Symphony of the Seas - Soda Package

marcoulIers

Hi all.  First time cruising and I'm looking into purchasing the soda package ($9.99/day + gratuity = $182 pp) for my party of 4 but my friend sailed Symphony of the Seas in Nov. 2017 and has offered to give me 2 cups from when she went.  She says her cups look like the image on the logo for the Soda pkg currently advertised online.  Does anyone know if they change the designs on the cups or how strict they are with enforcing it?  I'm traveling with 4 people and at $182 pp for the week, this would be a considerable savings (even if we only have to purchase 2 soda packages).  Thanks!

2 hours ago, marcoulIers said:

($9.99/day + gratuity = $182 pp)

For a Seven Night cruise the Per Person total would be $82.52

$9.99 X 7 = $69.93

$69.93 X 0.18% = $12.59

69.93 + 12.59 = $82.52

At least thats the math I come up with when I add the Classic Soda Package in my cart.

blob.png.59c3d49a5ae22e1d7513695dcd7e92e0.png

Thanks Cool Cruiser for taking the time to let me know about the RFID chips.  That makes sense.  

And SciFiGuy, my bad, I  meant $82pp for the soda pkg, not $182.  Thanks for taking the time to post.  Still, $328 on soda for 4 people for a week is quite expensive!

3 minutes ago, marcoulIers said:

Still, $328 on soda for 4 people for a week is quite expensive!

Yes it does seem a lot when you look at it that way but it kind of depends on how many soda's each person would consume each day. Considering the price of a soda on board including the gratuity would equal $3.84 per drink. If you take the $82.52 per person divide by 7 that would equal to $11.79 per day which would equal 3 sodas per day. If everyone only plans on one or two per day then it would not be worth it, but if three or more per day then your best option is to consider buying the package.

Also remember RCCL amended their policy allowing you to bring soda although a limited quantity on board which could help.

Per the RCCL FAQ page.

Q      What kind of food or drinks am I allowed to bring onboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship?

A      One of the best things about cruising is the food! And there will be many dining options available to suit most tastes and preferences. However you are free to bring non-perishable prepackaged food in limited quantities.

While we have many drink offerings onboard, you are welcomed to bring select beverages onboard.

On boarding day, each stateroom may bring up to two 750 ml bottles of wine or champagne, as long as one guest is of legal drinking age. Corkscrews will be provided for guests to enjoy their drinks in their stateroom. If guests wish to enjoy their wine or champagne in our dining or bar venues, there will be a corkage fee applied.

Guests may also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom. Milk and distilled water brought on for infant, medical, or dietary use are permitted. 

Guests who purchase alcohol bottles onboard, in a port-of-call, or bring more than the two permitted bottles on boarding day, will have their items safely stored by the ship. These bottles will be returned on the last day onboard for enjoyment once home.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

OK now lets see how honest you all are? I am not. I always purchase a soda package on any cruise line unless I get a free drink package. I do drink a lot of coke zero when on a cruise. Now, You are required to wait some time before getting a second drink. You are also notified no sharing. Makes sense so as not to share. However. The second drink I might get for my wife. By the way. She might drink a soda one or twice on a cruise. Certainly not going to buy a package for her. You can also go to different bars and get a drink, go to the next bar and get a drink. I have never been refused. Many times the bartender will give my wife whatever she wants anyhow. and does not ask her for anything. Sometimes they scan the card and sometimes they do not. That depends on the cruise line. Going to the same bartender every time and usually they do not even ask any more. Just hand me the soda. Some cruise lines put a sticker on your card. others have it printed on. On Royal, for example the Harmony uses those cups. However, your card also indicates you have the drink package and you can enter a bar and just get a soda without the chip cup in hand. I have left the cup in the theater, immediately went back to get it, it was gone. Went to the bar and they gave me another and deleted the first one from there system so the person who got it cannot use it. Well, I certainly hope I did not put any nastiest in you mind. Have a great cruise.

16 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

OK now lets see how honest you all are? I am not. I always purchase a soda package on any cruise line unless I get a free drink package. I do drink a lot of coke zero when on a cruise. Now, You are required to wait some time before getting a second drink. You are also notified no sharing. Makes sense so as not to share. However. The second drink I might get for my wife. By the way. She might drink a soda one or twice on a cruise. Certainly not going to buy a package for her. You can also go to different bars and get a drink, go to the next bar and get a drink. I have never been refused. Many times the bartender will give my wife whatever she wants anyhow. and does not ask her for anything. Sometimes they scan the card and sometimes they do not. That depends on the cruise line. Going to the same bartender every time and usually they do not even ask any more. Just hand me the soda. Some cruise lines put a sticker on your card. others have it printed on. On Royal, for example the Harmony uses those cups. However, your card also indicates you have the drink package and you can enter a bar and just get a soda without the chip cup in hand. I have left the cup in the theater, immediately went back to get it, it was gone. Went to the bar and they gave me another and deleted the first one from there system so the person who got it cannot use it. Well, I certainly hope I did not put any nastiest in you mind. Have a great cruise.

One thing to note (I've never heard of this actually being enforced, just full information) In the terms of the drink package (at least for RCCL, not sure on other lines) if you are caught sharing with somebody who doesn't have the package they can void the package without a refund and back-charge you for all the drinks you have gotten for free (that the bartender scanned your card for, obviously they won't know about any that the bartender just gave you)

Again, I've never heard of the cruise lines actually enforcing this, but it's technically within their power. And too much unauthorized sharing is what led to a number of cruise lines making the alcohol package required for all adults in a room if one gets it. Certainly possible they will eventually do the same thing for the non-alcoholic packages if they feel there's too much theft going on.