Mid priced River Cruise line

need2travel1

Hi All,

My husband & I are looking into doing another river cruise-we've done 3 ( all w/ Uniworld & loved all of them)  They are at the top of our vacation budget though so I was wondering if anyone has traveled w/ Avalon?  Or if there is another middle-priced line out there we could look into?                                                                                                                                                            Any & all opinions/ideas are welcome!    Thanks!

We did one cruise with Avalon, and missed the level of "attention" we received with Uniworld. I will say we only did a 5 night cruise, and the next cruise was a charter, so that may have had something to do with it. We loved the panorama suite and bathroom size. Also liked having a fridge in the room. We didn't like a set dinner time, but they have changed that recently. I would try them again, with a longer itinerary, and the right price. I do want to try Amawaterways. Also, take a look at Amadeus.

Robin

We've only cruised mid-priced lines (Viking-3x, Vantage-2x, and Avalon-2x). Of these three, Avalon is our current favorite. As mentioned earlier, the staterooms are great. Food, excursions, etc. were similar to Viking. As someone said earlier, AMA might be another good choice. I hear great things about their food. 

I’ve done two Avalon cruises and one Amawaterways. I’m currently booked on a Uniworld. Avalon is a good product, but when comparing you need to do an item by item comparison price wise. For example on Uniworld, transfers are included for all. On Uniworld all beverages are included all day. On Avalon wine and beer only included at meals. Same with soft drinks. Avalon there are many optional tours that you pay extra. 

Please let us know who you end up with.  After many trips with Uniworld, I agree, they are pricing themselves out of our comfort level.  We have looked at AMA, Scenic and Emerald, but my gut isn't  ready to commit.

Thanks,

RB

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2019 at 10:22 PM, Ritabob said:

Please let us know who you end up with.  After many trips with Uniworld, I agree, they are pricing themselves out of our comfort level.  We have looked at AMA, Scenic and Emerald, but my gut isn't  ready to commit.

Thanks,

RB

Hi Ritabob,

We wound up booking w/ Uniworld again-Castles Along the Rhine.  We were able to take advantage of their Best Offer Ever deal for 30% off combined w/ our River Heritage discount which made it just back into our travel budget.  The caveat being that we are now traveling "Aquarium Class" instead of French Balcony but we're going in July so hopefully we'll be able to take advantage of the sundeck-my favorite part of every river cruise ship!  

I know how you feel about not being able to commit to another line.  We kicked around a lot of options but couldn't commit either.