

Oh if the day would finally come that I could pack light!!!  I was in the travel industry several years ago you'd think that would have been one of my take aways :classic_blush:

We are both bad packer's - hoping that having the laundry and pressing available to us will reform us once and for all :classic_wink:

it's embarrassing always being asked how long of a cruise we are going on - mind you not enough that we didn't keep overpacking.  We can drive to port which doesn't help the cause LOL

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hugger said:

Oh if the day would finally come that I could pack light!!!  I was in the travel industry several years ago you'd think that would have been one of my take aways :classic_blush:

We are both bad packer's - hoping that having the laundry and pressing available to us will reform us once and for all :classic_wink:

it's embarrassing always being asked how long of a cruise we are going on - mind you not enough that we didn't keep overpacking.  We can drive to port which doesn't help the cause LOL

So happy to hear I’m not the only one that over packs!  Whenever we can we’ll drive to a port.  We even drive from California up to Vancouver, Canada  which means I really over pack!  Our upcoming cruise starts in Ft. Lauderdale so that means we’re flying and we’re really going to try and cut out one suitcase this time.  Wish me luck!

We’re going to make 4 star during our upcoming B2B cruise.  By the time we start the second part we will have our fee laundry and the other perks!  We’re so excited!  Our very first cruise was on the Zuiderdam so it’s fitting that we will make 4 * and get to reap the benefits on her as well!  

Utahtea

• Like 1