Legend-ary Alaska Planning and Trip Report

Mediterranean_Honeymooner

4 hours ago, surfpa said:

Yay!  Good job with getting the deals. 

Please tell me the name of your hotels in Seattle and Vancouver.  We go on Golden Princess the end of May and want to spend a few extra days in these cities.  I do use Hotwire but wondered what properties you got. And we wondered if they were close to the light train service to the airports.

The other question we have to answer is transportation from Vancouver to Seattle.  We want to do the train but the train only offers Amtrak buses at certain times.

We look forward to the cruise but are not quite use to the cold. I have lots more research to do to start packing.

Thanks! Look forward to your response.

surfpa, might I make a suggestion to check out. We are renting from Enterprise in Vancouver for 127.78CAD. Picking up at Vancouver International offsite after riding a shuttle provided by ship after docking to airport for 21.99/pp. Then free Enterprise shuttle to offsite a few miles from airport. Drive to Seattle, drop rent car at airport, stay Hilton airport overnight, take 12:00pm flight to Houston. Renting a car allows us some free time to sight see on trip to Seattle. This plan actually allowed us to save a very small amount of coin by not having to upgrade to passport book, flight from Vancouver (possibly in a rush to catch plane) or stay Vancouver overnight which would not be a bad thing if we wanted to extend our vacation.

• 3 weeks later...

Excursions (part 2)

After choosing our Juneau excursion, I start focusing on Skagway next.  I had read so many great things about the White Pass Railroad that I started looking into it first.  The more I read, the more I wanted to take the train to Carcross.

But then I hit a snag.  We are traveling so early in the year that the train to Carcross isn’t running yet. After some research I found that the train does run to Fraser, but that’s as far as it travels at the beginning of May. I considered taking the train to Fraser and back, but we were really hoping to get further into the Yukon to see Carcross and Emerald Lake.  So back to the drawing board. 

I found an excursion through Carnival where a motor coach would meet the train in Fraser and take you the rest of the way to Emerald Lake and back.  This checked off my train/Carcross/Emerald Lake requirements, so it became the front runner.  But I wasn’t in love with it.  Reviews on the website all said the exact same thing...that the train ride was great, but the bus ride was unbearably long and boring.

I kept reading people’s reviews here on CC, and I kept hearing positive things about Dyea Dave Tours.  So I read their website and it sounded very interesting.  Similar to what Carnival was offering, but instead of people describing the bus portion as tediously boring, people here on CC described Dyea Dave’s guided tours as being exciting.  It seemed people felt that the bus portion of Dyea Dave Tours was actually an exciting part of the day instead of just transportation from point A to point B.

I was sold, but there were still a couple things to work out. First, I didn’t know if Dyea Dave Tours even operates that early in the season. Second, the Dyea Dave website said the bus tour was first and you would take the train southbound at the end. But there were no southbound trains at the right time to make that work.  Fortunately, an email to Dyea Dave cleared up both points. Yes, they were operating and could reverse the tour!  So now we are booked on the first northbound train to Fraser, and Dyea Dave Tours will pick us up from there.  We will go to Carcross, have lunch, see sled dog puppies, and view Emerald Lake before heading back to Skagway (with plenty of stops along the way for sightseeing and any wildlife spotting). And it was less than the Carnival tour (even with my 10% Carnival card discount)!

Two down...one to go!

Edited by Mediterranean_Honeymooner

Enjoying this!  Seven years ago we did a r/t out of Seattle and used Chilkoot in Skagway.  Similar to Dyea Dave tours.  You will enjoy that port, especially early in the season the mountains will be pretty with snow caps.

3 minutes ago, dickinson said:

Enjoying this!  Seven years ago we did a r/t out of Seattle and used Chilkoot in Skagway.  Similar to Dyea Dave tours.  You will enjoy that port, especially early in the season the mountains will be pretty with snow caps.

