Cruise Critic Community
Jinn

Kindle downloads

Have you ever downloaded a kindle book while on a cruise?  There are 3 books I want to read which will be published while I'm on my next cruise.

I thought I would pre-order and download if that works.  Advice?  Thanks, Julia

Whilst I haven’t tried recently the amount of data a e-book requires should be easily accomodated by the bandwidth available on the ship - so I don’t believe you would strike any issues with this 

2 hours ago, Jinn said:

Have you ever downloaded a kindle book while on a cruise?  There are 3 books I want to read which will be published while I'm on my next cruise.

I thought I would pre-order and download if that works.  Advice?  Thanks, Julia

It took a little bit longer but I have successfully  downloaded Kindle Books while on-board both ships since the internet has been enhanced.  This includes two books that I downloaded since we boarded Serenity in late December.

Keith

Thanks to both of you.  I'll give it a shot.  Julia.

It depends on the type of Kindle you have.  The log in process on the ship is a two tier log in.  My Kindle Paperwhite does not allow for the two tier log in.  Some other Kindles may be able to do this.  If you have an iPad with the Kindle app you could probably get it to work there.

17 hours ago, hubbards said:

It depends on the type of Kindle you have.  The log in process on the ship is a two tier log in.  My Kindle Paperwhite does not allow for the two tier log in.  Some other Kindles may be able to do this.  If you have an iPad with the Kindle app you could probably get it to work there.

Excellent point.

In my case I use the Kindle App on an iPad.

A good  reminder that the  type of device and even the type of browser can make a difference not only for a Kindle Book but in the case of browsers for other things.

Keith

I have the Kindle Paper white too and when I realised I couldn't download books because of the two tier log in I used the wifi hotspot on my iPhone and was able to download books very quickly.