Buses - Aruba & Curacao! Yes you can!

Fishbone

I’m posting this on both the Aruba & Curaçao boards so that those who like to take the bus, like me, will know that it is an easy and cost saving alternative! 

We just returned from another Southern Caribbean cruise aboard Carnival Conquest, which included stops in Aruba & Curaçao. We’ve recently cruised there twice before & also took buses on those occasions. 

We are a party of 4 - my husband & myself (40s), my son (8), and my super awesome old mom (70). 

ARUBA
In Aruba, we went to Arashi Beach, which I love. To get there, we simply got off the ship & walked across the parking lot to the bus station (Oranjestad Bus Terminal), which is literally directly across from the terminal. Across the main road (Lloyd G Smith Blvd).

There is a ticket booth that sells tickets from a window - $5 (US dollars) per person, round trip. If the ticket booth is closed, you can purchase tickets directly on the bus. I believe a taxi was $26 one way, so we saved about $32.

The bus to Arashi also includes many other stops, including Eagle & Palm Beach. But not all buses go to Arashi, so be sure to ask the bus driver. This trip, we waited less than 5 minutes before the bus arrived. Last trip we waited 30 minutes. There’s a few benches to sit on while you wait.

Sorry, I do not have the bus schedule, as I did not intend to post about the bus, but if I remember correctly, I think the bus to Arashi comes once an hour at the :40-:45 mark? 

The bus will drop you off directly at Arashi beach. I think it took about 20 minutes. 

The bus from Arashi comes once an hour around the top of the hour. You get back on the bus at the same place in the parking lot as you were dropped off. 

Buses are filled with both locals and travelers. Aruba buses look just like regular buses here in the States.

Someone overheard that we were headed to the bus & asked if they could follow us. Suddenly, we had lots of people trailing us. There is no problem taking the bus in Aruba. It’s really easy, safe, efficient & saves a few bucks. 

CURAÇAO 
In Curaçao we went to Mambo Beach, which sometimes gets negative reviews, but we love it. It takes a little longer to get to the bus station in Curaçao vs Aruba. The walk takes about fifteen minutes, but there are many fantastic photo opportunities along the way. 

We walked along the designated walking path from the terminal to the fort (a shopping area). We walked through the fort, along the water to the swinging bridge. We crossed the bridge & walked along the water, around the corner to the Ronde Markt - a round open market building in which locals sell their wares. The bus station is on the other side of the market. 

The buses in Curaçao do not look like regular city buses like here in the States. They are small white mini vans with wooden signs listing stops.

There is a small ticket booth, but they pointed us to the vans. Multiple vans were waiting. We asked the first van if he was going to Mambo & he pointed us to the correct van. The driver happily let us in & off we went.

There were only locals on the bus & they were dropped off directly in front of their homes. It took approximately 10-15 minutes to get to Mambo. $2 per person, one way. 

The bus picks you up in the same location as you are dropped off. 

Please note that the taxi guys at Mambo are relentless. On our very first trip, while waiting for the bus, a taxi guy aggressively approached me & said the bus was not coming, blah, blah, blah. He loudly went on & on, essentially demanding that we take a cab. Although I was secretly very intimidated & my stomach was doing backflips, I looked him right in the eye & loudly told him that I’ve been coming to Mambo for years & always take the bus (it was actually my first time there ever). We loudly argued for a few minutes & then he pointed to the bus that had just arrived & said “there’s your bus” & then walked away. The bus driver told me that the taxi drivers hate the bus drivers. I now tell the bus driver this story on the way to Mambo & he always confirms he’ll be back & shows me where to wait. 

The bus back to town drops you off at the same location. Instead of walking along the water, we cut across the town to Queen Wilhelmina Park, to take pictures at the famous Curaçao & Dushi signs. Then we walked towards the swinging bridge & back to the ship. 

I love to take the bus in Curaçao. The walk is so scenic. It’s really very simple & also cost effective. 