I have read good things about Chilkoot as well!  I’m very excited about this excursion, and hoping to see some snow caps, especially since we got no snow at home this winter. 😪

Skagway is the one port where you can really get into the interior...I know it's not just Alaska, you cross over into Canada but still...I think it's great to get away from the coast and seen the spectacular landscape. I would think you would definitely see some snow...especially looking at higher elevations. I think all the reviews I've read of Dyea Dave have been positive too. Looking forward to reading about your day!

On 4/14/2019 at 8:59 PM, Mediterranean_Honeymooner said:

Excursions (part 2)

<snip>  The more I read, the more I wanted to take the train to Carcross.

But then I hit a snag.  We are traveling so early in the year that the train to Carcross isn’t running yet. After some research I found that the train does run to Fraser, but that’s as far as it travels at the beginning of May. I considered taking the train to Fraser and back, but we were really hoping to get further into the Yukon to see Carcross and Emerald Lake.  So back to the drawing board.

<snip>

Two down...one to go!

When we were looking into the full Bennett Lake journey, we discovered that they did not do the full tour on Sunday and Monday. Our cruise put us there on Memorial Day. We were very disappointed. At first we gave up on the train and reserved a jeep for the full day at 1/2 the cost. We then found Dyea Dave and booked the one way from Fraser after his van tour into Carcross/Emerald Lake. I was so excited to have several conversations with Dave as well as emails from Kathy. They seem to be a great team. He mentioned that because of all the change in the area, he waits til the beginning of the season to recommend an eatery. It was also good to learn that they go to Tagish Lake Kennels to see the puppies and learn all about the Iditarod. Apparently the owners are in it every year. We are getting very excited and I'm really enjoying your report.

On 4/16/2019 at 8:39 AM, Anita Latte said:

Skagway is the one port where you can really get into the interior...I know it's not just Alaska, you cross over into Canada but still...I think it's great to get away from the coast and seen the spectacular landscape. I would think you would definitely see some snow...especially looking at higher elevations. I think all the reviews I've read of Dyea Dave have been positive too. Looking forward to reading about your day!

That is one reason we are so excited about it!  Definitely looking forward to an inland tour.  Would have loved to take several days before or after they cruise to explore lore of Alaska, but we can’t leave the kids that long, nor do we have that much time off.

22 hours ago, kimberlydrzymala said:

Thanks for sharing this. I am also going to follow along on your journey. Our trip is planned for late August and we also read Anita's post from start to finish. 

Thanks for reading along!

1 hour ago, azdmelani said:

I'm enjoying reading your trip progression especially when we travel a few weeks after you! 

Thank you! I hope I can give some helpful hints!

44 minutes ago, masterdrago said:

When we were looking into the full Bennett Lake journey, we discovered that they did not do the full tour on Sunday and Monday. Our cruise put us there on Memorial Day. We were very disappointed. At first we gave up on the train and reserved a jeep for the full day at 1/2 the cost. We then found Dyea Dave and booked the one way from Fraser after his van tour into Carcross/Emerald Lake. I was so excited to have several conversations with Dave as well as emails from Kathy. They seem to be a great team. He mentioned that because of all the change in the area, he waits til the beginning of the season to recommend an eatery. It was also good to learn that they go to Tagish Lake Kennels to see the puppies and learn all about the Iditarod. Apparently the owners are in it every year. We are getting very excited and I'm really enjoying your report.

I’ll be sure to let you know what I think of our tour!  We also looked at renting a car, but I really had my heart set on the train, so I’m glad we got it worked out.  I’m also very excited to learn about the Iditarod and see the puppies!

Excursions (part 3)

So with Juneau and Skagway decided, that just left Glacier Bay and Ketchikan on our itinerary.  There are no excursions for Glacier Bay, so our only plan is go to a forward public deck in the morning to watch the sail in, then back to our balcony room midday.  Maybe enjoy some room service while sitting on the balcony watching glaciers. ❤️

Ketchikan was the last and most difficult port for us to decide on.  After we decided Juneau and Skagway, we started looking at excursions available for Ketchikan. My parents had done the “Deadliest Catch” crab boat and really loved it, but it just wasn’t calling out to me.  I’ve had a couple opportunities to go out in fishing boats where I’ve watched them do dragging and pull up cages, so it just didn’t draw my fancy.  The zip lining seemed really fun, but same problem - I’ve been ziplining before several times. And while the scenery is beautiful, it didn’t seem uniquely Alaskan.  There are some great bear viewing excursions that I might have been interested in, but we are going too early in the year. 

