Regal Princess balcony

ashhill

We are thinking of booking a cruise on Regal Princess out of New York in October this year ending in Fort lauderdale. 

We have always sailed on grand class ships in a mini suite balcony. Have read somewhere that the balconies on Regal are much smaller than the grand class ships  and that the balconies are larger on the extended area. Does anyone have any pictures of these balconies and the stateroom numbers to match?

Thanks for any replies 

I don't have a picture, but I can tell you the balcony for our mini suite Riviera 326 on Regal was tiny.  We had 4 mini suites in a row and had them open the doors so we could walk across the balconies to each others rooms, but it was really difficult to do so.  The chairs and tables take up most of the balcony with almost no room for walking.  

My husband and I have stayed in one of those balconies on that very cruise.  They are a good size and the only obstruction is while looking down you see the promenade deck and sometimes people are sitting in the chairs out there or walking by.  We really liked it.

We were in mini-suite B414 in January.  Very nice cabin with an extended balcony.  It is a Club Class mini, though.  When I originally booked the cabin it wasn’t a CC.  It was reclassified and turned out to be a free upgrade for us.  

52 minutes ago, ashhill said:

We are thinking of booking a cruise on Regal Princess out of New York in October this year ending in Fort lauderdale. 

We have always sailed on grand class ships in a mini suite balcony. Have read somewhere that the balconies on Regal are much smaller than the grand class ships  and that the balconies are larger on the extended area. Does anyone have any pictures of these balconies and the stateroom numbers to match?

Thanks for any replies 

Approx 4' X 8'.

That photo is NOT typical of the majority of balconies on the Regal/Royal/Majestic etc.

• Like 1

DW & I usually book mini suites when we sail.  In addition to the postage stamp sized balcony on Regal's minisuites you may find the redesign of the minisuite on the Regal to be a disappointment.  The "hourglass" design of the minis on older ships gave a feel of two separate rooms and we really enjoy the couch and coffee table.  Now, the minis have straight walls and a curtain separating the sitting area from the sleeping area.  The biggest disappointment was the very small balcony.  It felt cramped.  The problem we had with the minis with the larger balconies on the bump outs was that they lack privacy.  They are under the glass bottom Sea Walk and people can (and do) look straight down into the balconies below.

We found an alternative to the minisuite if you are interested: the Deluxe Balcony Cabin.  The main difference between the minisuite and the deluxe balcony is that the mini has a full bathtub where the deluxe has a shower stall instead.  There is a 2 person couch in the deluxe rather than a 3 person couch in the mini.  The drawback is the meager balcony size.  (Same size as the minisuite.)  What makes the deluxe a better fit for us is that the deluxe has everything we wanted in a cabin but it is less costly than the minisuite which again, is a disappointment to us anyway.

That's my two cents - I hope it gives you an alternative.

3 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

We found an alternative to the minisuite if you are interested: the Deluxe Balcony Cabin.  The main difference between the minisuite and the deluxe balcony is that the mini has a full bathtub where the deluxe has a shower stall instead.  There is a 2 person couch in the deluxe rather than a 3 person couch in the mini.  The drawback is the meager balcony size.  (Same size as the minisuite.)  What makes the deluxe a better fit for us is that the deluxe has everything we wanted in a cabin but it is less costly than the minisuite which again, is a disappointment to us anyway.

Love those deluxe balconies!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, john_galt said:

I have avoided the Royal class ships until now because of the tiny balconies. I'm booked on the Sky but in an aft suite. A 36 square foot balcony would be a deal-breaker for me. 

The balconies are a little over 4' by 10'.  I think that they are 41 sq ft.  We were on the Regal last week and thought that the balcony was just fine, but yes, they aren't like the Caribe balconies on the Grand ships if that's what you are referring to.

Actually, I'd like to try one of the forward facing balconies...

BTW, love your screen name!

3 hours ago, bmc alabama said:

The balconies are a little over 4' by 10'.  I think that they are 41 sq ft.  We were on the Regal last week and thought that the balcony was just fine, but yes, they aren't like the Caribe balconies on the Grand ships if that's what you are referring to.

Actually, I'd like to try one of the forward facing balconies...

BTW, love your screen name!

I don't think you can use the forward facing balconies when under way.

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Photo of the balconies under the Sea Walk and Sea View Bar taken from the Sea Walk.

Royal Princess Sea Walk

Many thanks for this picture,not much privacy on the top 2 decks below the seawalk as we love to sit out on the balcony on sea days. 

10 hours ago, ashhill said:

Many thanks for this picture,not much privacy on the top 2 decks below the seawalk as we love to sit out on the balcony on sea days. 

I don't think those upper balconies are ever used. I have never seen anyone occupying them during the day any lights in the cabins at night.  

13 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I don't think you can use the forward facing balconies when under way.

We used ours everyday and night on our 12 day British Isles cruise last summer. Very little wind throughout the cruise and a great place for our daily pre-dinner cocktail parties! We had L108 and M108.

23 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Approx 4' X 8'.

That photo is NOT typical of the majority of balconies on the Regal/Royal/Majestic etc.

We booked early, and I picked this cabin because of the larger balcony. If you check the deck plan, you can see which to choose.

22 hours ago, Daniel A said:

DW & I usually book mini suites when we sail.  In addition to the postage stamp sized balcony on Regal's minisuites you may find the redesign of the minisuite on the Regal to be a disappointment.  The "hourglass" design of the minis on older ships gave a feel of two separate rooms and we really enjoy the couch and coffee table.  Now, the minis have straight walls and a curtain separating the sitting area from the sleeping area.  The biggest disappointment was the very small balcony.  It felt cramped.  The problem we had with the minis with the larger balconies on the bump outs was that they lack privacy.  They are under the glass bottom Sea Walk and people can (and do) look straight down into the balconies below.

Do the deluxe balcony cabins have the 2 flat screen TVs like the mini suite?

2 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Not true, although the wind may want you not to....

15 minutes ago, releck97 said:

We used ours everyday and night on our 12 day British Isles cruise last summer. Very little wind throughout the cruise and a great place for our daily pre-dinner cocktail parties! We had L108 and M108.

Good to know.  I had been told that if the ship is sailing into the wind it's like riding a motorcycle.  I should have phrased my comment better.  I meant to say it wasn't practical to use the balcony when under way rather than implying there was some rule.  It sounds like it's more a function of wind direction and speed. 

23 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Good to know.  I had been told that if the ship is sailing into the wind it's like riding a motorcycle.  I should have phrased my comment better.  I meant to say it wasn't practical to use the balcony when under way rather than implying there was some rule.  It sounds like it's more a function of wind direction and speed. 

It can be a bit confusing. There is a decal on the balcony door which states that the balcony is not to be used while underway. Our steward told us to be mindful of the wind, but that we could use it whenever we wished. We were fortunate enough to always be sailing with the wind during our cruise!

I was in L101 on a cruise - the wind is not bad unless you are standing at the rail. Otherwise (if you are standing back a few feet or seated) the wind is forced upwards.

The only time I could not comfortably use the balcony was in a rainstorm. There was no dry spot as the rain was forced all the way to the balcony door.

• Like 1