Staying on in Athens-how to get from Ship

Respbj

We will be on Empires of the Mediterranean, starting in Venice and ending in Athens.  We are then going to stay in Athens an extra 4 nights on our own (Vikings price for 2 nights was way to expensive).  My Question is how is the best was of getting from the port to a central Athens hotel.  I must admit since this trip is next year I have not really started to research this myself. Thanks to any who have done this trip for suggestions.

BJ

11 minutes ago, Respbj said:

We will be on Empires of the Mediterranean, starting in Venice and ending in Athens.  We are then going to stay in Athens an extra 4 nights on our own (Vikings price for 2 nights was way to expensive).  My Question is how is the best was of getting from the port to a central Athens hotel.  I must admit since this trip is next year I have not really started to research this myself. Thanks to any who have done this trip for suggestions.

BJ

We will be doing the same thing this May.  We will be taking the X80 Express bus from the port to downtown.  It stops close to the Acropolis and Syntagma Square among others areas.

See this link: https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2018/05/09/bus-express-x80-piraeus-acropolis-syntagma/

The article is old but it still applies.

Of course, you can always take a taxi.

Stan

We did the cruise from Athens to Venice last year.  We used PK tours for transfers from the airport to our hotel, the next day we had a city tour with a drop off at the pier.  They were fantastic.. I would highly recommend them.

16 hours ago, ebtrip said:

We did the cruise from Athens to Venice last year.  We used PK tours for transfers from the airport to our hotel, the next day we had a city tour with a drop off at the pier.  They were fantastic.. I would highly recommend them.

Ditto! You get private transfers with tours on both ends in a comfortable car with your baggage stored.

It will be a wonderful introduction to Athens.

When we visited Athens / Piraeus in 2016, there were two cruise ship terminals in use, A and B.  We were at Terminal B, and tour buses were available on the pier, just outside the security checkpoint.  Terminal A is a five minute shuttle bus ride, buses were lined up.  Also cabs and private tours.

We were told the free shuttle buses took passengers to Terminal A, where ATMs, Metro trams, local buses, etc would be available. Google maps confirms the light rail / tram terminus is about two blocks from the Terminal A gate

At terminal A, there were several ships docked, the terminal looked full.  I'm guessing Terminal B handles larger ships and overflow.

October 2018 we started a Mediterranean cruise from Athens.  We used Michael’s Amazing Tours for our airport & port transfers and a full day tour of Athens & Cape Sounion.  Fabulous service - highly recommend them.  Check them out on TripAdvisor- small business owner, easy to work with via email.

We did this cruise 2 years ago and used PK Travel https://www.pktravelgreece.com/

for a private all day tour in Athens rather than doing any of the Viking tours.  We were a group of 4 and were able to customize our stops to our liking with a private guide meeting us at the Acropolis.  Everything was excellent and we wouldn’t hesitate to recommend PK Travel.  Husband and I also used PK for pick-up at the ship and transfer to the airport the following day.  

Enjoy your travels,