We are interested in totem poles, so we want to make it a point to see some, but don’t really want to spend the whole day doing that.  Plus I didn’t want to spend $120 for Carnival’s totem pole tour when I could use public transportation to get out there for $10.  Everyone says the lumberjack show is really fun, but with it being centrally located, there was no reason to book ship transportation to it. So our working plan became beginning our day with a walking tour of Ketchikan.  We found this walking tour - https://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/ketchikan_maps_downtown.pdf.  It seems really interesting and includes totem poles, so it fits the bill.  Then we would finish out the day with shopping and the lumberjack show. And that was our plan for months.  Up until last week, actually. I liked our Ketchikan plan, but I didn’t LOVE it.  I wasn’t excited about it like I was the other ports.  So it just kind of stayed there at the back of my mind. I kept reading trip reports and travel guides and a similar theme kept jumping out...that to get a true taste of Alaska, you should see it by air.  So I started looking at options.  And when I found flightseeing in Ketchikan over the Misty Fjords, I fell in love.  So despite the high cost (at $219 per person, it is the most expensive of our excursions for a 90 minute tour 😱), we went ahead and booked it.  We are super excited and now our Ketchikan day looks like this: get off the boat early, sightsee and shop until it’s time for our flightseeing at 10.   Then lunch after our tour - I have my eye on Alaskan Fish House from the reviews here on CC.  Then on to our walking tour. May still do the lumberjack show if there is time, but I doubt there will be. (But will definitely keep it on the list for if we return to Alaska with the kids.) 

So our excursion line up is as follows:

Seattle - Pikes Place Market, Space Needle on our own

Vancouver - private guided tour of Vancouver with transport to the ship through Viator ($151 for 2)

Juneau - whale watch, Mendenhall Glacier, and Tracy’s Crab Shack with Juneau Whale Watch ($338 for 2)

Skagway - take the earliest train to Fraser with WPYR, then will be met by our tour guide from Dyea Dave for a guided tour up to Carcross and Enerald Lake and back ($358 for 2 - $180 for train, $178 for Dyea Dave)

Glacier Bay - scenic viewing

Ketchikan - flightseeing tour over Misty Fjords with Carlin Air, walking tour through Ketchikan ($438 for 2)

So all told, we are sitting right around $3000 for all transportation, hotel, excursions, and the cruise itself. Now we just have to finish packing.  We fly out a week from today!!!

• Thanks 1

I think your plans sound fantastic! The flight seeing tour at the last port is really like an exclamation point at the end of the trip. You will have seen as much of Alaska from the ground as you can...the day before, seeing the glaciers...and then finally, you get above everything and while it can be amazing at any time, I'm sure, to get above and see Alaska from the sky...I believe that flight seeing toward the end is even more amazing because you have more context for the scenery. Our helicopter tour wasn't even an hour and that was a major splurge, but it is SUCH a high point...those are significant minutes in the grand scheme of things.

Also...to put into perspective. I don't recall the real data but there is something about 90-2 hours max for museum viewing before you get overloaded by all the visual stimulation. So your flight seeing is timed just right. Those memories will be sharp and will last with you for a long time.

I responded to that other thread about Ketchikan food and shops...and I did recommend the Alaska Fish House over there. It's a small venue. The line was long when we were there...and with the wet weather, the outside seating wasn't being used...so everyone was sitting inside. It's communal seating...meaning that you just find a spot on the open oversized picnic tables and you end up sitting with whoever else is there. You read my report...we had fun conversation there talking with other cruise passengers. So just a little reminder about that place...don't be turned off by the crowd, if there is one.

