Extra for cabin attendant

3 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

$40 tip X 20 cabins +prepaid tips  + wages.  If everyone followed your example they would do very well!

And why shouldn't they? They are not slave labor and take very good care of us making our vacations memorable. They support entire families in their home countries and many  times are the sole bread winners in those families while missing out on their children growing up, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries....all the things we get to do and take for granted. I have cruised as a passenger and worked on ships as a crew member, no one works harder or longer hours than room stewards. They deserve every penny they get.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, mcatmcat said:

I wonder what people call as good service ( doing the bed and cleaning the bathroom?)  I prefer to over tip my main dinning room staff but I always leave to the cabin attendant between 10-20$

For me it's the personal touches, taking to me in the hallway, etc. I've only had one that didn't do their basic job really well. But I've had some that aren't personable at all, and others that are over the top friendly.

Only twice have we felt the need to tip additionally.  The 1st time, we NEVER even SAW our attendant...still don't know if it was a man or woman....our cabin was IMMACULATE every time we entered....but we never, ever spoke to anyone or saw anyone....it was like magic!  They got extra.

The only other time was an attendant who took good care of us....and found my husbands lost wedding ring....and left it, with a note for us.  She got a nice tip.

All the others did what they were supposed to do, and got tipped for that.  No extra.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

For me it's the personal touches, taking to me in the hallway, etc. I've only had one that didn't do their basic job really well. But I've had some that aren't personable at all, and others that are over the top friendly.

only had a lazy cabin attendant and a really bad that was avoiding everyone in the hallways not to say Hello ( that never happens and it was on the symphony ) I dont know how he got there honestly

I tip extra depending on their attention to detail.  I am not too picky.  Just want the ice bucket filled twice a day, clean wine glasses daily, and fresh clean towels.  I tell them up front that I want clean towels, and I refuse to toss them on the floor.  If it's been used, replace it.  Most of them can comprehend those simple requests.  I had one attendant who brought clean towels but never took the used ones away hanging on the door hook.  Sometimes there were up to 4-5 hanging there.  What was he thinking?  :classic_dry:

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tottenhamfc said:

Why do you refuse to put the towels on the floor. Not sure I understand your logic. 

In my case I dont like to put them on the floor I dont know why but I do it because is the way to signal him/her I wont use it again.

6 hours ago, cmh said:

They work hard and I always leave $25 for 7 day cruise.  I was recently on a 3 week cruise and left $75. Who knows how much of that daily gratuity they actually get?

Standard Staterooms: 

$6.25 - Dining Services

$3.50 - Stateroom Attendant

$4.75 - Other Hotel Services

I used to give them $50-$100 extra because I was being asked to make a determination about how much they should get.  Now that RCI processes the tips automatically, I never tip any more.  They as a company have decided this is the best way, why should I argue with them?

It's kind of like the growing trend in restaurants to automatically add 18% gratuity.  I was always a >20% tipper. But if you've decided less is okay, fine with me!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I used to give them $50-$100 extra because I was being asked to make a determination about how much they should get.  Now that RCI processes the tips automatically, I never tip any more.  They as a company have decided this is the best way, why should I argue with them?

It's kind of like the growing trend in restaurants to automatically add 18% gratuity.  I was always a >20% tipper. But if you've decided less is okay, fine with me!

You can remove and save even more!

14 hours ago, Tbucs19 said:

Ok we are good then leaving $150 for the week.  We have two adjoinjng cabins.   

I always feel so bad never knowong how much of the standard gratuities they get especially cleaning up all our mess all week long and doing it with smile.  

We almost always tip extra.  In 37 cruises only one or two was subpar and didn't get any additional.  As to how much?  Well, that's up to the individual.  You'll know how much to tip additional based on how you feel about your Cabin Attendant.  Don't go in this with "I'll give them $150 for two cabins."  That IS very generous though. That averages to $75 per cabin additional.  If you feel the attendant deserves this, by all means he or she will be ecstatic.  If you don't feel he or she has really done much to uptip, don't feel the pressure to do so.  My guess, you'll likely be very happy and certainly  uptip.  

As for your comment "I always feel so bad never knowong how much of the standard gratuities they get especially cleaning up all our mess all week long and doing it with smile."  Don't worry about it.  The pay agreement between Royal Caribbean and the crew members is private and none of our business.  Many crew members do multiple years with Royal Caribbean.  If the pay wasn't satisfactory, they'd leave after their first contract.   I have never worried about anyone's pay agreement with their employer except for mine and my wife's.  Just enjoy the cruise and the smiles and good work of the crew.  It's their job to make sure you have great service and a great vacation.  😎

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TADCruise said:

Standard Staterooms: 

$6.25 - Dining Services

$3.50 - Stateroom Attendant

$4.75 - Other Hotel Services

Per day, per person.

Edited by BND

Remember that if you decide to give extra, do not use the envelopes they put on your bed on the last morning. We were told several years ago by a stateroom attendant that anything in one of those envelopes goes into the general fund that everyone splits.  We always hand him/her cash, usually $40.

Edited by sellwingri