So there you go. Don’t hesitate to take the bus in Aruba or Curaçao! You can do it! Save a few bucks & spend the money on some local food - eat a few “bitterballen” for me or drink a cold local beer for my old mom. 

By the way, none of us had any difficulty with the walks to the bus stops. My husband is super fit & it was no problem for him. My super awesome & fit old mom is 70 & it was no problem for her. Our son is 8 & great & also super fit & he had no problem. “But they are all fit”, you say ... no worries ... my “bitterballen” eating self is NOT super fit & I had no problem. But I am super at eating bitterballen & taking the bus!

Safe travels!

Edited by Fishbone
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 5

Unfortunately, I'm unable to answer your question as I have not been to Aruba or Curacao on Christmas itself. However, three cruises ago, we cruised the first week of December and I can tell you that Curacao was beautifully decorated for the holidays. There were many lights, decorations, and a Christmas tree. The swinging bridge was all lit up & it was fun to cross under all of the lights. It was extremely beautiful.

I can tell you in Aruba you won’t be able to buy the round trip ticket mentioned above on a holiday.  We happened to be there during Carnival and the booth was closed. Purchased a one way ticket on the bus $2.60pp ($8 for 3 of us since the driver didn’t have change).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are actually 2 kinds of buses in Curacao--the minivans mentioned above and full size buses.  Unfortunately, the official buses do not run very frequently--the 6A bus that goes past Mambo beach departs town at 07:15, 08:30, 10:15, 11:30, 12:45, and 2:15.  The return bus probably would come 20 - 30 minutes before the time of the next departure from town.  The cost is $1.  With the limited runs of the buses, the vans may be a better option.  We used the same bus to get to Tugboat to snorkel.  For this, we got off at Caracasbai and walked in--about a mile.  Cabs are expensive in Curacao so major savings taking the bus.

We were in Aruba on Good Friday and the kiosk for buying the round trip cards was closed.  Fortunately I had brought more than the $10 bill I had planned to use to buy the card.

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2019 at 7:23 AM, Fishbone said:

I’m posting this on both the Aruba & Curaçao boards so that those who like to take the bus, like me, will know that it is an easy and cost saving alternative! 

We just returned from another Southern Caribbean cruise aboard Carnival Conquest, which included stops in Aruba & Curaçao. We’ve recently cruised there twice before & also took buses on those occasions. 

We are a party of 4 - my husband & myself (40s), my son (8), and my super awesome old mom (70). 

ARUBA
In Aruba, we went to Arashi Beach, which I love. To get there, we simply got off the ship & walked across the parking lot to the bus station (Oranjestad Bus Terminal), which is literally directly across from the terminal. Across the main road (Lloyd G Smith Blvd).

There is a ticket booth that sells tickets from a window - $5 (US dollars) per person, round trip. If the ticket booth is closed, you can purchase tickets directly on the bus. I believe a taxi was $26 one way, so we saved about $32.

The bus to Arashi also includes many other stops, including Eagle & Palm Beach. But not all buses go to Arashi, so be sure to ask the bus driver. This trip, we waited less than 5 minutes before the bus arrived. Last trip we waited 30 minutes. There’s a few benches to sit on while you wait.

Sorry, I do not have the bus schedule, as I did not intend to post about the bus, but if I remember correctly, I think the bus to Arashi comes once an hour at the :40-:45 mark? 

The bus will drop you off directly at Arashi beach. I think it took about 20 minutes. 

The bus from Arashi comes once an hour around the top of the hour. You get back on the bus at the same place in the parking lot as you were dropped off. 

Buses are filled with both locals and travelers. Aruba buses look just like regular buses here in the States.

Someone overheard that we were headed to the bus & asked if they could follow us. Suddenly, we had lots of people trailing us. There is no problem taking the bus in Aruba. It’s really easy, safe, efficient & saves a few bucks. 