We are less than a month from flight out!! Just getting very excited and thanks to DW, I'm not having to fret too much about packing. I do get nervous at times because she takes so much extra, IMO. Thank you so much for that PDF walking tour in Ketchikan. We also have a flightseeing tour over Misty Fjords National Monument at midday. With no other excursions planned inside the 9a-6p time frame, I was looking for other things to do and it looked like Ketchikan would be one of the better places to hoof-it. I've been looking through a book on Totems - "The Wolf and the Raven" to pump up my zero knowledge. I also remember marking the Alaskan Fish House on a notepad with good reviews on TripAdviser. I'm so enjoying your notes on planning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mediterranean_Honeymooner said:

I kept reading trip reports and travel guides and a similar theme kept jumping out...that to get a true taste of Alaska, you should see it by air.  So I started looking at options.  And when I found flightseeing in Ketchikan over the Misty Fjords, I fell in love.  So despite the high cost (at $219 per person, it is the most expensive of our excursions for a 90 minute tour 😱), we went ahead and booked it.  We are super excited and now our Ketchikan day looks like this: get off the boat early, sightsee and shop until it’s time for our flightseeing at 10.

My wife and I are now seriously considering a flightseeing tour of Glacier Bay while our ship is in Icy Straight Point.  The cost is expensive ($399 pp) but...  How often is a chance like that going to come up?  I'm sure we will visit Alaska again and (maybe) a future cruise will include Glacier Bay but you just never know what the future holds.

3 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I think your plans sound fantastic! The flight seeing tour at the last port is really like an exclamation point at the end of the trip. You will have seen as much of Alaska from the ground as you can...the day before, seeing the glaciers...and then finally, you get above everything and while it can be amazing at any time, I'm sure, to get above and see Alaska from the sky...I believe that flight seeing toward the end is even more amazing because you have more context for the scenery. Our helicopter tour wasn't even an hour and that was a major splurge, but it is SUCH a high point...those are significant minutes in the grand scheme of things.

Also...to put into perspective. I don't recall the real data but there is something about 90-2 hours max for museum viewing before you get overloaded by all the visual stimulation. So your flight seeing is timed just right. Those memories will be sharp and will last with you for a long time.

I responded to that other thread about Ketchikan food and shops...and I did recommend the Alaska Fish House over there. It's a small venue. The line was long when we were there...and with the wet weather, the outside seating wasn't being used...so everyone was sitting inside. It's communal seating...meaning that you just find a spot on the open oversized picnic tables and you end up sitting with whoever else is there. You read my report...we had fun conversation there talking with other cruise passengers. So just a little reminder about that place...don't be turned off by the crowd, if there is one.

Thanks!  I appreciate the suggestion for Alaska Fish House.  It sounds really good.  And we aren’t turned off by communal seating - Biergarten at Disney is one of our favorites!  And I agree about ending on a “high point”.  That was one reason I wasn’t satisfied with the plans we had in Ketchikan.  It just seemed kind of “vanilla” for our last day in Alaska after our big, exciting plans on our other days.

3 hours ago, masterdrago said:

We are less than a month from flight out!! Just getting very excited and thanks to DW, I'm not having to fret too much about packing. I do get nervous at times because she takes so much extra, IMO. Thank you so much for that PDF walking tour in Ketchikan. We also have a flightseeing tour over Misty Fjords National Monument at midday. With no other excursions planned inside the 9a-6p time frame, I was looking for other things to do and it looked like Ketchikan would be one of the better places to hoof-it. I've been looking through a book on Totems - "The Wolf and the Raven" to pump up my zero knowledge. I also remember marking the Alaskan Fish House on a notepad with good reviews on TripAdviser. I'm so enjoying your notes on planning.

Thank you!  Someone had posted the Ketchikan walking tour and I was excited about it.  I like that it even includes walking times.  A great way to experience the city. 

