Favorite part of cruising with NCL?

SailorMan20

Frankly speaking I don’t like Carnival at all. Out of 8 lines we sailed we aren’t planning to repeat them. NCL isn’t overly sophisticated in comparison, but it feels nicer. Ships can have bright decor, but they aren’t gaudy. I also prefer NCL entertainment and ambiance.

Again frankly speaking I prefer RCCL as their ships are built with more thoughts about all ages. All of them have adult solariums, many ships have indoor pools and/or indoor solariums. However we do have nice/fun time on ships of both companies so continue to sail with both. Next week we sail on Gem.

We only sailed on one large NCL ship Breakaway so maybe it’s not fair to judge, she did have own strong points, but we prefer 90k tons ships of NCL due to better design. On 90k you can walk on Promenade Deck (#7) and hear live music in many places... you have more adequate pool deck space. 

We liked a lot Jewel, Gem, Dawn, Star . Spirit is one cute ship too. 🙂

Edited by Tatka

• The Haven - The ability to enjoy big ship fun along with a more luxurious oasis (pun) away from the crowds.
  • Freestyle dining - Eat when I want, where I want, and with whom I want...while still wearing what I want.
  • Fun without being outrageous/obnoxious.

If RCCL had a Haven on their great ships (Oasis and Quantum classes) and their future ships (Quantum Ultra and Icon), they would take some of my money away from NCL. Instead, MSC and their Yacht Club (Seaside, Meraviglia, EVO, World Class) have/will have a 50/50 split from us vs. NCL.

It is hard to say what is my favorite NCL ship, but I guess it is between the Dawn, Sun and maybe the Breakaway for different reasons. I am not a mega ship fan, but did find lots of positives with the Breakaway.  We sale NCL for a couple of reasons: to be honest our first reason is perks for being loyal NCL passengers (about 23 now) We also love the dinin choices and last but certainly not least: we are share holders so love the additional  OBC. Oh and I did forget to mention, which is what kept us coming back to NCL for so many years the wonderful and friendly crew. 

42 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

It is hard to say what is my favorite NCL ship, but I guess it is between the Dawn, Sun and maybe the Breakaway for different reasons. I am not a mega ship fan, but did find lots of positives with the Breakaway.  We sale NCL for a couple of reasons: to be honest our first reason is perks for being loyal NCL passengers (about 23 now) We also love the dinin choices and last but certainly not least: we are share holders so love the additional  OBC. Oh and I did forget to mention, which is what kept us coming back to NCL for so many years the wonderful and friendly crew. 

Hey a fellow Arkansan.

23 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

yep, and there are a few of us who don't marry our cousins and we can afford to cruise fro time to time. We even drink booze that is not home grown. :classic_biggrin:

Hey now. I did not marry My cousin. lol. I married a California Girl.Well now She is a Arkansas Girl.

2 hours ago, SailorMan20 said:

Hey now. I did not marry My cousin. lol. I married a California Girl.Well now She is a Arkansas Girl.

well heck, hubby and I are both California and now AR is our forever home. Even our grandkids consider AR their forever home. 

15 hours ago, SailorMan20 said:

What's Your favorite part of cruising with Norwegian over Carnival or Royal Caribbean? Also what's Your favorite ship in Norwegian current lineup?

I've only sailed Royal and NCL.  Both have plusses and minuses for sure.  But on NCL, I love O'Sheehans (or The Local).  Yes, I can get a terrible, tiny sandwich anytime at a Cafe Promenade...but a hot, sit-down appetizer at 2am is only on NCL.  Also, we love The Great Outdoors on those ships that have them.

We've only sailed the Jade, Jewel & Breakaway.  Had a great time on all...but I had some design issues with the Breakaway.  The use of the Atrium for all those gameshows on a ship that big is just ridiculous.  And the main theater is too small and not nearly as nice as the theaters on their smaller ships.  The layout of Jade/Jewel is our favorite of the smaller ships we've sailed, so one of those is our favorite.  (Again, LOVE The Great Outdoors.  When the weather is nice in the evening, it's the best spot to be.)

We loved the crew on the Gem both times out of NYC. But the Dawn ran a close second for crew, a few not so much must have had a bad day. Food well not a fan but plenty to choose from so if you go hungry shame on you. Plus for us is home port period (though my husband would say no suit & tie :)) We also travel with Princess and it is apples & oranges. Have been on Carnival twice with our sons when they were younger and the food was far better back then and surpassed both other lines. Sorry Princess you have been slipping and NCL well you never had it to slip :). With a few tiny exceptions.

Bottom line is crew, crew, crew they really make our vacation special on NCL.

I've only sailed with NCL so far, so I really can't compare it to other lines. I will be sailing on MSC for the first time in September, though.

As for the things I love about NCL:

• drink package
  • dining options and freestyle dining
  • District Brew House on the Breakaway Plus class ships
  • Waterfront on the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus class ships
  • free room services continental breakfast while sitting on my balcony in the morning
  • being able to wear jeans and a t-shirt most of the time without feeling under-dressed

So far I have sailed on the Escape, Gem, and Bliss. I am back on the Escape in under three weeks. While I enjoyed the Observation Lounge on the Bliss, I still think the Escape is my favorite so far. Will be on the Encore in December so we'll see how it compares.

• Like 1

I like NCL because it is familiar to us as we are Platinum. That said we wouldn't be platinum if

there weren't other things we liked. Mostly the freestyle cruising and the friendly crew. The officers

are visible around the ship too. Their website is so much more user friendly than the other lines

we have sailed too.

Like many others have said, the Freestyle Dinning is what sets NCL apart for me.  I really like Jewel.  We sailed on the Jewell to Alaska out of Seattle a few years ago and are doing a 1 way southbound Alaska cruise out of Seward in July.  Alaska is my favorite destination and I think that Jewell is the perfect ship for that.

17 hours ago, SailorMan20 said:

What's Your favorite part of cruising with Norwegian over Carnival or Royal Caribbean? Also what's Your favorite ship in Norwegian current lineup?

The chicken wings in the pub. The comedy shows. White hot party.

The entertainment provided by fellow passengers with drinks package. Usually first day the best. Falling off bar stools.

The drinks package is not free but an added cost for room and tips. 

We have enjoyed several Ncl ships over the years and will again soon.

But RCL has been our preferred cruise line for a while. We used to love Celebrity but last 14 night too many old people.  Enjoyed Princess and Carnival when we were younger.

One Holland America and will return for our golden years.