What a Wonderful World

DrTee

Maybe they bought rights to use it without royalties.

Sadly, most people don't understand copyright and freely use photos, books, newspapers. etc. without attribution to the maker or consideration that they don't have the right to use the Intellectual Property like a song without paying for it.  I am a photographer and it's commonplace to have your work stolen.

I agree it’s probably a set agreement. 

As for why I want to know, I have a professional interest in intellectual property., And I’m always interested in the way these things are worked out. I know from first-hand experience that estates can be quite demanding in terms of paying royalties.  I’ve worked with the heirs of writers who have died, and they often want more than the original author would’ve ever expected. 

• Like 2

On 3/21/2019 at 8:48 PM, DrTee said:

I agree it’s probably a set agreement. 

As for why I want to know, I have a professional interest in intellectual property., And I’m always interested in the way these things are worked out. I know from first-hand experience that estates can be quite demanding in terms of paying royalties.  I’ve worked with the heirs of writers who have died, and they often want more than the original author would’ve ever expected. 

Hi DrTee,

I used to be the secretary for a Barbershop Chorus.  We had to pay royalties on the songs we sang ONLY in concerts where we charged admission.  When we performed for groups at no charge, no royalties.  We also could pay an annual blanket fee to cover lots of concerts if your group did more than two or three...

Regards.

G