2 hours ago, Gimpy McFarlan said:

My wife and I are now seriously considering a flightseeing tour of Glacier Bay while our ship is in Icy Straight Point.  The cost is expensive ($399 pp) but...  How often is a chance like that going to come up?  I'm sure we will visit Alaska again and (maybe) a future cruise will include Glacier Bay but you just never know what the future holds.

Exactly!  I didn’t want to skip any musts.  I’m certainly hoping we will return to Alaska with the kids when they are a little older, but you just never know. 

We had been trying to find a good flight around and over Prince William Sound but have gotten some excuses from some of the vendors that advertise those. Since we are doing a full day small boat trip in Prince William Sound, we thought we could squeeze a flight in to see it from the air. Such a different perspective it must be.

Enjoying the planning portion of your review!

We leave for Vancouver June 10th, board the Coral Princess on the 12th for a northbound voyage of the glaciers with the same stops you have, and then continuing on to the Connoisseur Land Tour up through Denali, finally ending in Fairbanks on June 25th.  This is our 25th anniversary trip and I’ve been planning it for a year and a half. Hard to believe it’s finally only 50 days away!

We picked Jayleen’s for our whale watch in Juneau, Island Wings for the flightseeing in Ketchikan, and Chilkoot Charters for the full Bennett Lake trip in Skagway. I could not be more excited and look forward to hearing how your trip goes!!

Hope you have a fantastic journey!

3 hours ago, ErLee said:

Enjoying the planning portion of your review!

We leave for Vancouver June 10th, board the Coral Princess on the 12th for a northbound voyage of the glaciers with the same stops you have, and then continuing on to the Connoisseur Land Tour up through Denali, finally ending in Fairbanks on June 25th.  This is our 25th anniversary trip and I’ve been planning it for a year and a half. Hard to believe it’s finally only 50 days away!

We picked Jayleen’s for our whale watch in Juneau, Island Wings for the flightseeing in Ketchikan, and Chilkoot Charters for the full Bennett Lake trip in Skagway. I could not be more excited and look forward to hearing how your trip goes!!

Hope you have a fantastic journey!

Happy anniversary!  Glad to have you reading along.  Funny that we have almost the exact same excursions, but no overlap on companies. 😂. I will definitely share what I think of the excursions.

Following along on your adventure! Your story sounds very similar to mine! Myself, 36 and husband 39 got married in 2008 and went on a Mediterranean Cruise/Europe tour for our honeymoon. We also have 2 children in private school and a 15 year old chihuahua in ailing health. We decided on an Alaska cruise without children for our 10 year wedding anniversary which was last summer however I wasn't ready to be away from our children for that long yet so we are booked for May 2020 and I am so excited!

I hope you two have an AMAZING trip!

Edited by akolasz

1 hour ago, akolasz said:

Following along on your adventure! Your story sounds very similar to mine! Myself, 36 and husband 39 got married in 2008 and went on a Mediterranean Cruise/Europe tour for our honeymoon. We also have 2 children and a 15 year old chihuahua in ailing health. We decided on an Alaska cruise without children for our 10 year wedding anniversary which was last summer however I wasn't ready to be away from our children for that long yet so we are booked for May 2020 and I am so excited!

I hope you two have an AMAZING trip!

Wow!  That’s so many similarities it’s kind of crazy.  I will be sure to let you know how it goes. 

On 4/14/2019 at 7:59 PM, Mediterranean_Honeymooner said:

Excursions (part 2)

After choosing our Juneau excursion, I start focusing on Skagway next.  I had read so many great things about the White Pass Railroad that I started looking into it first.  The more I read, the more I wanted to take the train to Carcross.

I found an excursion through Carnival where a motor coach would meet the train in Fraser and take you the rest of the way to Emerald Lake and back.  This checked off my train/Carcross/Emerald Lake requirements, so it became the front runner.  But I wasn’t in love with it.  Reviews on the website all said the exact same thing...that the train ride was great, but the bus ride was unbearably long and boring.