CURAÇAO 
In Curaçao we went to Mambo Beach, which sometimes gets negative reviews, but we love it. It takes a little longer to get to the bus station in Curaçao vs Aruba. The walk takes about fifteen minutes, but there are many fantastic photo opportunities along the way. 

We walked along the designated walking path from the terminal to the fort (a shopping area). We walked through the fort, along the water to the swinging bridge. We crossed the bridge & walked along the water, around the corner to the Ronde Markt - a round open market building in which locals sell their wares. The bus station is on the other side of the market. 

The buses in Curaçao do not look like regular city buses like here in the States. They are small white mini vans with wooden signs listing stops.

There is a small ticket booth, but they pointed us to the vans. Multiple vans were waiting. We asked the first van if he was going to Mambo & he pointed us to the correct van. The driver happily let us in & off we went.

There were only locals on the bus & they were dropped off directly in front of their homes. It took approximately 10-15 minutes to get to Mambo. $2 per person, one way. 

The bus picks you up in the same location as you are dropped off. 

Please note that the taxi guys at Mambo are relentless. On our very first trip, while waiting for the bus, a taxi guy aggressively approached me & said the bus was not coming, blah, blah, blah. He loudly went on & on, essentially demanding that we take a cab. Although I was secretly very intimidated & my stomach was doing backflips, I looked him right in the eye & loudly told him that I’ve been coming to Mambo for years & always take the bus (it was actually my first time there ever). We loudly argued for a few minutes & then he pointed to the bus that had just arrived & said “there’s your bus” & then walked away. The bus driver told me that the taxi drivers hate the bus drivers. I now tell the bus driver this story on the way to Mambo & he always confirms he’ll be back & shows me where to wait. 

The bus back to town drops you off at the same location. Instead of walking along the water, we cut across the town to Queen Wilhelmina Park, to take pictures at the famous Curaçao & Dushi signs. Then we walked towards the swinging bridge & back to the ship. 

I love to take the bus in Curaçao. The walk is so scenic. It’s really very simple & also cost effective. 

So there you go. Don’t hesitate to take the bus in Aruba or Curaçao! You can do it! Save a few bucks & spend the money on some local food - eat a few “bitterballen” for me or drink a cold local beer for my old mom. 

By the way, none of us had any difficulty with the walks to the bus stops. My husband is super fit & it was no problem for him. My super awesome & fit old mom is 70 & it was no problem for her. Our son is 8 & great & also super fit & he had no problem. “But they are all fit”, you say ... no worries ... my “bitterballen” eating self is NOT super fit & I had no problem. But I am super at eating bitterballen & taking the bus!

Safe travels!

Thanks for all of the bus details. This is our second time in both ports. This is what always hangs

me up: payment. Is it USD everywhere? Just take a bunch of $1s? Definitely going to Boca Pistol but will have to research further if a bus goes there. Perhaps we will have to rent a car to

get there. Gorgeous island 

On 6/30/2019 at 1:48 AM, Sea-Bos said:

Thanks for all of the bus details. This is our second time in both ports. This is what always hangs

me up: payment. Is it USD everywhere? Just take a bunch of $1s? Definitely going to Boca Pistol but will have to research further if a bus goes there. Perhaps we will have to rent a car to

get there. Gorgeous island 

I'm not sure if United States dollars are accepted everywhere, but I've never had a problem using them. I always take a large sum of $1 and $5 bills, with very little of any larger denominations. Also, note that in my experience, change is almost always given in the currency of whatever country I'm in - which is fine by me as we collect money from other countries. 

• 6 months later...

Fishbone are you still there? ... we want to take the Arubus 10A to Arashi like you did, but the route map shows the bus turning around to go back at Smith Blvd instead of going up to the Arashi stop, and stopping at the Boca Catalina stop instead.  Did you get off there and walk up to Arashi?  Maybe the Arashi stop on Google maps is wrong? 

3 hours ago, Bob7 said:

Fishbone are you still there? ... we want to take the Arubus 10A to Arashi like you did, but the route map shows the bus turning around to go back at Smith Blvd instead of going up to the Arashi stop, and stopping at the Boca Catalina stop instead.  Did you get off there and walk up to Arashi?  Maybe the Arashi stop on Google maps is wrong? 

Hello! Yes, I am still here, planning my next cruise ... to Alaska! 

Unfortunately, I do not recall the bus number, but the busses we rode took us directly to Arashi Beach. There was no walking involved. We were literally dropped off in front of Arashi Beach & picked up from the same spot. 

Note that not all busses go to Arashi. We had to ask the driver. 

Enjoy! 

On 1/7/2020 at 2:42 PM, Fishbone said:

Hello! Yes, I am still here, planning my next cruise ... to Alaska! 

Unfortunately, I do not recall the bus number, but the busses we rode took us directly to Arashi Beach. There was no walking involved. We were literally dropped off in front of Arashi Beach & picked up from the same spot. 

Note that not all busses go to Arashi. We had to ask the driver. 

Enjoy! 

Thanks so much for the great information!  We are heading back to both ports for the second time in April.  We took cabs both times, so this is great information.

Can you recommend a good spot for us to devour some of your beloved Bitterbatten?  :0)

On 1/11/2020 at 6:39 PM, Derbie said:

Thanks so much for the great information!  We are heading back to both ports for the second time in April.  We took cabs both times, so this is great information.

Can you recommend a good spot for us to devour some of your beloved Bitterbatten?  :0)

You are most welcome! No special place for the Bitterballen! Any place that sells them is good enough for me. There's a place on the ground level of Mambo Beach in Curacao that sells really great street food/Dutch snacks, including Bitterballen. That said, please know that it's nothing fancy! I'm no foodie! I just like to eat! 

On 1/15/2020 at 5:44 PM, Fishbone said:

You are most welcome! No special place for the Bitterballen! Any place that sells them is good enough for me. There's a place on the ground level of Mambo Beach in Curacao that sells really great street food/Dutch snacks, including Bitterballen. That said, please know that it's nothing fancy! I'm no foodie! I just like to eat! 

I hope you don't mind me asking another question.  What type of charge is there to rent a chair and umbrella at the beach in Aruba?  Also, is there places to eat or do you wait until get back into port?  We have been there one time before, but I can't recall the name of the beach.  Any advice on Aruba, Grand Turk, La Romana and Curacao would be welcome. Also, I just like to eat as well!  

6 hours ago, Derbie said:

I hope you don't mind me asking another question.  What type of charge is there to rent a chair and umbrella at the beach in Aruba?  Also, is there places to eat or do you wait until get back into port?  We have been there one time before, but I can't recall the name of the beach.  Any advice on Aruba, Grand Turk, La Romana and Curacao would be welcome. Also, I just like to eat as well!  

If I remember correctly, I think we paid $30 all three times in Aruba. That would have been for 2 chairs & an umbrella. The third time in Aruba, at Arashi Beach, the guy tried to charge me $40, but I told him that I remembered him (which I did) and that the last time we were there he only charged me $30 (which he did), so he let me have it for that. That said, the only person who used the chairs/umbrella was my super old German mom. She likes to sit & drink a cold local beer, or two. I spend the entire time sitting in my floatie in the ocean. We bring them from home & make my mom blow them up (it's hilarious) while we get her a beer!  There's a beach shack at Arashi which is sufficient for us - drinks & snacks. And there was an ice cream truck that drove up in the parking lot. 

On Mambo Beach in Curacao, I checked my notes & it said $14 + $14, so that means we paid $14 to get on the beach & $14 for chairs - but I can't remember if we had 4 chairs or 2? But it was very reasonable. There's lots of food available at Mambo, including a beach bar with great burgers, and a Subway.  

