take wine on board princess.. is port wine ???

Hi All,

I know it sound like a silly question..... we mainly cruise princess.. on our last cruise  thought a glass of port with a little cheese would be nice to end the evening..

Well Port on princess is only at a couple of bars... and rather dear  $20 per glass......

So is Port a wine or a spirit in the eyes on Princess.....   on cruises out of Australia

or like so many things it varies ship to ship... or crew to crew ???

And in the big picture one can buy a  port for $20 a bottle, do I just put it in the case and see ??

and I was also thinking about a small knife ( under 2inches ) to cut up fruit...

Cheers Don

or

So far as I'm concerned, and officially,  Port is wine, even though it is fortified with a distilled grape spirit up to around 18% alcohol. The name comes from the town of origin Oporto.

Edited by Russell21

You are supposed to carry on your bottles of wine, not have them in your checked luggage. I understand from something that was said in the past, that Port is regarded the same as spirits. I don't agree. It is fortified wine, but it is not up to us to categorise it. I feel that your bottle would have less scrutiny if you had that bottle, and only one, in your carry on luggage.

Yep, I agree with Mick. Port is wine and you can take it on as your "1 bottle of wine may be aboard at embarkation". 

And I too enjoy a nice glass of port before bed. Many a night sitting out on the balcony enjoying a glass of port and some nice chocolate under a starry starry night......just bliss!!! 

7 minutes ago, Fletch1 said:

Yep, I agree with Mick. Port is wine and you can take it on as your "1 bottle of wine may be aboard at embarkation". 

And I too enjoy a nice glass of port before bed. Many a night sitting out on the balcony enjoying a glass of port and some nice chocolate under a starry starry night......just bliss!!! 

Sounds very good, I usually only bring two types of food onto a ship for a cruise. 

One is good quality Dark chocolate, the other is some savoury type snacks like chips or chicarone (pork scratchings).

I am glad a couple of you have had no difficulty taking port on as your 'bottle of wine'. Someone a year or two ago was refused on the grounds that it was not wine. It might depend who you get on embarkation. We had a bottle of Pisco Sour in South America and were initially refused. After a long discussion where we kept calling it "local wine", we were allowed to keep it.

LOL, I suppose the big difference is taking stuff on at embarkation as opposed to in one of the ports, as they have different policies, let alone enforcement of the policy.. As for the Pisco, now that was stretching it a bit to call it wine but it is definitely a local product.

Thanks All

So for next cruise will but a bottle of port in our carry  on and see what happens

Any port in a storm is a good one.... particularly not have to carry two glasses from vine up three decks and all the way the way aft....   ( did not spill a drop )

Cheers Don

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

So for next cruise will but a bottle of port in our carry  on and see what happens

Any port in a storm is a good one.... particularly not have to carry two glasses from vine up three decks and all the way the way aft....   ( did not spill a drop )

Cheers Don

Probably there would be none left in the glasses by the time you got there. :classic_wink: