Roman Forum without colosseum

Luv2cruz1000

No, there is only a single ticket for general admission and it covers three sites:  the Colosseum, the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill.  Still, as I recall the price isn't unreasonable. And the ticket is good for two days, which may not be helpful if you are only going to be there on a port day. 

Here's some useful info on the Forum (and Palatine Hill):  https://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/roman_forum.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

No, there is only a single ticket for general admission and it covers three sites:  the Colosseum, the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill. 

I recall a time when the Forum was free - the charge was for the Colosseum only. Dating myself again. 😐

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

I recall a time when the Forum was free - the charge was for the Colosseum only. Dating myself again. 😐

I remember it fondly too. I would just go park myself on a bench in front of the Senate building and marvel at it all....  I think it changed somewhere around 10-12 years ago.

• Like 1

Such a bummer...the Forum was one of my absolute favorite parts of visiting Rome and I wandered in there rather unplanned. It was mid or late afternoon, I had been out walking all day and to be honest, it looked quiet in there so that's one of the reasons I decided to go in on such a beautiful day late in May. Wow was I lucky!! 

It wasn't until I had spent awhile wandering through there that I started to notice more people entering at other places or perhaps I just needed to find someone to help with my camera for a picture. The Forum was so captivating, I was thrilled that I had the good fortune to find myself wandering through this ancient treasure. 

Perhaps it doesn't get described well enough to entice visitors or the term "ancient" isn't enticing...I guess "old" doesn't excite much does it? But the idea of what came before does, or how did that happen, why did it happen, where did it happen, etc etc, what did it look like? So that when you finally find yourself standing in a place that answers a lot of those questions or you simply find yourself thinking "Cleopatra was HERE!" Or Michelangelo, or Mussollini or Audrey Hepburn on a Vespa. And us...it's like our own sci-fi movie/time travel thing in that moment.

These are experiences that stay with you 🙂 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Perhaps it doesn't get described well enough to entice visitors or the term "ancient" isn't enticing...I guess "old" doesn't excite much does it?

"Ancient" is precisely the term that entices me! 😁

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 9:03 AM, dogs4fun said:

"Ancient" is precisely the term that entices me! 😁

Indeed 🙂

....and after all this time, I kind of *just* noticed your avatar looks almost like my wonderful Lily who reached 'ancient' in dog years (almost 16) she was a Tibetan Spaniel although she had some black markings on her face and ears. Gorgeous, of course. Your avi...could be Papillon or....hmm, my eyeballs are tired and I can't see the texture of the fur to make a better guess! Plus I'm getting too far off topic and I'll get myself in trouble...but I guess I miss my girl. 

She was always well looked after on my journeys though - I'd go to fetch her from my neighbor and she'd come excitedly to greet me.....then run back to her very large shepherd/newfie mix friend Bear. Made my travels nice for us both 😉

15 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

your avatar looks almost like my wonderful Lily who reached 'ancient' in dog years (almost 16) she was a Tibetan Spaniel although she had some black markings on her face and ears. Gorgeous, of course. Your avi...could be Papillon or....hmm, my eyeballs are tired and I can't see the texture of the fur to make a better guess! Plus I'm getting too far off topic and I'll get myself in trouble...but I guess I miss my girl. 

She was always well looked after on my journeys though - I'd go to fetch her from my neighbor and she'd come excitedly to greet me.....then run back to her very large shepherd/newfie mix friend Bear. Made my travels nice for us both 😉

I am so sorry for your loss - I totally understand as I know how hard it is to lose a loved companion. My dogs are family & I absolutely adore them (I have 3 long hair chihuahuas - the avatar is my eldest, Chiquita & she does look much like a Papillon - similar personality too). Like you, my little ones are well tended (house/dog sitter) when I travel but, unlike your little girl, mine do NOT like it when I am away (they go into a funk when the suitcase comes out).

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2019 at 3:49 PM, cruisemom42 said:

No, there is only a single ticket for general admission and it covers three sites:  the Colosseum, the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill.  Still, as I recall the price isn't unreasonable. And the ticket is good for two days, which may not be helpful if you are only going to be there on a port day. 

Here's some useful info on the Forum (and Palatine Hill):  https://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/roman_forum.html

We are getting the super ticket this time and can't see if it is also for two days or just one. It includes the extra things inside Palatino if I understand correctly.

13 hours ago, Preacherman46 said:

We are getting the super ticket this time and can't see if it is also for two days or just one. It includes the extra things inside Palatino if I understand correctly.

Hi Preacherman

I just looked it up on the Coopculture site -- the ticket is only good for one day but it sounds great. I hope you'll have time to take advantage of seeing all of the places that are not always open without advance reservation, such as the Houses of Augustus and Livia.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hi Preacherman

I just looked it up on the Coopculture site -- the ticket is only good for one day but it sounds great. I hope you'll have time to take advantage of seeing all of the places that are not always open without advance reservation, such as the Houses of Augustus and Livia.

Thank you Cruisemom! You are always such good help! We will look at it again and see if we can understand how to make those reservations when getting the ticket. Of course, we had to wait until within the month.

I also remember that you once mentioned a plaque of some sort at the entrance to Scavi at St. Peter's but couldn't find your post again. As you advised, we went there 4 years ago and will now return as we understand so much more. Wondering if you said that it was marking the spot of Peter's death and it was where you go into the Scavi door. We do understand that the "circus" was right there and of course the burial grounds next to it. Thanks.