Aruba and Curacao are two of my favorite islands in the Caribbean. Primarily because we can get to the beach so quickly and cheaply. I love Arashi Beach in Aruba & Mambo Beach in Curacao. Both have bathrooms & food/drinks. 

In Grand Turk, we go right when everyone else goes left just for some lazy peace & quiet. I like to walk through the conch graveyard all the way to the end, exploring the rocks & tide pools. I also search for sea glass.

18 hours ago, Fishbone said:

If I remember correctly, I think we paid $30 all three times in Aruba. That would have been for 2 chairs & an umbrella. The third time in Aruba, at Arashi Beach, the guy tried to charge me $40, but I told him that I remembered him (which I did) and that the last time we were there he only charged me $30 (which he did), so he let me have it for that. That said, the only person who used the chairs/umbrella was my super old German mom. She likes to sit & drink a cold local beer, or two. I spend the entire time sitting in my floatie in the ocean. We bring them from home & make my mom blow them up (it's hilarious) while we get her a beer!  There's a beach shack at Arashi which is sufficient for us - drinks & snacks. And there was an ice cream truck that drove up in the parking lot. 

On Mambo Beach in Curacao, I checked my notes & it said $14 + $14, so that means we paid $14 to get on the beach & $14 for chairs - but I can't remember if we had 4 chairs or 2? But it was very reasonable. There's lots of food available at Mambo, including a beach bar with great burgers, and a Subway.  

Aruba and Curacao are two of my favorite islands in the Caribbean. Primarily because we can get to the beach so quickly and cheaply. I love Arashi Beach in Aruba & Mambo Beach in Curacao. Both have bathrooms & food/drinks. 

In Grand Turk, we go right when everyone else goes left just for some lazy peace & quiet. I like to walk through the conch graveyard all the way to the end, exploring the rocks & tide pools. I also search for sea glass.

I can't thank you enough for the great information.  We went to Mambo the last time we were there, and enjoyed it.  I remember the Subway having some interesting offerings, compared to the states. I am sure we will head back there.   I think we are going to take your advise and ride the bus.  I am always trying to find ways to cut costs, and you helped a lot!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/17/2020 at 12:20 PM, Fishbone said:

You have to pay to access Mambo beach? How much per person? 

Your bus info above is fantastic. Thank you for that!  I'm a big fan of doing things independently if possible.  In your opinion, is the bus and beach scenario relatively safe for a solo female traveler?

On 9/28/2021 at 1:43 PM, dreams_of_travel said:

You have to pay to access Mambo beach? How much per person? 

Your bus info above is fantastic. Thank you for that!  I'm a big fan of doing things independently if possible.  In your opinion, is the bus and beach scenario relatively safe for a solo female traveler?

Dreams, I cant speak for Curacao , but in Aruba we asked a local store owner where we should look to catch a cab and he directed us literally across the street to take the bus instead of a taxi. We were sceptical , but went with it and I can tell you it was the simplest thing ever. There was never any uneasy feeling whatsoever , just riding with a few tourists and plenty of locals heading home from work on the way back. The frequency of the busses is great as well . If I remember correctly I think they are looping like every 15-20  minutes or so , so never worried about getting stuck away from ship.

Since our stop there , I have done a bit of research as we are considering taking a trip back to the island this winter for a couple weeks , and from what I can see Aruba is considered to be one of the safest islands in the caribbean.... which was exactly how we felt when we were there. Absolutely loved it !

So yes ,I feel it is absolutely a safe option for a solo female traveller !

Happy travels

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised anyone is still commenting on my old post - seems like forever ago! 

@dreams_of_travel - yes, you have to pay to access Mambo Beach, but it was very minimal - two years ago it was approximately $14 for four of us. No idea if that has changed/increased. 

I was not a solo traveler, but if I was, I would not hesitate to take the bus to Mambo Beach. At no time did I feel unsafe. I think it has everything needed for a great day at the beach.