Medallion Tech Questions

cruisedoctor

So, you are wearing your medallion, walking down the corridor towards your room.  When you get close enough, the sensor screen outside your door recognizes you and unlocks your door.  Great! 

Now you are inside your room, still wearing your medallion, and you walk close to your door, on your way to the bathroom.  Does that sensor just outside the door, sense the presence of your medallion (since you are again in close proximity to it...only your are separated from it by the door itself) and unlocks the door...not realizing you are only making a trip to the bathroom?     That wouldn't be safe, because anyone who would happen to be outside your door could come in.

Or, another what-if.  Normally, when one walks out of their room, they check to see that the door is closed and locked by manipulating the door handle.  When wearing your medallion, and walking out of your room, you are again in extremely close proximity to the sensor screen.  Does it again keep unlocking the door while you are standing there...until you get far away enough from your room to stop doing so?   If that is the case, you wouldn't be able to be sure that the door is really locked.

Would anyone who has sailed with the medallion system fully functional, and has paid attention to what happens in these situations, like to comment on your experiences.  Your input would be greatly appreciated.  I couldn't find anyone high enough at Princess who had any in-depth knowledge about the specific workings of this technology.  The only thing the front-line on-land Princess employees know is "Your stateroom door unlocks when you get near to it.".

Inquiring minds want to know...

9 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

So, you are wearing your medallion, walking down the corridor towards your room.  When you get close enough, the sensor screen outside your door recognizes you and unlocks your door.  Great! 

Now you are inside your room, still wearing your medallion, and you walk close to your door, on your way to the bathroom.  Does that sensor just outside the door, sense the presence of your medallion (since you are again in close proximity to it...only your are separated from it by the door itself) and unlocks the door...not realizing you are only making a trip to the bathroom?     That wouldn't be safe, because anyone who would happen to be outside your door could come in.

Yes, that can happen. While it didn't happen on the way to the bathroom, it would happen when I stood in front of the mirror near the door. If you talk to the Navigators (the ones running the Medallion things) they can get the distance adjusted. They shortened my distance to avoid that from happening again.

Or, another what-if.  Normally, when one walks out of their room, they check to see that the door is closed and locked by manipulating the door handle.  When wearing your medallion, and walking out of your room, you are again in extremely close proximity to the sensor screen.  Does it again keep unlocking the door while you are standing there...until you get far away enough from your room to stop doing so?   If that is the case, you wouldn't be able to be sure that the door is really locked.

We would always check that our door was locked (habit, I guess) and never had a problem with it unlocking when we did that. On the other hand, if we stood near our door for a while and talked to our cabin steward, after a few moments it would unlock again. I couldn't tell you exactly how long after we closed the door, but it did happen if we stood right there by the door for a couple minutes (maybe even one? - I never timed it).

Would anyone who has sailed with the medallion system fully functional, and has paid attention to what happens in these situations, like to comment on your experiences.  Your input would be greatly appreciated.  I couldn't find anyone high enough at Princess who had any in-depth knowledge about the specific workings of this technology.  The only thing the front-line on-land Princess employees know is "Your stateroom door unlocks when you get near to it.".

I spent a full month on the Caribbean Princess with the Medallion. Ask away.

Inquiring minds want to know...

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

This was a problem early on with cruisers leaving their cabin and immediately turning around to check it. There is now a time out of I believe 10 seconds before the door will unlock.

If you talk to the Navigators (the ones running the Medallion things) they can get the distance adjusted. They shortened my distance to avoid that from happening again. Testing to see what the right distance is, has been a tough one as everyone is different as to how fast they reach for the door or how fast they walk. I think I was told the sweet spot was about 2.5 feet, but that was info flowed down last June. It could be OBE by now.

22 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

Does that sensor just outside the door, sense the presence of your medallion and unlocks the door...

The answer is yes. I hung my pants on a hanger in the closet with the medallion in the pocket. While lying on the bed watching TV, I heard the door unlocking, frequently. After moving the medallion away it stopped. Now you must understand that I don't think of this any more than a funny anecdote since I don't believe there are people on a cruise ship looking to get into my room. 

Have a great cruise and try not to think of the boogie man, Jim

12 minutes ago, daydreamer16 said:

I think I read somewhere that you can order a drink from the bar, say at the pool and they will be able to find where you are sitting with your medallion? I'm assuming ordering through your phone?

Yes,

I'm a bit newbie, but from what I have read, there is an app you can download on board that lets you do this. There is another thread that someone posted this info to.

34 minutes ago, jeanandjim said:

The answer is yes. I hung my pants on a hanger in the closet with the medallion in the pocket. While lying on the bed watching TV, I heard the door unlocking, frequently. After moving the medallion away it stopped. Now you must understand that I don't think of this any more than a funny anecdote since I don't believe there are people on a cruise ship looking to get into my room. 

Have a great cruise and try not to think of the boogie man, Jim

From what others have posted, you can go down and have the range shortened. 

On a cruise several years ago, we had a lady walk into our room about 2 in the morning and turn on the light. I jumped up in my full glory to see the older lady shaking her finger saying no, no, no as she backed out. Turns out she had "escaped" her room and security and her daughter were searching for her as she was suffering from alzheimer's.

She was able to get in because, even though we would here a click, the door was never completely locked. We only found this out after three days and never lost a single item from the room. Needless to say, maintenance was there the next morning fixing it.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Idahospud:  Will the Medallion work with an iWatch?  Is there a tech onboard each ship to make those adjustments?  

Good questions!

I would guess not, but I don't have an iWatch so someone else will have have to chime in on that one. I'll be on my next Medallion cruise in May so I won't be able to get you a specific answer sooner than that.

There are "Navigators" (folks in charge of the Medallion things) on the Medallion Class ships. They can help you with anything Medallion-related. They have certain hours for sea days and port days. I've found them to be very helpful.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

On a related note, how do I order a drink with Medallion?  If you've downloaded OceanReady, is there something else that needs to be downloaded too?

You use the Ocean Now app. It's available from the Apple App Store or from Google Play.

From Princess:

Drinks Find You Wherever You Are

With OceanNow™, you can order drinks from your device to your location. Your Medallion tells crew members where you are and sends them directly to you so you won't miss a moment of relaxation and enjoyment.

23 minutes ago, Thrak said:

You use the Ocean Now app. It's available from the Apple App Store or from Google Play.

From Princess:

Drinks Find You Wherever You Are

With OceanNow™, you can order drinks from your device to your location. Your Medallion tells crew members where you are and sends them directly to you so you won't miss a moment of relaxation and enjoyment.

Thanks.  Found that one and am downloading it too. 

49 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Were you able to log into Ocean Now, thrak?  Or do we need to wait until we're onboard?  TIA.

I can log in now and it shows how long until our cruise but if I press the button to activate it, it says it’s not available.  I think that means I won’t get my martini while I am watching tv at home.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Idahospud:  Will the Medallion work with an iWatch?  Is there a tech onboard each ship to make those adjustments?  

Good questions!

1 hour ago, CruisingJs said:

I can log in now and it shows how long until our cruise but if I press the button to activate it, it says it’s not available.  I think that means I won’t get my martini while I am watching tv at home.

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Good questions!

I don’t think so. I have an Apple Watch. I have all three of the Ocean apps installed on my iPhone. None of them show in the last of available apps for the watch.

I was on Ocean Medallion cruise last month.  The main apps (if you choose to use your smartphone), would be ocean now; for ordering drinks and finding your shipmates,  ocean concierge which is tied to ships intranet. With this app you can order room service, check your folio, see daily patters.  You don't need to use a smartphone; as the medallion will open your cabin, and you can use digital touch screens for other ship functions.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Were you able to log into Ocean Now, thrak?  Or do we need to wait until we're onboard?  TIA.

I've never yet sailed on a medallion cruise. Our cruise on CB in March of 2018 was "supposed to be" the first medallion cruise on that ship but it didn't happen. I know they finally have the medallion on CB now but they failed to meet their originally projected date.