Edited by Preacherman46
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Preacherman46 said:

I also remember that you once mentioned a plaque of some sort at the entrance to Scavi at St. Peter's but couldn't find your post again. As you advised, we went there 4 years ago and will now return as we understand so much more. Wondering if you said that it was marking the spot of Peter's death and it was where you go into the Scavi door. We do understand that the "circus" was right there and of course the burial grounds next to it. Thanks.

Ahh yes. I think you mean the small plaque in the ground just outside the Ufficio Scavi at the Vatican (where you meet to take the Scavi tour). It marks the spot where the Egyptian obelisk once stood in the center (spina) of the Circus of Caligula that stood on Vatican Hill in Roman times. That obelisk was moved in the 16th century to its current position in the center of the Piazza in front of St. Peter's, which was a massive engineering feat in those times.

The spina of the Circus is also, of course, close to the spot where St. Peter was crucified, but that exact spot is actually marked by a chapel inside St. Peter's a few dozen yards away.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Ahh yes. I think you mean the small plaque in the ground just outside the Ufficio Scavi at the Vatican (where you meet to take the Scavi tour). It marks the spot where the Egyptian obelisk once stood in the center (spina) of the Circus of Caligula that stood on Vatican Hill in Roman times. That obelisk was moved in the 16th century to its current position in the center of the Piazza in front of St. Peter's, which was a massive engineering feat in those times.

The spina of the Circus is also, of course, close to the spot where St. Peter was crucified, but that exact spot is actually marked by a chapel inside St. Peter's a few dozen yards away.

Thank you so much! We will look for it this time and also check which chapel it is.

• Like 1

We were there in March, it was one ticket for both.  We only wanted the Forums so just told them to give us the first time for the Coliseum, knowing we wouldn't be using, they made us pick a time.   We figured it was better than locking someone out in the future.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 12:24 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I forgot to ask if you remember the name of that chapel.

45 minutes ago, Preacherman46 said:

I looked it up for you. I think it's more properly an altar than a chapel, but this page shows the location within the Basilica and explains the art there:

http://stpetersbasilica.info/Altars/CrucifixionStPeter/CrucifixionStPeter.htm

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I looked it up for you. I think it's more properly an altar than a chapel, but this page shows the location within the Basilica and explains the art there:

http://stpetersbasilica.info/Altars/CrucifixionStPeter/CrucifixionStPeter.htm

Thank you so very much!!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Preacherman46 said:

The Clementine Chapel (Chapel of St. Peter) is located in the grotto under the basilica. It contains the sepulcher of St. Peter & John Paul II often prayed in this chapel (tidbit of useless info).

http://stpetersbasilica.info/Grottoes/Clementine Chapel/Clementine Chapel.htm

The altar in the basilica (referenced by Cruisemom) marks the spot of Peter's execution.

You can easily visit both.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 1:05 PM, dogs4fun said:

I am so sorry for your loss - I totally understand as I know how hard it is to lose a loved companion. My dogs are family & I absolutely adore them (I have 3 long hair chihuahuas - the avatar is my eldest, Chiquita & she does look much like a Papillon - similar personality too). Like you, my little ones are well tended (house/dog sitter) when I travel but, unlike your little girl, mine do NOT like it when I am away (they go into a funk when the suitcase comes out).

Thanks for your kind words...sometimes I still look down to avoid stepping on her! That little one knew where to nestle herself, 😉 I miss her so much. I never liked leaving her to go away but once I understood who she *was* and who I'd be leaving her with (good dog humans) I knew she'd be all into it with her dog friend and his people. And she was, which ultimately helped make me relax more on my journeys!

Chiquita is so prettttty! The long-hair chihuahuas are soooo beautiful and I didn't even know there were any until recently - silly me after all these years watching Westminster.  My sister has a chihuahua mix; Luna has a wiley reputation but she's lovable and fun. 

I love the drama of the pre-travel funk, sounds like an intriguing little doggy telenovela. 

Prosciutto jerky con buffala treats as souvenirs? I've not seen them but it could be a *thing* for dog lovers who travel to Italy. 😄

I feel like it's history class mixed with catechism any time I read Dogs4 and Cruisemom lately. Thanks so much for the collective expertise you bring here and share with everyone, links etc., truly amazing.

And I totally did not do well in catholic school, it would seem 🙄 although I am not just now realizing this. Definitely spent too much time daydreaming...probably about going to visit far away places. 

Everything so far has lived up to the dreams 🙂 especially Italy!!!

3 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

I feel like it's history class mixed with catechism any time I read Dogs4 and Cruisemom lately. Thanks so much for the collective expertise you bring here and share with everyone, links etc., truly amazing.

And I totally did not do well in catholic school, it would seem 🙄 although I am not just now realizing this. Definitely spent too much time daydreaming...probably about going to visit far away places. 

Everything so far has lived up to the dreams 🙂 especially Italy!!!

I do love Rome (and talking about Rome).

Unfortunately my heart is aching for Paris tonight (after the fire at Notre Dame). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 12:31 PM, Owenred said:

We was there recently and was able to buy a ticket just for the forum. If you use the Aqua Claudia entrance they sell just the ticket for the forum and it is slightly cheaper 

image.thumb.png.5385cb90e54fc3abd516fb515a03a166.png

This is great news, thank you! Some travelers have expressed interest in only visiting the Forum and so it's good to know that the possibility exists if one simply finds the proper entrance for single visit access. 

Why it's not possible at another entrance....well, it's Italy.