How are the Swans doing, 2019

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Seems that port has done the job, sorry about that Leigh.

Don't have to be sorry Mic, I only went to be with family for the afternoon. The Bombers are my team. Port were much better on the day.

Leigh

12 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Don't have to be sorry Mic, I only went to be with family for the afternoon. The Bombers are my team. Port were much better on the day.

Leigh

No worries, BTW,  I will be supporting the Giants tomorrow when they go up against your team.

The Crows just lost to the Hawks at home, so I am 1 out of two so far.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

No worries, BTW,  I will be supporting the Giants tomorrow when they go up against your team.

The Crows just lost to the Hawks at home, so I am 1 out of two so far.

Unfortunately, the Swans went down tonight. They were down by 32 points at the last change and fought hard in the last quarter to get it back to 4 points but ended up losing by 17 points.

With that, I am 1 out of three now.

13 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Unfortunately, the Swans went down tonight. They were down by 32 points at the last change and fought hard in the last quarter to get it back to 4 points but ended up losing by 17 points.

With that, I am 1 out of three now.

Oh no, bad way to start the season. They probably have to knock off some rust, next week they will be better.

1 of 3--could be worse!

Go Swans

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Giants made easy work to win well, the bombers will need to improve and I am sure they will for round 2. So 2 out for 4 for the teams I like.

They sure did Mic. I was so pleased we had a house full of people so I wasn't sitting becoming more frustrated as the game went on. GWS were very good but the Bombers were extremely poor. I had a bad weekend - bottom of the family tipping comp and the Bombers on the bottom of the ladder.

Leigh

28 minutes ago, possum52 said:

They sure did Mic. I was so pleased we had a house full of people so I wasn't sitting becoming more frustrated as the game went on. GWS were very good but the Bombers were extremely poor. I had a bad weekend - bottom of the family tipping comp and the Bombers on the bottom of the ladder.

Leigh

There is always next week.

4 hours ago, Obilix said:

How good were the Dockers?

I would have thought that, as avid cruisers, you guys would be full on supporting them!

Most will have had their team well before they got hooked on cruising

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:36 PM, MicCanberra said:

Sorry but I have to go for the Power in that one.

Good On You!  POWER all the WAY!

What a great win when no one gave them a chance!

Cheryl

• Like 1

Hi mates

Well, as you may have read, it has been a bad week for Americans who thought we could depend on Mueller and his findings to get our government back on track. Apparently, the US is now a banana republic, and the "report", which we have yet to see has been summarized as "everything is okey dokey" (with some questions). I am completely depressed and find it hard to show much interest in everything. Sorry to introduce politics, but it is only to show my state-of-mind.

So, I have decided to pursue other tasks. And one I have to admit I do not understand is scoring in the AFL :classic_blush: I see that there are 3 scores for each match, and I know it has something to do with how points are scored--kicks, passes, running??--but I don't get it. I could google it, but you are all a much better source of info, and I need the distraction now.

Thanks

Go Swans ( yes, a water bird, which may explain a lot for me!)

1 minute ago, NoWhiners said:

Hi mates

Well, as you may have read, it has been a bad week for Americans who thought we could depend on Mueller and his findings to get our government back on track. Apparently, the US is now a banana republic, and the "report", which we have yet to see has been summarized as "everything is okey dokey" (with some questions). I am completely depressed and find it hard to show much interest in everything. Sorry to introduce politics, but it is only to show my state-of-mind.

So, I have decided to pursue other tasks. And one I have to admit I do not understand is scoring in the AFL :classic_blush: I see that there are 3 scores for each match, and I know it has something to do with how points are scored--kicks, passes, running??--but I don't get it. I could google it, but you are all a much better source of info, and I need the distraction now.

Thanks

Go Swans ( yes, a water bird, which may explain a lot for me!)

The three points are basically 6 for between the big posts (called a goal) one between a big post and a small post (called a behind) then the total.

so 10-7-67 is 10 goals (60 pqoints) 7 behinds (7 points) total 67.

And seems everywhere has political issues, poor old UK with Britex, people voted for it politicians say, no. Here we have elections left right and centre, (just had NSW state election) Federal election looks like May, and One Nation just caught out trying to cut a deal with your NRA.

Just now, MicCanberra said:

It is 6 points for a goal, 1 point for a behind. Hence a score of say 10. 6. 66 equals 10 goals( x6=60), 6 points (x1 = 6)= 66.

I beat you by a behind.

(posting at the same time it appears.)

In Australian football, there are two types of scores: a goal and a behind. There are four posts at each end of the ground; the two middle (and taller) posts are the goal posts, and the two outer (and shorter) posts are the behind posts. The area between the goal posts is the goal; kicking the ball between these posts scores a goal which is worth six points. Kicking the ball between a goal and a behind post scores a behind, which constitutes a single point. A behind is also scored if the ball passes between the goal posts but has not been kicked by the attacking team (e.g., it comes off the hands of either team, or is kicked by the defending team), or if the ball hits or passes directly above the goal post. (If the ball hits the behind post, the ball is considered to have gone out of bounds.) A rushed behind (also worth one point) is scored when the defending team deliberately forces the ball between any of the posts. This may occur in pressure situations where a defender decides that it is safer to concede one point to the opposing team rather than risk a goal being scored.

