Everything... Norwegian Joy's Westernization 2019!

51 minutes ago, Defhermit said:

Thanks for that! That was very interesting, but it is still just like 2 minutes of commentary about rude passengers... It still doesn't satisfy my need to know why NCL pulled back from the China market so drastically. I feel that if it were just a matter of rudeness they would have stuck with it longer. Pulling out after less than a year seems more like a 'we are losing money on this' sort of scenario, you know?
Like, I'm hoping to find a fullly researched article about 'What Went Wrong In China For NCL'. Maybe the business model of selling tickets to get aboard relatively cheap in order to make their money by the passengers paying for premium services just doesn't work in China? Maybe no one ate at the specialty restaurants or booked excursions through the company?

I just want info! 

other cruise lines like Princess, Royal also failed in the China market and they also moved ships to different areas or use the smaller size ships for the china market.

10 minutes ago, quercus alba said:

Seems tailor-made for Alaska crusing.

I noticed this as well, trying to confirm that the Q restaurant will be there. It's not on the list of dining options available within my booked cruise, but it is on the deck plans.

Having a Starbucks in the observation lounge is a no-brainer great idea, as that is just as much of a lounge (if not more so) than the atrium. Of course, it will eliminate space for some seats, but it's worth it.

Defhermit, bookings for the Joy in China were behind too, had to do something with how they work (travel agent wise). Can't recall the online article. And the popularity of Bliss also meant an opportunity to make more revenue with Joy over in Alaska. A mix of factors, not one main reason.

Joy had a short stop in Taiwan and is now somewhere halfway the East Chinese Sea, steaming up with a steady 24 kn/h, current arrival in Yokohama Japan: ETA : 2019-04-11 20:30 LT (UTC).

Show artists are on board and practicing their new show, judging last week's social media posts featuring Norwegian Creative Studios hashtags.

21 hours ago, Defhermit said:

I noticed this as well, trying to confirm that the Q restaurant will be there. It's not on the list of dining options available within my booked cruise, but it is on the deck plans.

Having a Starbucks in the observation lounge is a no-brainer great idea, as that is just as much of a lounge (if not more so) than the atrium. Of course, it will eliminate space for some seats, but it's worth it.

Yes Q is there. I am scheduled for may 18th trip of Alaska, and I have already reserved my dining with Q BBQ restaurant

On 4/9/2019 at 6:31 PM, Defhermit said:

It will be there. On deck plans and in advertising for the ship.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:40 PM, TheDougOut said:

Watch from 16:50 on...

I have been to China several times and yes that is the way they behave. My wife was spit on walking down the street. I don't think it was intentional, they are just as the video says "uncivilized".  

23 minutes ago, commodore2010 said:

I have been to China several times and yes that is the way they behave. My wife was spit on walking down the street. I don't think it was intentional, they are just as the video says "uncivilized".  

Just got back from China, and felt tons safer at night on the streets of Beijing and Shanghai than I would have in comparable neighborhoods of NYC or Chicago. I'd be really careful about calling people "uncivilized". 😦

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quercus alba said:

Just got back from China, and felt tons safer at night on the streets of Beijing and Shanghai than I would have in comparable neighborhoods of NYC or Chicago. I'd be really careful about calling people "uncivilized". 😦

Perhaps the phrase being sought is differing cultural norms...

Edited by Von & John
  • Like 1

Can someone who has the insider's information help to check the "size" of the Splash Academy? From the published deck plan at NCL website, the Splash Academy is on Deck 5, the same as Bliss, but the size is much smaller (~1/4). I understand that that information may not be accurate but still would appreciate if I could get some positive information before we get aboard this summer. One of the major reasons that we are booked with Joy is the Splash Academy. Thanks.

7 hours ago, JasonShen said:

Can someone who has the insider's information help to check the "size" of the Splash Academy? From the published deck plan at NCL website, the Splash Academy is on Deck 5, the same as Bliss, but the size is much smaller (~1/4). I understand that that information may not be accurate but still would appreciate if I could get some positive information before we get aboard this summer. One of the major reasons that we are booked with Joy is the Splash Academy. Thanks.

I will be in board the us inaugural in 2 weeks. I’ll be on Instagram live a lot. Check it out @cruisebrett 

38 minutes ago, Teacherloves2Cruise said:

I’m sorry, what?

Clearly, “balcony sex is off this time yet again”  lol. 

On a a real note it’s a quote from the review video that caught some of us off guard. 

8 hours ago, JasonShen said:

When I was talking to my “Personal cruise consultant” at Norwegian she told me that they were going to have the same kid zone as the bliss. No “guppies” for the 0-2 year olds. Which is a bummer for us but we still decided to go with the joy over the bliss. It was about $800 difference. I’m assuming that one of the reasons it’s smaller. Can’t wait to find out more though. 

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:56 PM, Teacherloves2Cruise said:

Restaurant changes. 

Restaurant changes - - -

CruiseDeckPlans finally noted the change on deck 8 from Los Lobos to Le Bistro.

JOY was to be a carbon copy of the BLISS - BUT hey !!!

A personal disappointment - I love Los Lobos !

4 hours ago, browniegirl said:

I am very very curious about the spa area.  In the past, my favourite thing was the thermal spa, so with this ship not having one, I am seriously considering moving to another ship.… I am so disappointed!!

I am sorry to say but it definitely won't have a thermal suite. It will have a sauna in the locker room area in the spa and that is it. 

On 4/9/2019 at 5:29 PM, Defhermit said:

Thanks for that! That was very interesting, but it is still just like 2 minutes of commentary about rude passengers... It still doesn't satisfy my need to know why NCL pulled back from the China market so drastically. I feel that if it were just a matter of rudeness they would have stuck with it longer. Pulling out after less than a year seems more like a 'we are losing money on this' sort of scenario, you know?
Like, I'm hoping to find a fullly researched article about 'What Went Wrong In China For NCL'. Maybe the business model of selling tickets to get aboard relatively cheap in order to make their money by the passengers paying for premium services just doesn't work in China? Maybe no one ate at the specialty restaurants or booked excursions through the company?

I just want info! 

NCL pulling JOY out of China has nothing to do with rude passengers.  It has everything to do with $$.  They were overly ambitious sending a brand new mega-ship to China when the NCL brand is not established in Asia.  Royal, Princess, Costa, Genting (Star & Dream Cruises), and others have had more time to create brand awareness in China.  I'm also guessing NCL was not prepared for the business model in China.  Ships are chartered to multiple large tour companies, then passengers have to book via those tour companies.  It creates yield management challenges for the cruise lines which is why all cruise lines are trying to change the distribution system there.  Then there is the issue of overcapacity.  All cruise lines raced to send their biggest and best hardware to China, and that resulted in overcapacity.  The stronger more established cruise lines had the advantage.  All cruise lines, not just NCL overestimated the demand for cruises in China.  They were just premature.  The demand will happen and China will likely become the #1 cruise pax source in the world, but just not yet.  The market needs more time to cultivate.  More established cruise lines in China are still sending new capacity, like Royal sending the brand new SPECTRUM OF THE SEAS.  I think Royal has a better handle on the distribution system and business model in China as they have been there many years already.  More and more of their cruises are being sold direct through the line which is what they prefer over the charter system.  Lastly the Chinese currently only like very short getaways (shopping and gambling).  That means 2, 3, and 4 day cruises max, with maybe a 5 day thrown in now and then.  There are only so many places you can sail to from China in that short of time frame, so cruising destinations are quite limited.  The infrastructure in smaller ports is not built up because cruising is relatively new there.  New destinations will have to be developed.  Throw in the Chinese embargo of South Korea and that created more logistical challenges and limitations.

In the end NCL cut their losses and is sending JOY to a more profitable cruising region.  What is amazing is just how much NCL is spending on a brand new ship to westernize it.  Overall I would say this was a pretty big blunder on their part, but it's just a snippet in their overall profitability so they are not too worried.  Personally JOY has no appeal to me with that massive arcade and no thermal suite in the spa.  I'm sure she will do well though, especially with the family market.      

Edited by eroller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Teacherloves2Cruise said:

I will be in board the us inaugural in 2 weeks. I’ll be on Instagram live a lot. Check it out @cruisebrett 

Just followed you on Instagram.  I’m looking forward to your review.  

• Like 3

On 4/9/2019 at 12:03 PM, Georgie562 said:

More money $$ out of your pockets.... 🤑

I know you might find this hard to believe but that is actually the reason of the entire ship! Most successful businesses seek out to make money.

• Haha 1