• Like 1

We cruised in February on the Regal in it's last voyage before the medallion was to be totally installed. They still had techies onboard ironing out wrinkles. Of the four of us, one had issues with her medallion. As there is no promenade deck, we would walk the halls after the carts disappeared. One of us would walk by a strangers room and it would greet her with a name (not hers) but it wouldn't unlock the door. She went to the passenger service desk and they told her her battery was dying, thus causing her issue. She was given a new medallion or battery, don't know which. I found that as I walked by some doors, I would see the green arrows starting the process of welcoming me but it wouldn't unlock. We always hang our lanyards on a magnet on the other side of the mirror next to the door and never had an issue with it unlocking the door. 

kitty2264,  you won't be able to create a log in too far in advance.  I created mine in Dec for my Feb cruise.  I tried in Nov and it would not take it.  The new medallion apps have some issues that princess tech support is working on.  The only app you need prior to cruise is ocean ready.  Ocean now will only work once on the ship.  You can download it now but it won't be functional until on the ship;  ocean now allows you to order food and drinks and find your shipmate.  Ocean ready is the app that gives you your boarding pass;  the number one app you will use on the ship will be ocean compass.  This app is part of the medallion net program and the ships intranet;  so you won't have access to it until you board;  ocean compass allows you to order room service, check your cabin folio, read the daily patters, and some other things.  Have fun with the ocean medallion program;  it is a fun program

On 3/21/2019 at 9:52 PM, billco said:

I don’t think so. I have an Apple Watch. I have all three of the Ocean apps installed on my iPhone. None of them show in the last of available apps for the watch.

That is correct, the Ocean Apps are not available to download on Apple Watches.

Would anyone know what, if any, differences there are in functionality, capabilities, etc, between the Medallion and the new RFID-enables cruise card, or are they absolutely identical in use? Princess seems pretty clear that for now they will offer customers the option of a cruise card or Medallion, though I've seen many comments to the effect that eventually, only Medallions would be offered. I'm only asking because from what I've seen of the Medallions, while small in surface area, the seem thick enough (1/8"? 3/16"? Tough to tell from Youtube videos)  that I'm not sure how well they will sit in my wallet which is where it will reside when not in use. A nice flat card would probably be my preference when available. Just want to help myself decide what to ask for when we board the Royal on 4/26.  TIA

I used the medallion last month on Caribbibean Princess.  The cruise card is flat and sits in a t-shirt pocket or pants pocket for men.  The medallion I wore on lanyard.  I guess for ease of use;  if I ordered a drink at the bar or bought something in gift shop; my medallion was on the lanyard so I could sit it on the scanning machine at the bar or gift shop.  Same process with the key card;  pull out of pants or shirt pocket and lay it on scanner.  If you have an apple watch(which I do),  I use it for paying check in restaurants, grocery and pharmacies.  I flick my wrist and pay.  The medallion works on same principle as apple pay with your apple watch(if you have one).  For me the medallion program was seamless and required no learning curves.  Hope this helps

8 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I used the medallion last month on Caribbibean Princess.  The cruise card is flat and sits in a t-shirt pocket or pants pocket for men.  The medallion I wore on lanyard.  I guess for ease of use;  if I ordered a drink at the bar or bought something in gift shop; my medallion was on the lanyard so I could sit it on the scanning machine at the bar or gift shop.  Same process with the key card;  pull out of pants or shirt pocket and lay it on scanner.  If you have an apple watch(which I do),  I use it for paying check in restaurants, grocery and pharmacies.  I flick my wrist and pay.  The medallion works on same principle as apple pay with your apple watch(if you have one).  For me the medallion program was seamless and required no learning curves.  Hope this helps

Interesting. You had both a Medallion AND an RFID card? I'd prefer that if I can to try both "form factors" I don't like things hanging off me (so no lanyards), and one watch is enough,  but I'd like to see how the Medallion works just sitting in a pocket (and how easy it is to have it fall out if I contort myslef the wrong way ;o) I'm not Apple, but I do have Samsung pay on our phones and my Galaxy watch, but I'm not sure I'll even be bringing it this trip.  Thanks for the great intel.