I kept reading people’s reviews here on CC, and I kept hearing positive things about Dyea Dave Tours.  So I read their website and it sounded very interesting.  Similar to what Carnival was offering, but instead of people describing the bus portion as tediously boring, people here on CC described Dyea Dave’s guided tours as being exciting.  It seemed people felt that the bus portion of Dyea Dave Tours was actually an exciting part of the day instead of just transportation from point A to point B.

I was sold, but there were still a couple things to work out. First, I didn’t know if Dyea Dave Tours even operates that early in the season. Second, the Dyea Dave website said the bus tour was first and you would take the train southbound at the end. But there were no southbound trains at the right time to make that work.  Fortunately, an email to Dyea Dave cleared up both points. Yes, they were operating and could reverse the tour!  So now we are booked on the first northbound train to Fraser, and Dyea Dave Tours will pick us up from there.  We will go to Carcross, have lunch, see sled dog puppies, and view Emerald Lake before heading back to Skagway (with plenty of stops along the way for sightseeing and any wildlife spotting). And it was less than the Carnival tour (even with my 10% Carnival card discount)!

Two down...one to go!

We went with Dyea Dave 2 years ago in May at it was wonderful.  We had amazing weather and a fabulous day.

We leave tomorrow. 😱. Tomorrow.  I’m so excited and nervous.  So to keep my nervous energy at bay, I thought I’d share my packing list.  I thought it might help others with their packing.  So here goes:

Passports - pretty important 

Binoculars - for wildlife viewing (my parents were kind enough to loan us theirs)

Coat - I am packing a 2 layer coat with a warm inner layer and a weatherproof outer layer.  You can use the layers together or separately.

Fleece jacket - in addition to the large coat, I’m taking a smaller fleece for when it’s not as chilly

Shoes - I am bringing sneakers, dress shoes and boots that I Scotchguarded for wet weather 

Camera things - I am bring my DSLR (Canon) - I have also purchased a zoom lens that I will be bringing, along with a polarizing lens, 2 extra batteries, a charger, 2 extra memory cards, hood, and tripod

Selfie stick - I have never used one (am not a big fan) but since it will just be the two of us I thought it might be a good purchase to have some pictures of us together 

Cold weather gear - long underwear, winter hats, gloves, scarves - hot hands for gloves and shoes

Wet weather gear - ponchos, small umbrellas, rain pants, baseball caps, waterproof pouch for cell phone, rain sleeve for camera

Bras, undies, socks - including wool socks to layer over regular socks

Power strip - cruise rooms are notorious for lack of outlets

Pop up hamper for dirty clothes

Suction cup hooks - to hang in the bathroom for wet/dirty clothes

Magnet hooks - to hang up paperwork/lanyards/etc.

Towel clips - to keep towels from flying off the chairs when it’s windy

Small corkscrew for our in-cabin wine

Clothespins - to keep the curtains closed (lots of hours of daylight in Alaska)

Sleep mask - see above

Polarized sunglasses

Single Tide packets to do laundry

Clorox wipes to wipe down the room/travel size Lysol

Hand sanitizer

Extra ziploc bags

Nightlight

Earplugs

A whole pharmacy’s worth of meds (better safe than sorry) - I have pain relievers, antibiotics, Dramamine, Zofran, anti-diarrheal, acid reducer, sleep aid, cough drops, chapstick...I may be forgetting something 😂

Basic toiletries 

Travel size bug spray - I’ve read it can get buggy in some of the wooded areas

Phone charger and extra portable charger

Jewelry for formal night

Formal dresses x 2

Small clutch for formal night

PJs

Pants - jeans and leggings 

Shirts - mostly long sleeved and sweaters, with a few short-sleeved

A few snacks for the plane, etc. 

Tervis cups with silicone straws and Dawn to rinse out 

Small canvas drawer (from Dollar Tree) - helps organize small things in the room)

Lanyards for sail and sign cards

Postcards and small items for our postcard exchange

Books to read

Paperwork - confirmations, tickets 

Cash for tips

Carnival gift cards

I think that covers it!  Ready for tomorrow!

• Like 1