Schwerin and its Fairy-tale Castle excursions

I have visited Schwerin Castle but not via NCL. The castle setting is gorgeous! From Warnemunde, it takes about an hour to reach the castle by car - a little longer via train as you must change trains in Rostock.

Edited by dogs4fun

As the pp noted, it's not difficult to reach Schwerin by train, which would allow you to explore the town, castle, and gardens at your leisure. The NCL tour isn't outrageously priced (especially if you're using a port credit), but if it's anything like the one I was on, you may feel herded. And I would have preferred to spend more time in the gardens. There is an audio guide available for the castle itself, btw.

Do consider, though, just how many castles and palaces you'll be seeing on your cruise! Some of the delights of Schwerin were somewhat lost on us, wedged in between Copenhagen and St. Petersburg ports as it was.

We took the train - a straight shot from Rostock.  We got off at a couple of other stops along the way which looked interesting, and then boarded the next train that came along when we were ready to leave.  It is an easy walk from the train station to the castle in Schwerin.

Most of the independent St. Petersburg tour companies offer a tour of Schwerin (including a guided tour of the castle). You will realize a multiple booking discount by bundling tours with Alla Tours, Best Guides, Tj tours, Ulko, Spb and such.

However, you if you are the least bit adventurous, it is absolutely simple to DIY with the train. You can rent the audio guide at the castle & save yourself a heap of money. IMHO, a guided tour is really not necessary.

Edited by dogs4fun

If you are visiting on a Monday, the castle is closed to the public and the only way to see it is via a NCL excursion.  I will be there on a Monday and have signed up for NCL's tour.