A goal umpire judges whether a goal or behind is scored. The goal umpire shows that a goal has been scored by pointing both index fingers in front of him at waist level and then waving two flags above his or her head to indicate the score to the other goal umpire. A behind is signalled by pointing one finger and waving one flag.

As an example, consider a match in which the home team scores 11 goals and 12 behinds, totalling 78 points, and the away team scores 8 goals and 8 behinds, totalling 56 points. The home team wins the match by 22 points, and the result would usually appear like this:

Home Team 11.12 (78) def. Away Team 8.8 (56).

The exact convention for punctuation can vary. When spoken, the above result would be reported as:

Home Team, eleven twelve seventy-eight, defeated Away Team eight eight fifty-six.

The first number is the number of goals (six points) scored, the second number is the number of behinds (one point) scored, and the final number is the total score. The final result is decided on the total score only: a team may win the game despite scoring fewer goals (e.g. 13.21 (99) def. 14.9 (93)); and, if two teams finish with the same total score, the match is considered a draw even if the teams kick a different number of goals (e.g. 12.10 (82) drew 11.16 (82)).

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

The three points are basically 6 for between the big posts (called a goal) one between a big post and a small post (called a behind) then the total.

so 10-7-67 is 10 goals (60 pqoints) 7 behinds (7 points) total 67.

And seems everywhere has political issues, poor old UK with Britex, people voted for it politicians say, no. Here we have elections left right and centre, (just had NSW state election) Federal election looks like May, and One Nation just caught out trying to cut a deal with your NRA.

Ohh, that makes sense. So, a goal is 6 points, and 1 point for the behinds? Does it matter if it is kicked or run over the line? Why do they fight so much to cross the "line" (which I mean to be under the extended line from the goal posts) when they can just kick?

Yes, we all have our issues. It's just that we have a complete moron as out "leader". At least others have just "politicians". And, thank goodness for brexit, or the US would be the dumbest government ever :classic_biggrin:

ML,

For example the Swans scored 9.11.65 on Saturday. The scores are written as goals, behinds and total points. Goals are scored when the ball is kicked through the two middle poles. A behind is scored when the ball is kicked either to the left or right of the middle post ie between the tall post and one of the small posts. Or when the ball is knocked through the posts or comes off hands in a marking contest. A goal is worth 6 points and a behind is worth 1 point. So the Swans kicked 9 goals, 11 behinds and the total is 65 pts.

Hope this makes sense.

Leigh

8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

In Australian football, there are two types of scores: a goal and a behind. There are four posts at each end of the ground; the two middle (and taller) posts are the goal posts, and the two outer (and shorter) posts are the behind posts. The area between the goal posts is the goal; kicking the ball between these posts scores a goal which is worth six points. Kicking the ball between a goal and a behind post scores a behind, which constitutes a single point. A behind is also scored if the ball passes between the goal posts but has not been kicked by the attacking team (e.g., it comes off the hands of either team, or is kicked by the defending team), or if the ball hits or passes directly above the goal post. (If the ball hits the behind post, the ball is considered to have gone out of bounds.) A rushed behind (also worth one point) is scored when the defending team deliberately forces the ball between any of the posts. This may occur in pressure situations where a defender decides that it is safer to concede one point to the opposing team rather than risk a goal being scored.

A goal umpire judges whether a goal or behind is scored. The goal umpire shows that a goal has been scored by pointing both index fingers in front of him at waist level and then waving two flags above his or her head to indicate the score to the other goal umpire. A behind is signalled by pointing one finger and waving one flag.

As an example, consider a match in which the home team scores 11 goals and 12 behinds, totalling 78 points, and the away team scores 8 goals and 8 behinds, totalling 56 points. The home team wins the match by 22 points, and the result would usually appear like this:

Home Team 11.12 (78) def. Away Team 8.8 (56).

The exact convention for punctuation can vary. When spoken, the above result would be reported as:

Home Team, eleven twelve seventy-eight, defeated Away Team eight eight fifty-six.

The first number is the number of goals (six points) scored, the second number is the number of behinds (one point) scored, and the final number is the total score. The final result is decided on the total score only: a team may win the game despite scoring fewer goals (e.g. 13.21 (99) def. 14.9 (93)); and, if two teams finish with the same total score, the match is considered a draw even if the teams kick a different number of goals (e.g. 12.10 (82) drew 11.16 (82)).

OMG, Mic, you should be a translator or something. This is the best explanation I have ever seen, even I can understand!

Thanks to all who helped, now I can understand those final score postings.

Go Swans

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

ML,

For example the Swans scored 9.11.65 on Saturday. The scores are written as goals, behinds and total points. Goals are scored when the ball is kicked through the two middle poles. A behind is scored when the ball is kicked either to the left or right of the middle post ie between the tall post and one of the small posts. Or when the ball is knocked through the posts or comes off hands in a marking contest. A goal is worth 6 points and a behind is worth 1 point. So the Swans kicked 9 goals, 11 behinds and the total is 65 pts.

Hope this makes sense.

Leigh

Hi Leigh

Yes, thanks, I think I am getting it. I will practice this week with the scores. I should have just asked you in an email!

When do the Bombers play the Swans?? We need to talk it up!

Go Swans