Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
hmmerr01

Voom packages- share?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, carmenOH said:

So if I have the basic Voom package all I need to do when I get on the ship is turn off my cellular and turn on my Wi-Fi calling and then I can make and receive phone calls and send and receive text messages?

...as long as you have your phone set to WIFI calling (recommend turning that on ahead of time). iPhones and Android phones both have this feature in their settings menu.

 

Note: Most carriers support this feature, so the best place to check is on your carrier's website.

 

This is the Verizon setup process.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/wifi-calling-faqs/

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

 

Correct, as long as your phone, carrier, and software version support WiFi calling.

 Excellent. Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, carmenOH said:

So if I have the basic Voom package all I need to do when I get on the ship is turn off my cellular and turn on my Wi-Fi calling and then I can make and receive phone calls and send and receive text messages?

Yes - set up wifi calling at home then when you get on the ship put your phone in airplane mode and turn on wifi and connect to Voom. That's all there is to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jean-lynd said:

Yes - set up wifi calling at home then when you get on the ship put your phone in airplane mode and turn on wifi and connect to Voom. That's all there is to it.

Agreed, if I ever try to set it up when needing it I get nowhere!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, carmenOH said:

So if I have the basic Voom package all I need to do when I get on the ship is turn off my cellular and turn on my Wi-Fi calling and then I can make and receive phone calls and send and receive text messages?

 

14 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Correct, as long as your phone, carrier, and software version support WiFi calling.


Has anyone done voice calls on Basic Voom with consistent success?

I'd feel much more confident in VOIP calls using Voom Surf and Stream instead of Basic Surf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, brillohead said:

Has anyone done voice calls on Basic Voom with consistent success?

I'd feel much more confident in VOIP calls using Voom Surf and Stream instead of Basic Surf. 

If you want consistency, look for a ship with O3B, that's more important than the VOOM tier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, brillohead said:

 


Has anyone done voice calls on Basic Voom with consistent success?

I'd feel much more confident in VOIP calls using Voom Surf and Stream instead of Basic Surf. 

Used both Voom and Voom Surf & Stream.

 

Fundamentally...Surf & Stream takes the guess work out of working well with VOIP calls, as well as VPN connections. It's even a greater performance difference on ships with the latest 03b satellite internet service...but you'd notice a difference on any ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2019 at 6:15 AM, carmenOH said:

 Excellent. Thank you 

Also, we always double check that our data is off, because we are paranoid 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Celebrity Edge in Europe Sweepstakes
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...